Posted: Nov 16th 2010 1:41AM Darkstryke said

Again, I don't hate the game or the fact that so much of eve has been replicated or drawn from. In fact because I've played EvE for 5 years and enjoy it so much, it's the only reason I would give Perpetuum a shot.

What I do have a problem with tho is "creative design".. when there is nothing creative about it. Copy and refine all you want, that's really how the truly good MMO's have been created, just cite your original sources.

I think if they just dropped the routine and came out with "Yeah, we're really stoked on what EvE brought to the market, and it had a huge influence on how our vision of a sandbox mech MMO should be done", there would be huge kudo's for the amount of work that 10 people have managed to churn out.

I hope to see this succeed, because these types of MMO's with emergent gameplay are so much more satisfying then killing the same AI scripted raid boss for the 50th time every 4 days. There will be no better villain then another human being.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 8:59AM lizardbones said

I'm giving PO a shot to see how well it works with a solo player. I can work with groups and guilds and such, but when I'm playing games, I like to focus my limited time on me (me, me, me, me). The game is very new, so I expect I'll have content enough to last through the pre-order + first month, but after that we'll have to see.

Overall, it's a well done game, much better in beta (and I expect at launch) than most games, we'll just have to see if I like the user generated content, and if it's possible for me as a solo player to generate some of my own content.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 9:35AM rgolch said

Still don't get why the similar game mechanics to EvE turns so many of you off. Truth be told, there are more WoW clones than you can throw a cat at, and so many console games, like racing games, FPS, and others are complete rip offs. Doesn't mean they can't be fun.

What's more, once you play Perpetuum for more than a day, it really feels nothing like EvE. Unless your obsessed with game mechanics, and are incapable of experiencing game immersion. But whatever, to each their own ^o^.

For the record, I have no intention of canceling my two active accounts in EvE, and I still regard EvE as my main game. But I just like the idea of running around in some bad-ass mechs now and again.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 9:34AM Avernus said

Never played EVE? BS. But i played in closed and open beta and it was well done. Very few bugs for a beta. The combat felt slow to me, but I like FPS MMOs. It was a refreshing change from EVE to have WASD and to have terrain that mattered. I'll probably sub when I get some free time.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 9:57AM phatbhuda said

This game feels like EvE. A friend of mine put it very well, saying that "it feels like you're playing a spreadsheet".

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 10:30AM real65rcncom said

Fair question Llokki...

I had tried Eve years ago and if you played that back then, remember Eve didn't really have any manual or good tutorials. The player starting was kind of thrust into the universe with little explanation on anything. It was sink or swim and I sank, lol. After a week, I gave up because I didn't feel like researching everything to find basics.

The feel of Eve also wasn't to my liking. I fully understand that it was a "space sim" and in space, it's dark and foreboding.

I'm not complaining about that, just felt that I didn't want to play a game where 95% time my screen made me feel like it was midnight. In Perpettum, because the game happens on one planet, there are regular day/night intervals which "feel" better to my mental psyche, not as depressing.

I'm not knocking Eve for space because that totally makes sense, but it just didnt sit well with me personally.

This game won't be a blockbuster or a "Eve killer" by any stretch. I doubt it gets even 1/4 of the population that Eve has.

Mainly because people wanting to be a mech want to be.... a mech; not a guy controlling a guy who's controlling a robot which Perpetuum is.

People I've seen in gamechat said "Where's the mech?? This isn't mechs!" Didn't bother me but the fanbois went nutso on them, but I can see what their beef was. You feel like you were not doing real mech fighting, just controlling drones.

I give it a personal rating of about a 7 or so based on right now. It has potential to grow and as long as they keep the elitist jerks out, the community can be very nice indeed in the long run.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014