Posted: Nov 19th 2010 11:38PM Fakeassname said

uhm .... why not just send $4 straight to the charity instead of paying nexon $2 to donate #2 in your name?

Posted: Nov 19th 2010 11:47PM Fakeassname said

dammit, "$2.00" not the number 2.

Posted: Nov 20th 2010 8:48AM Pingles said

It's a great way to get people who don't usually bother researching causes to make a contribution. I am a big fan of these types of things.

That being said: When the companies only contribute a portion of the proceeds it kinda rubs me the wrong way. The company gets the benefit of the tax write off for YOUR portion of the contribution but they still keep enough for clerical stuff so it never costs them a penny out of their own pockets.

Still, the charity is getting some much needed money. And this is a nice one.

Posted: Nov 20th 2010 6:00PM Fakeassname said

Ndoors child's play "donation" fiasco from last year being the worst example I can think of.

was that only $5, or were the giving a whopping $10, form every one of their $50 "uber" item pack sold? I loved it when Child's play threw their money back in their faces and said "were not here to help you sell shit".

Posted: Nov 20th 2010 9:13AM Scuffles said

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the % donation thing either especially on virtual items that have very little if any overhead. But in the end they are squeezing donations out of people who otherwise wouldn't have donated anything at all .... so I guess its an ends justify the means sorta thing?

Company probably makes a profit off the sales and gets a tax write off.
People get secondhand warm fuzzies and a wand.

Posted: Nov 20th 2010 9:16AM Scuffles said

lol and I managed to leave out the most important part

Charity gets its money (arguably probably more than they would have without the promo)

Posted: Nov 21st 2010 12:43AM (Unverified) said

Just got mine. I would have gotten one anyways, but nice to know half the $ is going to a good cause.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014