Posted: Nov 26th 2010 12:11PM Syesta said

Marathon session'd with some LS mates after the servers went up.
Got *all* of my DoW classes to Rank 12 without much hassle.
SP gain changes are really awesome solo. I've heard some mixed results from people doing R40+ hunts though. More balance is probably needed, but for now, the scales have finally tipped in our favor.

Also, UI is damn-near lagless for me now, working with retainers is a breeze, and custom font usage is just brilliant.
Patch is ace in my book.

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 12:45PM Shirogetsune said

@Syesta

"SP gain changes are really awesome solo."

Solo? As in.. content that doesn't require a group? Is that finally in FFXI? I'd come back in a heart beat if I could solo content 75% of the time... even if it became a huge grind. I *LOVED* FFXI's 1-10 content.... just couldn't get past sitting in Dunes for hours at a time.

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 12:58PM Scin said

@Shirogetsune

Wrong Game.

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 12:22PM Abriael said

• 1 heart
yep, the update was dorwnright fantastic. SE has done giant (and rather quick) steps to prove the naywayers wrong.

Can't wait for the december one.

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 12:31PM Dalrint said

Have they patched in Fun yet?

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 1:23PM Celeras said

@Dalrint

If you didn't find the core elements fun before, it probably won't be fun now. But they did a lot to make it smoother and a more refined title that it should have been at launch. So if you were in the "I like this but its too laggy" crowd, it's worth giving another shot.

Posted: Nov 27th 2010 2:51PM tchuks said

@Dalrint

As the previous poster says, if you didn't find the game fun before, it still won't be fun now.

If you found it fun/interesting but found it to be a chore to do anything (takes 10 seconds to set 1 action, takes 5 seconds to open inventory, takes too much anima to teleport, UI lag, combat lag, leve crafting takes much longer) then you will find that this patch makes the game amazing.

If they would have released this edition of FFXIV when it came out in September, I don't think anyone who gave it a try would have left, in my opinion.

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 12:49PM Valentina said

Haha Dalrint.

While I'll admit this patch definitely looks like it will improve some of the basic/core game functions, I'm not going to touch this thing until I see what they do in future patches over the next few months.

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 2:14PM Zorak said

Major performance improvement for me, and that was the main hurdle that would have stopped me from subbing after the first free month. I'm pretty happy right now, can actually see "the light at the end of the tunnel" and this game working out in the end somehow. Still not quite the game I was hoping for but hopefully they will work in some real reason to party eventually, shocking how far SE has moved towards the solo end of the spectrum....

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 9:17AM Orekri said

@Zorak

They claim that is why they are adding NM's in. To give the players something big and mean to fight that a normal player could not take out themselves.

They also changed the range that the party bonuses apply to encompass something like 9 levels apart from each other. Lets hope those two combine have the effect SE is shooting for.

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 2:57PM Laren said

I wonder how different things would be if this was the release patch... I wouldn't be jaded and i'd probably give this game a shot.

The other problem i have is I cant take reviews of this patch seriously. Fanboys are defensively entrenched and no one else is playing. :(

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 3:05PM koehler83 said

• Half a heart
I don't know what they did, but I find this game much less enjoyable.

Everything they did, they did wrong.

Worst of all, my PC's performance dropped drastically.

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 4:36PM Nenene said

Did they fix the horrible UI issue where you have to go into your menu to interact with objects?

Because if not, epic fail.

Posted: Nov 26th 2010 6:41PM Tazmanyak said

So, will they finally save their game?
In my opinion, it's clearly too late ...
They released a beta-stage game, wanted to push the release while they were not ready for it.
I dont know how many suscribers they lost, but at least, they lost me :/

But i wish ffXIV a long long life, so that the ones that choose to trust SE can have many years of fun in this world's landscapes ;)

Posted: Nov 27th 2010 2:55PM tchuks said

@Tazmanyak

Yeah, this patch is a huge step in the right direction. Anyone playing the game now will tell you the past 2 months were a beta test. Luckily we get 3 months of free gaming time, and after this patch, people really can feel like it's worth it to keep playing this game.

Two months ago, no one would have paid to keep playing the game in the state that it was in. If you still have free time eligible (I think everyone should still have free time remaining) then give it a try. I don't exaggerate when I say that the game is 3X faster than it was, even with identical PC configuration and game settings.

Posted: Nov 27th 2010 7:34PM Tazmanyak said

@tchuks
Sadly (maybe ...) i never was a ffxiv suscriber ...
I saw state of the game in the last beta days, and decided not to order the game.
Then, it's now too late for me. but if SE offers a trial period, i'll certainly give this game a fresh eye :)

Posted: Nov 29th 2010 9:28AM Orekri said

@Tazmanyak

While I currently am a subscriber and plan to stay that way, I would probably tell you to wait a few more months. The people that are currently playing for free are now playing a much improved game that honestly is now worth paying for. Add in the December patch and we will have what the game should have been at launch. The first patch of 2011 should add some more quality of life stuff, but nothing really to move the game's content forward.

While I enjoy the game very much, and my friends and I plan on staying for awhile, I would suggest anyone watching and waiting to play to be patient and wait out the PS3 release. They are working to make that launch actually successful, and if they keep progressing like this it should be. Try again after that comes out when there is actually content making the world larger and adding in things for the game. Right now the world is sort of in suspended animation preparing for PS3 launch. SE knows they can't screw this chance up or their game will crash and burn shortly after. Try it out once they actually start adding content (new classes, zones, pvp, etc).