Posted: Nov 25th 2010 2:00PM Interitus said

One thing I do wish they would add is "refits' for other classes. They have the three ships from the show, great. But I'm a sucker for an Akira.. where is my Akira refit? If you can do it with the ships from the show you can also refit the some of the other ships. It just doesn't make sense to me to go half way.

Posted: Nov 25th 2010 3:50PM J Brad Hicks said

They are as accurate to the Star Trek canon as they can be ...

... and still make an Everquest-style MMO with the Cryptic Engine.

Of course, that's a heck of a caveat. But it's one that would have taken way more courage than anybody investing a couple of hundred grand was likely to have to do otherwise.

Let's start with the worst part of the game, both artistically and in terms of fidelity to the canon: ground combat. In canonical Star Trek, minions with ranged weapons almost always miss the captain and most of his bridge crew; bridge crew usually hit and captains always hit minions with ranged weapons. Whenever anybody is hit with a ranged weapon, whether set to stun or kill or disintegrate, they are out of the fight. So as soon as the ranged weapons come out, everybody dives for cover; this does minions no good. Finally a named enemy (boss mob) comes along who is almost as accurate with ranged weapons as the (player character equivalent) captain. So the captain jumps out from cover, runs to the boss mob, and pummels them unconscious in hand to hand combat. Then and only then does the bridge crew's medic patch up everybody on the captain's side who got hit, either returning them to the fight for the next fight or replacing them with somebody uninjured who beams down for the next fight.

I can imagine playing that MMO and enjoying it. Almost never would ranged shots take out all 5 of me and my NPC bridge crew, as long as we all got back up again at the end of the fight I'm okay with it if it happens to be me that gets stunned. But companies learned from extensive trial and error that players hate missing; every time they hit a button, they want it to do something to an enemy. And they hate getting one-shot killed, even if their pets keep fighting. And due to network lag and database lag, no MMO does a good job of supporting cover, least of all Cryptic Engine.

I would have preferred that they gamble their couple of hundred grand in cash that customers would rather it look like Star Trek than that it play like EQ or WoW -- but I don't blame them for not having the guts. It's easy for me to say, it's not my couple of hundred grand and couple of dozen jobs on the line.

Posted: Nov 25th 2010 10:14PM Ocho said

@J Brad Hicks

My only thought to this is that if you were out of the fight by being one-shot, then encounters where the numbers don't exactly roll in your favor would be disastrous. Basically, you fight all the way through something, then a small random nothing group of trash mobs comes along and, just because they get lucky in their rolls, one-shots you and your entire crew. It would be very frustrating to say the least to be at such mercy to the random number generator.

Other then that, I totally agree!

Posted: Nov 25th 2010 7:09PM (Unverified) said

@placebonation

how cryptic is? dude... they are just riding the money train.. you wanna talk about ST whoring you have to go back about a decade or so... as it stands STO is the best Star Trek game ever made in terms of quality, depth, and ironically it's sucess. how many people you think bought ST BC or SFC III? sad to say it. but as much as STO lacks... cryptic is still a step above the established bar for the franchise...

Posted: Nov 25th 2010 10:27PM Ocho said

@(Unverified)

Best Star Trek game ever made? Star Trek Armada. Real time strategy game that came along about 10 years ago but stands up to today's graphic requirements... I don't hear it when anybody talks about Star Trek games, but it was great RTS, great ST story (involving all the races coming together to fight the Borg... just like WC3, actually...), and had a setup of missions similar to Warcraft 3 as well... but it came out before WC3 did.

Posted: Nov 25th 2010 11:22PM placebonation said

@(Unverified)

Ya if that bar had a stripper pole on it.

This looks like star trek but plays nothing like it. Perpetual had a better idea.

Posted: Nov 27th 2010 11:52PM ark9 said

Let me just ask what is the big deal with the C-Store? I've seen it, and there is nothing that I have to have to play the game. I see products that appeal to the nostalgia of some fans, but nothing that prevents you from being a good fleet captain. As far as micro-transactions go, even EVE is going "micro trans". The game is fun to play and the devs are making more fun. They plan to add the Romulans, open PVP, and other things that make MMOs more fun. As far as the canon is concerned, the only people who recognized the UFP is really only the UFP so if war happens its not the starfleet did not pursue every diplomatic effort.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014