Posted: Nov 28th 2010 3:15PM DarthDan said

I could not agree more, Jef! If AoC would impliment an updated and involved crafting system, SWG's lauded storytelling system, EQ2's outstanding guild management interface, to say little of player housing and appearance slots, I would not need another game. I would just stay in Hyboria.

Here's to hoping Craig Morrison plays Santa to our Christmas wishlist.

*wistful sigh*

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 9:55AM VonWolfgar said

@DarthDan
All he has said is true and would add much. Another thing could be, opening up more RP directed to the existing mechanics of the game itself. Using the skills and conditions of the realm to weave self grown story-lines that run with the plots of the game. Mayhaps a bit like the Guild called Venja. The development of such a system would bring the adventure to an even greater depth.

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 3:28PM rocklobsterchica said

Your Christmas list looks suspiciously like mine. Were you peeking at it?

On a more serious note, though, I think these things would secure a lifetime subscription to AoC from me. And really, they could benefit everyone.

If queues aren't popping and it's still 2 hours until your raid, why not give people something to do and another excuse (that's way more fun and interesting than repeated badge grinding) to hang around in game by giving them a complex crafting system or a house to decorate? Trust me, I played EQ2 and the RPers were far from the only players pimpin' out their houses. People like a place to belong and a way to make a space their own -- that's why guild cities are so beloved in AoC.

It's a similar mentality for appearance tabs. In both EQ2 and LotRO, RPers aren't the only ones using those. People like to look badass at all times, and that allows for it. It's an easy problem to solve for PvP, as well. Don't want a guardian hiding his plate under a caster robe? Disable the appearance slots while they're in a PvP zone, or don't allow them to queue for minis while something's in them.

Guild management is a no-brainer, and probably the easiest to implement. As a guild leader myself I can definitely say it would make *my* life easier. I can't imagine how some people handle large guilds with such limited tools. The more customization and autonomy you give players, the happier they'll be. And happy players pay more. ;)

So what about the storyteller system, then? I bet you'd be surprised who'd use it. It goes back to the whole customization thing...RPer or no, people love to customize, love to make their mark on the world. Look at Minecraft. All you do there is build stuff in a giant sandbox, that's it, and it's hugely popular. Don't knock this sort of thing until you try it, Funcom. You just might find you'll charm a lot of people with it.

Anyway! That's enough blabbering from me. *puts on a helmet, flops behind some sandbags, and pulls out a gameboy*

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 4:23PM Lateris said

I think Age of Conan needs to revisit the Conan lore. They need to stay on track for what Conan is about. It is about spilling blood. The mainstream of the game population in the west don't want the repetitive grind of the token system. They want a deeper game. This is only going to happen with new zones. I agree with the guild management. It does need improvement that could come with web site management. But over all I will bet you this game is going F2P and the grind is the calm before the change.

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 12:15AM Amaxe said

@Lateris

I agree. As a fan of the Howard books, when I first heard of the game, I thought "Ooh, I wanna be a Pict!" Once I found out how limited you were in what you could be, I kind of lost interest.

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 4:55PM Doba said

• Half a heart
This game was a waste of time, no one plays it....

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 4:11AM shanert said

@Doba
On wich server did you play? Mitra: Raids going up 24/7, groups are in the lowest dungeons every day, Tortage is full with new players and so on ... you call this "empty"?

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 6:48PM BasmatiJoh said

I agree with all these points! I really miss the days when I was apart of an MMO with character housing. A feature as small as that really gives the game a great feel of customization.

Something along the lines of a story creator mentioned in the article would just blow me out of the water! Unfortunately, I never got to play SWG back in its prime. A revival of this story telling system would be fantastic and is something I hope one day to be apart of.

Great article, as always! I will be referring to this Christmas list as well for my AoC wishes :)

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 7:48PM Graill440 said

Conan is about the solo hero creating death defying adventures or having others blow tales and exploits that were nothing into legend. He uses people as needed and then discards them, keeping only the most interesting ones at arms length in case he requires their use in the future. Friends have saved his life and those are fewer and even farther between.

This game is all about groups, group this, group that, no one is a hero, everyone is a sub, nothing more. Join a guild or you will not craft, join a guild or you will not finish the mediocre chain quests, join a guild or even larger group or you will never see the trully epic content.

Enough things to not even warrant another look at this title.

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 4:16AM shanert said

@Graill440
You would like that every player is a hero like "Conan"? Really? Read the books again, Hyboria is full with human beings that are not "Conan".

Posted: Nov 30th 2010 12:19AM Amaxe said

@shanert

There were other characters, but few recurring ones (unless you are talking of the DeCamp stories). The Howard stories generally struck me as emphasizing the solo adventuring, though teaming up for some goals.

Hmm, not especially interested in playing the game, but am starting to have a longing for getting copies of the old Robert Howard Conan stories again...

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 8:48PM Kaiirii said

Completely agree. I love AoC however, I would definantly recommend some much needed upgrades. This game has been out for long enough now that we truly do deserve what most games come out with at launch. Some of us have been around since launch still holding out breath and waiting for the day that some rather simple upgrades are made to the system.

Thanks for posting this Jeff it really says what so many AoC players have been crying out for.

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 9:14PM spacejunky said

To see some much needed changes to AoC's interface might actually get me to re-sub my account. I have played the game on and off since launch. There are still many area's I feel the game lacks however, these changes would vastly improve the game play and bring AoC up to par with many other MMO's that have been out for the same length of time.

Good post man, hope Funcom listens to its fanbase.

Posted: Dec 1st 2010 1:23AM jbezorg said

... all these things. But I would like to add some things.

"Nighttime" Adventures in Khemi, Old Tarantia, etc... Bring that excellent quest concept out or Tortage.

A PvP dueling system on the individual player level. At least on the PvE servers.

City architecture that matches the culture.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM