Posted: Nov 19th 2010 11:28AM madcartoonist said

I was hoping it wouldn't be released as an expansion though. Just released in smaller chunks even if it came out all at the same time. Won't VIP people still end up paying for it? I know expansions for subscription games are nothing new but I was hoping for a couple of adventure packs so the VIP would feel all the more the better choice. Anytime VIP and F2P players have to buy the same thing it feels a little like what is the point. I don't mean for this to sound so whiny as I am actually really happy about all the new stuff and I do realize there are other benefits to VIP besides the adventure packs!

Posted: Nov 19th 2010 1:07PM (Unverified) said

It seems to me that the game has focused far too much on the F2P (non-paying) customers since MoM. My assumption being that SoM was diminished due to so many resources put onto the F2P implementation. Being both a life-timer and a regular subscriber (on another account), I certainly don't feel like I've been getting my money's worth from the post MoM efforts. I rather think that I have been subsidizing work to make the game appeal to deadbeats. IMO Turbine needs to step up the content efforts a bit more. Paying subscribers do not really care so much about expanding the game for free players (at least I don't.)

Posted: Nov 19th 2010 2:30PM hami83 said

You get 500 points a month on your accounts do you not? You essentially get all xpacs free?

I understand the frustration that there's nothing new for subs but they JUST switched to F2P, there was most likely a lot of work to get it running smoothly, and hopefully with more money rolling in, they can work on these Rohan and Gondor xpacs, and ultimately Mordor. Or even north and south of Mordor whatever those areas are.

Posted: Nov 19th 2010 2:03PM Interitus said

I was actually really hoping for Rohan or Gondor :\

I found this a few days ago which actually has an interesting timeline of expansion packs. It's a but outdated though

Posted: Nov 19th 2010 2:52PM (Unverified) said

500 points? You're kidding right?

Posted: Nov 19th 2010 7:49PM mitchgant said

It is very disappointing that Turbine seems more interested in wringing the most money out of the IP than putting out regular content updates. Two years between expansions is crap, and it is not even Rohan. I am sure all the F2P players are very happy with the pace of content releases, but those of us who have been paying subscriptions since the game came out have ample reason to be disappointed. It does seem that Turbine cares more about the F2P model and those players than the VIPs who helped keep the game alive for three years.

Posted: Nov 19th 2010 11:42PM TrendyGuy said

I like that they are continuing to update the game but what about updating the housing system a little? Maybe give a little more customization or at least the ability to place things where I want and not in pre-determined spots.

Posted: Nov 20th 2010 6:49PM ShivanSwordsman said

I must say, that their store is probably one of the fairest cash shops I have ever used. Turbine has set a new golden example by allowing you to gain cash shop money through in-game deeds. Whilst Runes of Magic did it to some degree (IE, selling diamonds for in-game money), this allows you to gain it while progressing.

Their sales have also been quite nice, and especially refreshing after the big middle finger than DDO gave everyone by increasing race prices by half with the Half Elf/Half Orc Expansion. I also feel you should be able to get the same points you get for as much dollars you spend (20 dollars would get you 2000 points), but this is just nitpicking I suppose.

Still, I've held every other F2P game to this new standard, encouraging it, salivating for it, wanting it in ever title. I'd like to see some of the korean/chinese games adopt this principle, but I don't see them doing it when Pay To Win is where the majority of their business and money comes from, even if it does eventually crush the game and the community.

To be fair, the Russians are just as guilty of this too. Allods Online anyone? Still, Turbine has really put a new image of itself in my eyes. I don't see the guys that I beta tested Ascheron's Call 2 for. I see a group of hard working people dedicated to their fans and this IP, and to gaming at large. Hopefully this Freemium thing will be implemented in more games. Not in the way of strangle you for cash (Champions Online, Everquest 2), but in a fair way as currently demonstrated.

Here's hoping WAR adopts this model, and other games adopt it as well. Cheers Turbine, can't wait for the next expansion.

Posted: Nov 21st 2010 2:47AM DiscoJer said

• 1 heart
Fair, really? $25 to add +50 to one of your stats. But heh, it's one sale, so it's only $12.50.

And hard working? 2 years between miniature expansions is hard working? That's a very funny definition of it. Is there a game out there with slower updates?

Posted: Nov 21st 2010 7:03AM ShivanSwordsman said

You forget that those tomes you're talking about, the +stat ones, can be gained in-Game from farming bosses in classic mode. So really, it's all a matter of "do I want to farm and do dungeons or do I just wanna be lazy and buy it". Also, an expansion pack is defined by it's content, not by the amount of level it slaps in. The cap was 50, and they have one to let you go to 65. Moria adds classes and new dungeons/places to do, so these "Tiny Expansion Packs" is something I'm not seeing.

Even then, if you count the changes and improvements they've made, including the addition of new starting areas, changes to the overall system, etc, then you'll realize that it's constantly being brought up to speed and can compete with the more popular MMOs. Whilst it's not perfect, it's certainly better than any of the Korean "Pay to Win" games out there.