Posted: Nov 18th 2010 1:06PM Nadril said

Meh I've gotten extremely jaded about the current MMO industry. For me, personally, Guild Wars 2 and TERA are the 2 last chances I am giving MMO games. If they fail I won't even bother with another MMO.

I love the concept of an MMO but the implementation of them are just really boring these days. It's so hard to find a decent PvP MMO that isn't either just PvP tacked on or a game trying to be "super hardcore" like darkfall. Why there isn't just something that is a good, middle of the road experience is beyond me.

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 1:10PM Halldorr said

Damn it, I thought we were going to hear about a Ren & Stimpy based game :(

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 3:43PM (Unverified) said

There'll be a Ren & Stimpy MMO. When? EEEN A LEEEETLE WHILE!!!

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 1:34PM Syesta said

Total MMO polygamist here.

It's a sound practice as long as you can keep a managed interest in your active games and have a healthy mix of subscriptions and F2P/MT.
It can get ugly if you let it get away from you.
There was a point in time I was paying for FFXI, WoW, EQ2, and CoH all at the same time...

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 1:36PM SwobyJ said

Haha.. Christmas Story.

Ew.. Christmas soon.

Anyway, I like MMOs. I want one for me. I'm still looking. No thanks to most f2ps (expect maybe EQ2, LOTRO). No thanks to WoW (sick of it all except for amount of content, and the storylines, which are explained in shallow ways anyway). GW isn't for me.

So Rift is my number one. I played it for a few hours. It's now my super #1. That should hopefully mean something to those reading my comment here. I doubt I will dislike it, or be disappointed, but if I am then...

TOR is my second. I'll jump on it if Rift doesn't measure up. I'll play it basically for a Bioware story though, which is fine, since I'm a casual. Might even pick TOR up on the side for this.

The Secret World is one I'm waiting for, and hope doesn't let me down. It may let me down.

Guild Wars 2... is too intensive for this here computer I thinks. Even if I get a new one, as quality as it seems... it just doesn't click with me. Too weirdly intense, too 'awesomeness' (had this with Dragon Age and especially the DA2 trailers, and Vindictus), ehh.. It's still interesting though, and I'll be tracking it pretty closely.

TERA is great looking. Not for me imo.

DC Universe looks kinda neat.. I'm just not especially drawn in. Might be a good time waster if all else fails. I like the superhero MMO concept, but City of Heroes was too boring when I tried it, and Champions felt far too instanced and shallow. Need some well produced medium.

So there's plenty of choices, and far more to come. I like this :)

Rift is my current choice. I'm addicted to it.

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 4:11PM Zerdiox said

I highly doubt you'd need a high end PC for GW2

They have stated that they themselves are developing it on PC's that have graphic cards you can no longer buy and they are aiming at mid-range gaming PC's.

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 4:15PM Zerdiox said

• 1 heart
I highly doubt you'd need a high end PC for GW2

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 4:51PM Zerdiox said

• 1 heart
I highly doubt you'd need a high end PC for GW2

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 1:43PM AlamoeJones said

I seriously beg to differ with #5. It may not be as looked down upon as it was, but it's still not "cool". It's still one of those things many people do but don't like to talk about sort of things - internet excepted.

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 1:50PM Pingles said

You can call a Cow a Horse if you want. Feel free.

But you'll be wrong.

You are insulting Spiders to call them bugs.

It's almost as bad as calling a writer a blogger. Zing!

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 2:11PM Brianna Royce said

Pingles, lol. *hearts*

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 2:30PM (Unverified) said

I disagree... spiders ARE bugs... they're just not insects. Bugs is a more general term than insect, and spiders definitely fit the bill.

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 4:03PM nomoredroids said

Technically a "bug" is a species of insect, or slang for any number of terrestrial arthropods. So you're both right. Get over it.

And for the record, bloggers write. They are writers. They may not be authors, or novelists, or journalists, or as elitist as you, but they are writers.

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 4:03PM nomoredroids said

• 1 heart

Posted: Nov 22nd 2010 12:33AM (Unverified) said

Spinarak is bug-type.

How do you explain that then, huh? (Yes, Pokemon on Massively. Cats and Dogs living together mass hysteria!)

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 2:20PM (Unverified) said

I much rather prefer my memories of being an mmo gamer 7-10 years ago; UO, DAOC, SWG

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 3:55PM darrenkitlor said

I'm an MMO polygamist - usually have two games at a time but have played the following at some point in history:
+Age of Conan
+APB
+Asheron's Call
+Asheron's Call 2
+Champions Online
+Darkfall
+Dungeons and Dragons Online
+EVE
+Guild Wars (I know the devs don't classify it as such but it is).
+Everquest
+Everquest 2
+Lineage 2
+Lord of the Rings
+Planetside
+Star Wars Galaxies
+Star Trek Online
+Tabula Rasa
+Ultimate Online
+Vanguard
+World War 2 Online (not sure if this was name, all I remembered was that it was bad)
+World of Warcraft

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 5:19PM Graill440 said

A few of those are good, however the bad outweighs them, no industry regulation or oversight and zero accountability.

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 5:51PM (Unverified) said

Huh? Industry regulation would make MMOs better? My brain is throbbing with pain trying to understand that one.

Posted: Nov 19th 2010 7:05AM DancingCow said

Pay to play MMOs released since WoW - LOTS.

Pay to play MMOs release since WoW that have been polished, and perfectly playable at release? Ummmmm..... Aion, LOTRO, anything else?

MMO developers take our money for products which they blatantly lie about - saying they're great, fantastic etc. Theoretically it could legally be considered fraud, false advertising etc. etc. but consumer protection against that sort of thing is minimal - in any industry not just the MMO one.

A law requiring truth in advertising would fix it, but politicians trying to pass a law requiring some other group be honest would only make people ask why politicians shouldn't also be required by law to be honest. In theory, they are working for us after all.

But they obviously don't want us thinking troublesome thoughts like that!

I can understand Graill's point and industry regulation probably would help. But I also think that free market forces will organically achieve the same result. i.e....

As MMO developers have finally noticed, the price for their behaviour is a consumer base who largely no longer trust them. I haven't seen any stats but I reckon pre-order sales for MMOs ain't what they used to be. I know that I need to see an MMO get positive reviews from certain gaming sites that I know I can trust - and no, massively isn't one of them.

The implicit trust we placed in them has been repeatedly abused. Now it's gone and we're duly skeptical of any and every claim made by an mmo developer.

PR hype alone is no longer sufficient to loot our pockets. A genuinely good game needs to be produced and delivered.

A lot of us were ripped off in the process, but in the end it achieves the same result as industry regulation.