Posted: Nov 15th 2010 1:29PM (Unverified) said

"That's for every single power you have, and best of all, it stacks with enhancements without that pesky little "enhancement diversification" bugbear rearing its head. A good portion of the buffs will stick around with no regard for how many other enhancements you've stacked in that category."

Wrong. Just...wrong. For a common boost, only 1/6 of the boost is unaffected by ED. That's 5.5%. For an uncommon boost, only 1/3 of the boost is unaffected by ED. That's 11% for the primary attribute, 6.667% for the secondary. These are not "a good portion", just "a small portion". You will not be able to reach the proposed perma-Hasten off the Alpha slot alone. Ever. You will need to get quite a few +Recharge bonuses from IO sets.

Rare and Ultra Rare boosts (for which 1/2 and 2/3 ignore ED, respectively) will not be in Issue 19 and even when they do get added, I would hazard a guess that only a minority of players will take the time to grind those out.

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 2:20PM CitizenH said

Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but:

"This isn't a fault of design. There's plenty of warning that Battle Maiden is dropping her ability. This is a fault of people not paying attention."

I disagree.

Every run I've taken of the TF so far, most people have died to this attack not because they weren't paying attention, but because they *couldn't move*.

Every attack in CoH roots you in place. Every one. Further, every attack causes suppression of your travel powers for some time afterward, some more than others. In the past, the devs did every thing they could to discourage run-and-gun fighting, mostly for PvP reasons.

They beat that style of play out of players, and now naturally players are used to grouping the enemies up and defeating them where they stand.

I don't think it's fair to change the rules 180 degrees at this point if those existing restrictions are going to remain. There's nothing fun about dieing because you're locked into a long power animation.

I don't care for the encounter at all. First for the above reason and second, despite being completable by all-melee teams, the encounter is very biased against melee characters.

If you're ranged and see there's an attack incoming, you merely have to step aside and continue attacking. If you're a melee character, you have to flee the area and wait until your target steps out of the death ray, or wait for it to dissipate before you can attack again. This is more work and you deal less damage. I spent most of this TF taunting, hoping the AI would decide to follow me to a place I could attack it, only to have the place I was standing get nuked as soon as they did. I didn't find that very fun at all. Unable to attack and tanking an enemy that didn't really deal that much direct damage in the first place, I felt very useless.

Third, I found the encounter very griefable by teammates, which could happen both intentionally and unintentionally. Someone standing by the door to the mission area, even for a split second, can cause the next person entering to die instantly with little chance to react. Twice I was killed from an unseen teammate innocently hovering above me by getting nuked with the attack aimed at them that went off over my head and not even on my screen. Even having a teammate run or jump past is equally destructive.

Lastly, the devs say this and future encounters are designed to require communication and coordination. That is quite difficult in a game where the primary means of communication is typing and the encounter requires you to keep moving and constantly pay attention to the action.

If voice chat like Teamspeak or Ventrillo are now going to be required, as well as twitch gaming skills in a game that has always been more thoughtful and laid back, well I think they may find some resistance to that.

YMMV

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 4:42PM starka1 said

Sounds very much like 'tells' from Champions Online. Unlike CO, as Citizen H mentioned, you can't always move when you want to in CoH. Oh, and players in CO can get Orbital Cannon as a power which is fun despite the game's other flaws.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 3:19PM starka1 said

Lol, someone didn't like their favorite game compared to a feature in CO. Yeah, too bad. It is a similar system from a game that has already had the feature since its release. Doesn't mean its a bad thing...unless you are an unreasonable fanboy.

Posted: Nov 24th 2010 6:15PM starka1 said

Haha, omg. I must of really pissed someone off. Maybe someone who no longer posts in DCUO threads...thankfully.

Posted: Nov 24th 2010 6:18PM starka1 said

Haha, omg. I must have really pissed someone off to garner another greyed out. Someone that maybe doesn't post in DCUO articles anymore?

Tells were introduced in CO and now CoH is starting to use them. Hooray for competition.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 12:28AM Torch Light said

I am so glad to see more boss fights with mechanics besides "Hit it till it dies" I know other TF's vary what you have to hit at what time, but this was something I never really felt City had. this strategy you really have to take to. Now if we start to see something with like, Different times they only take certain damage, or some confusing thing, the hectic ness could be even better.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 5:08AM bAss ackwards said

Been running these new Taskforces since closed beta and holy crap are they fun! If this is the kind of direction that they are bringing forward with future encounters, then I for one can't wait!

Thus far I have only died from the patches-of-doom only once, and that was my first go at the Apex TF. If you're alert, you'll never die from them in the Battle Maiden fight. I know how much time I have left to punch her in the face when the warning shows up, so at most I will use my quicker hitting attacks and then just get out of there.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 9:01PM CitizenH said

"Also, there is no telling if there may or may not be levels added onto the incarnate slot system, such as a level beyond "ultra rare".

Such a boost could ignore diminishing returns entirely and possibly boost more stats as well."

The beauty of the Incarnate system is it can grow upwards, inwards and outwards.

Just looking at the Alpha slot, they can easily add more basic kinds of boosts beyond Cardiac, Nerve, Spiritual and Musculature. Within each boost, the possibility exists to grow the tree up another level as you said, or even split off more branches at any of the existing levels.

That's just the Alpha. The other slots carry the same nigh-limitless potential, and they can always add more slots at any given time.

It really is a brilliant system. I just hope they remain committed to it (and the game remains viable long enough for that).