Posted: Nov 17th 2010 11:32AM Mikx said

What is with the cross pollination between these two companies? It's getting weird. Is ncsoft publishing the undead labs game?

If gw2 was closer to launch, I could understand it, but it gives the impression that everyone's getting out while the getting's good.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 12:44PM ZenJitsu said

There's no doubt that GW2 is still going strong, but for those just tuning in, one of ArenaNet's co-founders is the founder of Undead Labs. I imagine the lure of Jeff Strain and zombie MMO is a pretty potent combination for a lot of developers.

As far as I know there's no talk of a publisher yet since the game is still a few years out. Not sure, though. Hm...should probably check their site to see if they have new developments...

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 1:21PM Mikx said

yeah, I know, some of the founders of undead are some of the fouonders of Arenanet, but with the recent design document from undead labs (that just about all the commenters on Massively trashed) which was quite frankly, almost exactly like the design document for GW2, (Which just about all the commenters at massively, including myself, love) and all the people jumping ship, If I were Arenanet, I'd be worried about people at Undead stealing all of GW2's ideas and using them for their own game.

Instead everyone's all chummy. Given this set of circumstances, as a fan of GW, and GW2, and someone that doesnt have a ps3 or maybe xbox, its looking more like GW2 will be a petri dish for untested ideas that are getting polished and directly ported over to Undead Labs.

Granted, this is a community manager, not a designer, but this is one more in a string of employees that have left for one company. It was funny when Activison gutted Infinity Ward, but this concerns me a bit more.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 11:46AM KDolo said

Persistent zombie MMO for consoles. I hope it does well. Sadly, I will never see it.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 11:49AM placebonation said

Sorry. This looks more like a really bad decision. To jump ship for a game that isn;t even showing game play footage and console only? Good luck with that. Hopefully her decision makes her happy for a long time. But this should not give a negative impact to Guild Wars 2. She wants to work for her dream. Hope she finds it there.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 12:11PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
is it me... or does she look like Gianna Michaels.... just saying...

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 12:43PM Luk said

It is you

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 3:19PM Caerus said

Seriously? From the neck up I'd say they are clones. No wonder she looked familiar.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 12:25PM tk421242 said

Guess it all depends on your point of view as to who this is more revealing about. I see some people choosing to leave a title that is looking pretty solid from what has been shown to go work for a company that as of yet is only talking. I think this reflects on Undead Labs and makes me curious as to what these people saw during the interview process that makes them see Undead Labs as having potential. Up till this point I have really not been paying much attention to Undead Labs, but they are now on my radar to watch for developments.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 12:32PM ZenJitsu said

Considering that Undead Labs already has a lot of talent working there, it doesn't sound like a bad decision at all. I'm a PC gamer, so I'm also disappointed that they're only producing it for the console. However, If they can live up to their developer blogs, it'll be a game I'll be trying out. Before passing Internet Judgment, have people even read what their plans are? It reads like a wish list for current MMOs.

Good luck, Emily! Stay awesome!

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 12:55PM arathil said

I swear, first good post I've read for this title yet. Everyone is so quick to jump on the hate bandwagon because the word "console" pops up.

I'm really interested and hopeful for this MMO and good talent heading their way is a good sign. Here's to remaining positive!

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 1:02PM bylthe said

A zombie MMO on consoles? Former Areanet employees making the game? NcSoft has nothing to do with it? Don't kid yourself, this game will be GREAT!

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 12:47PM Luk said

New community manager for a game that is not even in alpha?
Nothing to say, except, why is it even in the news?

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 1:13PM Saker said

Agree. But then I've never understood the weird cult thing around people in any industry let alone this one. The cult of the "devs" is a big thing it seems to some people, and the other related cults. Whatever.....

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 1:46PM paterah said

Maybe because she was the content and community manager for GW too?! Plus she has contributed treasures to the wiki.
She was ANet's community manager as a whole not only GW2.
People bail from a sinking ship, it's human nature.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 2:03PM Brinstar said

Just a small point of clarification, but there are three full-time community managers for ArenaNet, and Emily took on more responsibilities to help out the team. So her main role was as a manager for website content, with community responsibilities added on to help out the three-person community team.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 1:00PM Germaximus said

That girl is super pretty!

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 1:07PM Dumac said

Well good for her, congrats. I hope this doesn't say anything about GW2 though. I think i can understand how co-founders of ArenaNet (two of whom left) who have lots of influence would like to use it to pursue their interests rather than sticking with one franchise for too long, but what about all the others who left ANet, why would they leave a supposedly great game in development for something that's pretty much unknown. I hope im worrying for no reason.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 1:19PM Martin Kerstein said

Everybody who knows Emily personal (and I have known her for 4 years now) knows that the lure of the Walking Dead is strong for her. Working on a zombie game is a dream come true. (pretty sure she will say something herself later),

So while we are sad that she is leaving us, we wish her all the brains she can get in her new job.

And no, there is no hidden conspiracy.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 1:27PM Mikx said

When the last four employees left for Undead, Arenanet said they all loved zombies too ;)

The Daily Grind: Do you suck at MMOs?

Posted on Jul 25th 2014 8:00AM