Posted: Nov 16th 2010 6:29PM Mykell said

I used to be a hardcore crafter. Was a full time Sage on my EQ2 server and one of the first lvl50 leatherworkers on my Vanguard server. I loved VG's mini-game system but hated the grind. Made lots of friends in the crafting chat channels but only a handful of us ever made it to 50. Plenty of customers turned into friends when we got chatting over prices and i would end up making them gear for cost.

I really enjoyed the creating part of crafting (i discovered a certain combination that produced a couple of items no-one else on the server could which was quite cool) as well as talking to customers and outfitting them and having them recommend me to friends. I hate the grind thou. I'm looking forward to TOR's system as i am hoping it retains what i like while getting rid of what i hate about previous systems.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 6:37PM (Unverified) said

You cannot auto gather items you havent already discovered. So to mass gather herbs on Planet X you have to first discover them, then you can send out your companions to get them.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 6:51PM (Unverified) said

In all honesty I never like "Hyperspace Beacon" articles because they are hardly ever well informed. Worse, the speculation is often passed of as fact.

Of course those who spend less time craft will craft, inferior or lower level products. In the same logic two crafters who spend the devout the same time to crafting either casual or hardcoreIf will craft at an equivalent level. Appealing to "casual" crafters makes little sense in this regard as casual crafters will still have to compete with hardcore crafters. Time in should be proportional to reward for the most part. (Just there should be systems in to cause diminishing returns to keep a sensible distribution between the 24 hrs a day player and the 2 hrs a week player.) I can also see some kind of mobile device app, to allow casual players to refresh skill queues on there own time.

A person who wants to spend the majority of their play time crafting then the player can still see the benefit of their time spent by picking up multiple gathering skills. Gathering will be more traditional where the PC can run around looking for resource nodes. More resources more things you can craft to an extent. Also according to recent, Daniel Erickson, interviews crafting will also involve active player quests. He also articulated about a very in depth system where dedicated crafters can earn server wide fame.

And this is speculation, but its likely that the time spent on the crafting progress bar is far less than that spent on the mission progress bar. Again, Daniel Erickson has said that mission skills were designed for those who did not want to invest a lot in the crafting system. Mission skills seem more passive "set it and forget it" game play than gathering and crafting.

All in all I am very happy with the system.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 7:23PM (Unverified) said

I think that the crafting not being a "minigame" is a big concern. Crafting might be tideous to some, but rewarding for those who were willing to do it. Thats how it is. You took time out from leveling to craft some item which made you do more dps and thus making you level faster. It was either leveling or crafting, not both at the same time. If it will take several days to craft a lightsaber then you might loot something better during the wait, or have gained enough levels to make it a gimp wep. Then whats the point of crafting other than to sell it?

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 8:29PM (Unverified) said

"That leads me to the next point. Everything is on timers. Crafting in a lot of games is all but instantaneous. "

You've never tried crafting in EVE have you? ;)

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 8:51PM (Unverified) said

I don't mean to be rude, but I've done a LOT of looking into this crafting system and understanding it and many points you make are not valid at all:

1) The crafting is not "for casual people." An interview with the lead systems designer said that the devoted crafter will be able to make a name for themselves on their server by having items and such that only a couple people on the server will have. It is by NO MEANS a casual system. It is simple so that people can understand it, but rewarding for those who dive into it.

2) You are the person crafting the items. What I mean by that is you still are the one selecting what you want to craft, when you want to craft it, and who you want to craft it. You are in total control. The ONLY thing that you are not doing is standing there for 10 seconds and doing the animation which is the least fun part of the crafting. That is all that has changed, personally I think it's amazing.

3) Casual people will be able to stand out against other casual crafters. There are so many combinations of things to specialize in. You can choose any amount of the four gathering skills, one of the six crafting skills, and any of the four mission skills. (Only three of anything can be trained at a time) Not to mention that if you're casual, you really shouldn't be as rewarded or renown as someone who is devoted. You can still use the crafting means for yourself and to maybe make a slight profit, for casuals.

That's just my two cents! Thanks for reading :)

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 6:13AM Spiglord said

I have to say that having someone that obviously isn't into crafting, regurgitate not only the Bioware 'company' line on crafting but also other 'SW:TOR bloggers' (mis)interpretations of recent announcements, seems a bit like filling space.

Come on Massively, I thought you were better than that....?