Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 4:25PM ManaByte said

Yup I played a lot of NWN on Aol back in 1995 and 1996! Remember it fondly. Apparently Cryptic's game will be closer to the original game than what BioWare and Obsidian. Bioware basically made Baldur's Gate III with the Neverwinter name. Cryptic's game is sounding more like the original Stormfront game in structure.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 4:25PM Syesta said

Yes! NWN for AOL 1.2 was my first foray into the online gaming genres.
I loved the old gold box D&D games. This was back in '94 (was 13 at that time). After my dad made the switch from Compuserve over to AOL, a whole slew of superior gaming choices became available. On top of getting access to all kinds of BBSes, I was introduced to NWN right after AOL adopted it as part of it's standard service for free.

I wasn't much of an open communicator, but I managed to join a guild of after school players. Fun times. I remember always grabbing a flail and taking center point as in groups, we'd take make kind of a Maginot Line and let enemies come to us. We had to go a bit out from NW gates, as closer to the town, you'd get a lot of bypassing traffic coming through battles.

I didn't really play much after we moved in '96, and stuck with gaming on my trusty Sega Saturn until I left for college, and was introduced to the two-pronged attack that forged my ultimate destiny as an online gamer: Everquest and Phantasy Star Online.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 4:26PM Persiflage101 said

Ahhh... MEMORIESSSS! I played this game way back in the day - was still in middle school. Totally rocked it (on my 1200/2400 baud modem)for at least one month before my parents got the AOL bill. LOL

Good times.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 4:31PM ScottishViking said

This was probably the only gold-box game I never played, but not because I didn't try. In 1991 I still had to get my parents' help to buy new games, and when I told my dad that this game would require even MORE modem (and thus phone-time) than I was already using, he pretty much vetoed it immediately. So it was back to BBS RPGs for me after that...

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 4:37PM MewmewGrrl said

"From 1998 through 1993, Gold Box RPGs (so-called for their distinctive gold packaging) gave PC RPGs a huge boost in credibility and sales."

From 1998 through 1993? Are you living backwards through time or something?

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 4:42PM Heraclea said

I have fond memories of Neverwinter Nights --- and fonder ones of Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (FRUA), released in 1993, that enabled you to create adventure modules using a version of the original Gold Box engine, with fairly complicated event logic.

This was extensively hacked into by the player base, enabling the default art and sounds to be replaced with new ones, and as such that game grew to support adventures set in superhero, wuxia, western, ancient Roman, and other genres. Not surprisingly, there was a fair amount of overlap between the two game communities.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 4:58PM ManaByte said

@Heraclea

Yup both FRUA and Dungeon Hack were great. Dungeon Hack allowed you to make Eye of the Beholder style dungeon crawls.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 5:09PM mrmojoz said

I played this way too much and had the bills to prove it >

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 5:18PM CCon99 said

@mrmojoz Me too! I actually played this when AOL was still charging $3.00 per hour to login. My husband and I had many arguments over this game and AOL's pricing back then. =P

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 5:22PM Ergonomic Cat said

I played a little bit of NWN. But I spent a whole lot more time on INN/The Sierra Network playing Shadows of Yserbius. It was much less massive, but there were lots of other games too (card games and stuff). Man, good times. I can't imagine paying that much now, and this was 15 years ago, when I had no job in college.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 6:10PM UnknownUser said

@Ergonomic Cat

I made the trip from the cano to NWN just before INN shut down along with most of my guild. Don't really miss those $300 a month online bills. Funny, now I complain about $40 a month for two WoW accounts and an EVE account.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 5:50PM Space Cobra said

I caught this when it first debut. Hell, $8 bucks an hours was a BARGAIN! At least AOL dropped their prices by then (I started when it was $12 and don't get me started on GEnie).

Actually, Mechwarrior on GEnie was the first and it was BIG. There were some nice graphical "free" BBS games, too. Even one early game network. And you forgot about MPGNet. They first catered to only Apple Macs, especially with the Kingdom of Drakkar, but eventually transferred over to PC (but keeping the Mac graphics). You can still play Kingdom of Drakkar to this day, too, although owners have changed and they got a free version next to a paid one.

If it was a game, I was there. If it was on AOL, I was there, too. Compuserve, The Source, GEnie, BBSes, MUDs, MUCK and all the derivatives and online lobby-chat-channels (RDI). Only one I didn't make it to was Meridiean 59. (And believe me, Compuserve/Source and GEnie initially charged WAY more during prime-time of 6am-6pm and half-rates after 6pm-5:59am. It was mostly for business that could afford it during daytime hours).

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 6:03PM tic said

Loved this game... RP was fantastic, the courtesy between gamers was for the most part great, and the PvP battles/ladders were really fun..

KEF IN!!

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 6:21PM cic said

(AOL/Stormfront, 1991)

lol, Stormfront!

o/

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 7:16PM Ripper McGee said

Been there, done that. Back during the pay by the hour days!

~Ripper

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 10:42PM SwobyJ said

Oh god, those pixels. Ahh.

Glad I'm 20 years old right now. Just where I want to be graphics-wise (not like Neverwinter, yet not at the point of what we'll surely have in 2015-2025).

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 11:53PM (Unverified) said

I played Gemstone at that insane per hour rate and... yeah, lost a character to an insane monthly bill one month. I was ecstatic when it went to a flat rate then even happier when Simu left AOL altogether.

Posted: Nov 24th 2010 11:57AM Severius said

Memories, NWN was very very cool, especially because I have very fond memories of hte Gold Box series of D&D Games from back in the day. Too bad SSI has long gone the way of the Dodo, would love to see what they could have come up with today.

Imagine this, if you could, a developer creates an engine for RPGs. That same engine is then used for some 10 or so single player games and an mmo over the course of what 10 years or so? And not just quick knock offs but quality games that had very long lifespans, Methuselah like in comparison to today's drivel lol. The Dragonlance series, Pools of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Blades and others I cannot remember. There isn't a developer out there today that could pull that off I do not think. Too interested in getting money from ATI and Nvidia to actually give a flying fudge about the gameplay anymore.

Posted: Nov 24th 2010 1:23PM LordHades said

I played NWN from 1992 to 1996, and then transitioned over to Darksun Online. Both games held 500 people per server then, and that was considered a large community. I remember all the guilds, guild forums, etc that were housed inside the AOL network at the time, and that really was an active roleplay based community at the time.

NWN will always hold fond memories for me, and early in the life of the PVP Ladder Xu X1ang and I held the #1 spot on the doubles PVP ladder for a good while.

Posted: Nov 25th 2010 4:08PM Mavralyn Elythanar said

Vendui' jal ;-)

Lord Hades, good to see you again.

I just wanted to say, the screen cap above (that shows me in front of a gate) is actually from a different community created by old NWNers :D If you loved the old NWN game, please drop by and visit us at www.forgottenworld.com. It's a blast from the past :D

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014