Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:31PM (Unverified) said

I'm hoping this crafting system will take a lot of the tedium out of crafting. That was one of the main reasons I quit Aion, I could literally spend hours each day crafting and that was only to keep up with my level, and those hours were spent tediously clicking those crafting materials together and running back and forth between tables...not fun, Wow and Warhammer are only slightly better.

Being able to say "minion, go do my menial work" is a great addition to any game. You still have the time component and have to wait for your crafted goods, but none of the boring clicking games and running around spamming city chat when you need that last sprocket.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:33PM Scopique said

"But in an economy where everyone has the ability to craft, I believe only the best of best items will sell"

Is there a quality attribute invovled?

If everyone is special, no one is. I think that allowing EVERYONE to craft (or to create) negates the need for a finished market entirely. That's assuming, of course, that "crafting" means you and your gang can make everything from A-Z, and won't be limited by Sally Henchman being only able to craft blasters, and Chuck Henchman only being able to craft footwear. If your bots are specialized, then you'll end up having to buy most items from the market, but mainly I'd think the best sellers will be the raw mats that you NEED, but that your minions somehow refuse to fetch for you.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:36PM Matix said

Q: Well, I'm done talking. Let's hear what you have to say. What do you like about the crafting system? What do you dislike about it?

A: I don't like that it's necessarily based on companions rather than your own skill (I hope there are lightside and darkside companion characters for each skill, or folks will get pigeon-holed really quickly). I do like the fact that it's timer based, putting a stop-gap on Auction House Baron techniques that have ruined WOW server economies over the years.

Finally, I both hate and love the idea of a chance for players to simply decide to side-step the auction house scene and just make their own gear.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:40PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
You really hit the nail on the coffin for me.
This isn't like other crafting systems, people are happy because they're taking away the "grind" but that's part of the fun of crafting. Gathering materials and putting it together, instantaneously. Sending my crew mates to gather material and then telling to start working on something doesn't sound fun to me at all.

You're right though the game isn't out and so I don't know all the facts, or how it plays in to gameplay.

But as they say, why fix what isn't broken?

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:54PM luckyspades said

"But as they say, why fix what isn't broken?"

because then you have the WoW-in-space kids taking over

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 11:07PM Duffy said

Just to offer a counter: I disagree, it annoys me when I have to stop "playing" a game to wander around collecting materials so I can click a button to watch progress bars over and over again.

I'm not saying their specific implementation is going to work well, but given the currently used systems and their focus on story and immersion I can easily see how they came to this idea. I'll reserve judgment on it until I actually get to try it.

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 7:22AM Jolie said

Actually if you visit the TOR website it explains that you CAN collect and gather materials yourself it's not just your companions that has the ability to do this.

Posted: Nov 18th 2010 2:39PM (Unverified) said

Reminds me, as mentioned in the interview itself, of the harvesters and factories used in Star Wars Galaxies. Crafting was based more on player skill than character skills, due to the various effects different "quality" levels would have on the end product. Character skill only controlled what items you knew how to make.

You could produce items by hand, and you could "farm" resources by hand, however the most efficient way to make items was to produce, instead of the actual item, a schematic instead, and slap that along with the needed resources into a factory. Instead of spending hours of your own time gathering resources by hand, you'd go out and survey areas, then when you found the one you wanted, slap down a harvester, pop in some power, and then check it about once a day.
Yes, you might spend hours surveying for the specific resources before putting down the harvester, but you'd get after running the harvester about 10x as much resources as if you'd sat there by hand gathering. Plus gathering radioactive materials was rather painful.

All that being said.. not having actually experienced (for obvious reasons) this crafting system in ToR, I can't say that this will be the exact same, but I personally think it sounds promising, as it will let me "craft" items in game, without making my game a *job* by forcing me to invest nearly as many hours in the game as I do at my *real* job just to be able to have a few shiny virtual items.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:46PM WriterGuy said

In this game crafters are changed to become middle manageement. New and different? Yes. Better? Haven't decided.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:50PM starchildren3317 said

I enjoy playing the 'auction house' with crafted items that I make in game. And as much as I love crafting in MMOs, I am actually looking forward to having the boring things taken out - such as hitting the combine button over and over, and roaming zones endlessly looking for harvesting nodes and hoping that others are not doing the same.

Perhaps even though everyone will be crafting - not everyone will easily obtain every crafting recipe. Perhaps the better recipes are rare drops. In that regards, it could help balance out the fact that the things I make wont be worth a darn on the AH because everyone can craft it....

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:50PM LizardSF said

Sounds to me like they may be trying to short-circuit gold sellers by having there be nothing to spend gold (credits, magic beans, whatever) ON. This was a goal behind the non-crafting in Warhammer; the game designer later admitted it was an error, because while gold sellers are bad, the lack of an in-game economy and the community it fosters is even worse.

I've found the criticisms of TOR as a "Massively single player online game" to be overblown, usually coming from grognards who think that if you don't have the time to commit 8+ hours a day to a game to find and adventure with a full group, you should just go back to Farmville (and before anyone says "Get off my lawn", my first "MMO" was Isle of Kesmai. YOU get off MY lawn, be0tch!). However, with this particular revelation (and admitting I'm going on partial data only), they may have a point.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:55PM Seare said

I believe I read that your character can only craft in 1 area of specialization. So if you choose armor, you can craft armor but not weapons. If you want to craft other things, you will have to create more than one character, which I think falls in line with Bioware wanting you to play through more than 1 character.

Personally I love this system. For those of you who live grind based crafting, cough...SantaDuJuan...cough...I think your nuts. Anyone who enjoys boring grinding of any kind is nuts IMHO. This game is trying to take away the grind and put in the fun and I love that.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 4:22PM Leumas said

Confirming this per the SWTOR forum:

Every player gets three crew skill slots. Only one of those can be a crafting skill (but doesn't have to be), and that crafting skill is in one specialized area (armor type, weapon sub-group, etc.).

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:59PM (Unverified) said

Luckyspades, do you really think WoW players aren't going to play this? This game was developed with them in mind. It would be stupid if it wasn't.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 4:11PM luckyspades said

No kidding, I'm just stating imo why the crafting is different, even though you may think it's not broken. I'm sure it will be close enough that the WoW players can handle it without it being "get mats, click create"-simple.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 4:15PM luckyspades said

I should also clarify that I meant take over the comment section, not SW:TOR.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 4:04PM (Unverified) said

Seare, you enjoy grinds. You enjoy grinding levels from 1 to the level cap.
My point was, this isn't really a grind at all, which is the problem. No I'm not saying I enjoyed traveling around in any MMO looking for resources, I'm saying I enjoyed the finished product and the feeling of satisfaction I got from it. Where as I truly felt that I made something. Sending your crew mates to gather materials and then sending them to make stuff takes the fun out of crafting in my opinion.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 5:40PM Ingrod said

"Sending your crew mates to gather materials and then sending them to make stuff takes the fun out of crafting in my opinion".

Not at all. Whats is the difference about give the order to a crafting station to craft something a see the bar progress and give the order to some NPC companions to craft something a see their bars progress? For me, none.

In SWG you have automated factories and mining stations, and droids to extract samples, animal resources from death mobs, and find BH targets.

In EVE you have automated factories where crafting items can take many hours to complete. Also have automated mining station in moons.

In Fallen Earth craft a car need many hours and many subcomponents.

And nobody have a doubt about that these thing are real crafting.

They only remove the boring grind of the formula, but leaving all the fun. Manage resources, search the bazar, cooperate with other players (you only have three Crew Skill slots for you whole crew and only one of then can be a Crafting skill), etc.

Leaving the boring part of crafting to some automated game system how are the companions allow the possibility of add more complexity to craft. They can add more resources, components and subcomponents to every recipe, making the crafting of anything a elaborated and complex process for hardcore crafters. In MMOs with grind based craft that can be a nightmare for the players, but here we have companions to do these things.

Also the gathering missions have a price (same that factories in SWG or EVE), you need to pay your companions, how many different companions missions will be required for complete a high end item recipe? That will be a important game money drain, and boost the in-game economy.

In the other hand Invest in find rare loots and resources to sell can be a good income font to non-crafter players, and with this system they dont need farming to find these resources or treasures.

Posted: Nov 17th 2010 2:50AM Regault said

I don't know how you can say the system is entirely unique when it sounds functionally identical to the crafting done in Grand Fantasia and Kitsu Saga. In those games, your character has three sprites they can either summon for combat buffs or send out on crafting missions.

Anyway, the main reason for auction house problems in WoW are as follows: Recipes have a 100% success rate, players can acquire almost all recipes for their profession, higher level recipes require the player to sacrifice materials to craft vendor trash in order to skill up, there's not much gating on recipe crafting. All of these factors combine to make materials much more valuable than the finished product.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 5:54PM Verus said

+ no grind necessary
+ donĀ“t have to be online to craft and gather (so much wasted time in other mmo fighting over ore and shrooms etc)
+ recipes that rival the best gear (most mmo have crap crafted gear)
+ random rare recipe drops (in wow these days and many other mmo all players basically have the same recipes)
+ able to gather using companions while you do fun stuff

- not as involved perhaps ?

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM