Posted: Nov 28th 2010 4:37PM Daegalus said

Reminds me of Ragnarok Online graphics-wise. I'll give it a shot probably.

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 7:31PM Ariolander said

@Daegalus I really like the Ragnarok Online-ish sprite graphics. I dunno if its the nostalgia about it but I find it very charming.

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 5:14PM Rindon said

Is there a way to suggest games for you to try out for your rise and shiny or do you just randomly pick them?
Have been reading the articles you post and like the honesty. I have a game or two that I plink around in that you haven't done a rise and shiny on and may enjoy.

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 6:09PM Beau Hindman said

Yeh -- see that last little section at the bottom of the article? That will tell you how.

Beau

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 1:51AM Rindon said

@Beau Hindman

Ah I just skimmed and saw twitter and did not register anything else from it. ha

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 6:19PM Birk said

If you're looking for a game to check out, Ashen Empires is an interesting choice. The game has been around for a very long time, and is clearly inspired by Ultima Online. (It used to be called Dransik, before it was taken over by IWG).

It may be a bit old school...there aren't a heck of a lot of quests, and there is a bit of a grind to it. However, the leveling is skill-based, the crafting is -awesome-, and there are a lot of really cool folks who play it.

I would suggest rolling on the non-PVP server, however. The PVE server is called Sanctuary, if I remember correctly. The other one (legends?) is full-drop ganktastic PVP dominated by one or two guilds...so its not for the faint of heart. There is consensual PVP on Sanctuary, however.

All in all, it's a cool game with a pretty huge map and like...3 expansions. Last I checked the implemented buildable houses, naval combat, and player-created dungeons. A very cool backbone for a game, just needs a new influx of players!

Cheers,

-Birk

( http://www.ashenempires.com )

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 6:20PM Birk said

Ah, also...it went Free-To-Play a little while ago. I think you can buy XP pots and such in the store...as well as remaps for your attributes and all the expansions. But nothing game-breaking, as I remember.

-Birk

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 8:09PM Birk said

Bah, sorry for flooding your comments here Beau. The PVE server is Legends, and the PVP server is Heroes.

-Birk

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 1:12PM Beau Hindman said

@Birk Thanks man, I remember Ashen Empires -- but I never tried it. Maybe I'll give it a go?

Beau

Posted: Nov 28th 2010 11:14PM PaperSpeaks said

Man oh man....
Talesweaver must have been the 2nd or 3rd mmo I ever played, the Korean version ofcourse.
It's a very intriguing game, but it does slowly descend into a sort of grindfest later on, the story becoming more sparse between levels.
But hey, still fun.

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 3:33AM SwobyJ said

Oh my god my eyes

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 9:15AM DFuzzy1 said

Holy cow, when did Game&Game pick this up?

My friend showed it to me long ago, back when there was one international server (so you had to keep a paperweight down to hammer the login screen) and fans still wrote English patches for it. The combo system makes combat a lot more interesting (Nayatrei ftw), and it was refreshing to see an MMO that actually put a bit of effort into story and character development. Each character class has a relationship with one or more other classes, and offers their own perspective on each of the cutscenes.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014