Posted: Nov 21st 2010 12:45PM juanele said

The first part of your article struck a chord with me. I really enjoyed the world and especially loved the melee combat in the game. What ultimately kills the game for me though is the end game grind. I occasionally will resub to the game from time to time just to enjoy the combat but unless there is a shift in their endgame it will never be a long term game for me.

Posted: Nov 21st 2010 4:05PM (Unverified) said

Khitai's insane grind drove me away from this game, I was having great fun until that expansion came along.

No matter how pretty it is or well designed it's instances, making me grind thousands of repeatables for even the smallest of rewards is just rediculous and far worse than anything else on the market at the moment.

Posted: Nov 21st 2010 12:47PM Heraclea said

You omit the third option for obtaining endgame gear: participating in the 24 man tier raids. This too, is somewhat grindy; I wish they could be done twice a week rather than once.

On the other hand, tier 1 and tier 2 are some of the better done raid content in a MMO I can remember. (My experience with t3 and 4 is limited). All of the boss encounters really only have one or two necessary strategies and one or two things you need to keep track of. You generally do not have to grind for preparation to raid in AoC, or spend gold on repairs if you don't get it right the first time. On my server, at least, the LFG channel is full of classes being solicited for raiding.

Posted: Nov 21st 2010 1:55PM Jef Reahard said

That's a good point. My raid experience is very limited, as I've so far been unable to get in with a reliable group of folks that share my schedule. That's on my personal to-do list.

Posted: Nov 21st 2010 3:52PM Justpotatoes said

As someone who recently returned to AoC, this is encouraging to hear. I've stayed away from the forums since my return, to avoid putting a damper on the whole shiny newness thing. I know vets have legitimate complaints, but I'm in no hurry to read them at this point. Having played other gear and rep grindy games, that stuff doesn't phase me too much. Guess I'll find out when I get there. However, I have noticed that LFG frequently shows people putting together raid groups, so I'm looking forward to getting to 80 eventually.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2010 10:06AM (Unverified) said

I'm on my second tour with AoC, and I really enjoy it. I haven't experienced the end game grind yet, but I am having a ton of fun on my early 30s barbarian. It's a treat to look at and I find the combat visceral and action packed. It's too bad Funcom can't seem to get behind this more, I think this game is a lot better than it's reputation.

Posted: Nov 22nd 2010 2:17PM SWILK3RS said

Sadly, the powers that be absolutely will not listen to the player base when it comes to AOC. The game has come far from launch (from here to the moon). I have never wanted to grab someone by the scruff so badly and say "WTF are you doing Craig??" The fixes that could make this game go from mediocrity to awesomeness seem like no brainers to everyone EXCEPT the guys in charge. Distractions kill games. The producers worry about things like horse racing and trivial RP crap instead of just fixing the major issues.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014