Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:53PM GumbyJD said

• 1 heart
Yeah, this didn't work with City of Heroes' Mission Architect and it won't work here. The hardcore farmers and powerlevelers *will* find loopholes and exploits to get far more reward than intended. And once the shiny wears off of it after a few months, they will be the only ones using it on anything resembling a regular basis since regular players will have difficulty finding any actual content (as opposed to farming/powerleveling missions) and won't want to deal with the toxic only-the-rewards-matter atmosphere.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 4:44PM darrenkitlor said

@GumbyJD clearly hasn't tested the Foundry. He/she is making an argument without consulting of Cryptic's tools and reward paradigm.

The executive producer of STO, Daniel Stahl, discussed UGC as having diminished returns per day using UGC to prevent farming - and enemy mobs don't reward much per death - ~1-2 skill points compared to the 100-300 you get for mission completion. This is notably different in structure from CoH/V where individual enemies grant more XP.

Paragon Studios (not Cryptic) developed user-generated content for CoH/V (the rights were with Paragon nearly a year before the Architect came out). On that alone, there should be some differences - in addition to those being tested right now.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 4:10PM (Unverified) said

so, does no one notice that a ton of things they are adding are designed to end the actual real work they have to put into the game now, and open them up to work on frivolous stuff?

Replay old content, have users make the episodes for them... sweet, now they can concentrate on making ships uniforms and some alien characters for sale... oh boy. How about allowing people to make that junk for free with the tools and make the game 100% better with NEW ideas and game play.

At least they will finally fix the god awful animations (if it passes development) that people were begging for them to address in day one of closed beta.

Here is looking for season 4... some of those things look promising, if they can deliver.

Glad to see this game getting attention, as I had high hopes for it... but my goodness, they really shot themselves in the foot sticking to their original end game plan when people were shouting to change course. Let's hope they can turn it around finally.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 4:43PM arodriguezc said

I just wanted to point out that the collector's edition in amazon is going for 9.99.

I just picked one up for myself since I have been hearing good comments about this game and if it sucks I can just cancel my subscription.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 5:44PM JonBuck said

Missing from this is the absolutely massive update to the look of Sector Space and how it works. It's up on their test server right now and the response has been almost universally positive.

Daniel Stahl taking charge was one of the best things to happen to STO.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 5:56PM pcgneurotic said

Let's not forget the FPS-style ground combat coming down the intergalactic pike at us too!

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 6:47PM Drexel said

The Foundry, Mission Replay and Sector Space revamp are tops on the PLAYER'S list of what they want for this game. A lot of people are talking about what will and what won't work in THEIR OPINION but those of us who actually PLAY sto have been asking for these features and we are thrilled to see them coming.

Not everyone is the typical A.D.D. modern day MMO player...when the "shiny" wears off we are still there. In STO you have hardcore trek fans who have been writing EU novels and fan fiction for decades...now we can realize this stuff in an MMO about the universe we so enjoy. If realizing this happens alongside improved visuals, improved gameplay and extra tech/features then that's just a bonus.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 7:03PM JonBuck said

Absolutely! I can't wait for the new Sector Space to go live. There are over 250 replies on the feedback thread in the Test Forums.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 7:03PM JonBuck said

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 8:30PM (Unverified) said

I love how people seem to think star trek online isn't about the shiny...then the game makers pump out shiny new sector space and shiny new ships and shiny new costumes...

lol that is funny in and of itself.

So you like the game, cool, but let's call a spade a spade.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 9:32PM Drexel said

Oh don't misunderstand me now...I love the shiny as much as the next guy. The point I'm talking about though is when the shiny wears off, some of us are still there enjoying "what lies beneath" the shiny (see what I did there STO players? :P ).

In the context of my last comment I meant "shiny" more in terms of when the game was the "latest and greatest" then the negative ninny bloggers start (Yeah I'm looking at you K and G!) and the rest of the intertoobz hops on the hate bandwagon.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 3:23PM Pojoh said

Shiny?? Where .. I needs shiny. MMO's are all about the Shiny. Everyone wants more of everything. The only MMO that doesn't have a shiny is Fallen Earth.. because all the shiny parts are covered in rust'n dirt.

STO is and always will be shiny... the New Star Trek movie is so shiny, I need shades to see it.

Now, time to rub my ferengi's ears and make them shiny, 'cause goin into battle without shiny lobes is inconceivable.

Posted: Dec 8th 2010 8:10PM notverified420 said

I have to say I'm not at all impressed with season 3. The Foundry has been pushed back and it will be 'months' before it sees the live server. The updated crafting has now also been pushed back from release day. There's the eye candy of sector space, a few Klingon missions, and revamped STFs (which ppl will be bored of in a week). There is also mission replay, but the missions don't scale to your level. Out of the 3 seasons now released, this one seems the most content light. An interesting start for the new E.P.'s first major content release.