Posted: Nov 15th 2010 7:07PM Darkstryke said

The game doesn't only look like EvE, almost every part of it is as near a carbon copy as you can get to EvE. The UI, to the character creator, the gameplay, the ship.. er mech fitting layout, down to the dam scramble mechanics to stop warpin... er running away.

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 8:15PM swarmofcats said

Yeah I loled, too.

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 8:16PM Hummuluis said

Agreed. It's almost completely obvious that they took a huge amount of ideas and design elements and implemented them into the game. They must be trying to target some of the EVE audience, by making a very similar UI. It's one thing to simply use ideas already done, however act like you came up with them without any outside help is flat out wrong. They should just admit they have taken much inspiration from EVE and have been inspired by their elements.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 1:02AM Sean D said

"Now I really don't care if they copied it or not, but trying to spin it off as 'Oh we didn't even know about eve' when every single component looks and acts like it's eve counterpart is laughable."

I was thinking the same thing.

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 7:05PM Solp said

Now THIS is what I like to read about! Truly inspiring, I'll be giving this one a shot.

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 7:15PM darrenkitlor said

• 1 heart
EVE ripped off several known OS GUIs before its creation - I wouldn't go as far as to say this is ripping off EVE as it is various Linux Distros.

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 7:21PM redsolar said

They clearly avoided the point of the question that they cloned the EVE UI. No matter how they improvise it, it obviously looks like an EVE UI. It goes against this quote...

"We're a very eager bunch of guys who just wanted to create something on their own."

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 7:32PM Psychotic Storm said

EVE UI is so archaic and basic, I can hardly imagine anyone wanting to copy it.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 7:07AM halfcaptain said

lol, how is the eve ui basic?

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 7:42PM lizardbones said

Never played Eve, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn once. :-) I also develop business applications. There's only so many ways to do a particular thing. If you design a way to do something, and notice it looks like the way somebody else did it, you don't change it. If you notice somebody else did it better, you copy it. Yes, you could make it different just to make it different, but that doesn't really make sense, if what you want is a good end product.

To be honest, most of the interface makes perfect sense. Mentioned above was the robot equip screen...I wouldn't have done it any different. If that's how Eve did it, then that's how it should be done. The mining and harvesting interfaces though...ugh...that is some confusing stuff. If they did copy from Eve on that, they shouldn't have.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 7:06AM halfcaptain said

"It would be different if they copied Eve's code, but if the interface in PO is the interface in Eve, then neither one of them is very original. They are just windows that display information about as simple as you can make them."

I don't understand why these 'windows that display information' are such a bad thing. EVE's gui is unconventional for an mmo, but it's definitely not simple. In fact, a game that gives you an abundance of real information about your environment and has you make informed decisions with that information is
(imho) better than a game that presents you with little or no information and has you make a knee-jerk move. I.e. "you've been attacked! [click counter-attack]"

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 8:54PM real65rcncom said

Tried out the beta and found it not bad.

I didn't like the mining part and missions seemed to be broken. You get a mission that tells you to go to some spot and look for ore. You go there, follow directions and nothing.

After you try for 45 mins, you say in chat what's up with this? Devs respond with "Oh, that's a known issue". Eh? Well, when were you going to make it known to me so I didnt spend almost an hour because i thought i was doing it wrong???

Aside from that, I liked what I saw. To think they never played Eve.. wow. Idk if I believe that or not. I played Eve for one week and hated it and even I know this looks "really familiar".

But for $10/mo, I can keep this sub running messing around until I get bored for find something better. I like the little things I do in the game with the skills and messing around with robots is kinda neat and different from casting spells.

But I can definitely see they have to build on the game long term. No one can do this over/over daily without some goal, and not just some vague nothing PvP goal of "killing other player's bots".

Eve had the whole space exploration thing to do, so they had a bigger area to play with. Idk how big this planet is, but it'd better be huge so people don't get bored.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 1:18AM Llokki said

I'm curious how you could hate EVE but like this...?

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 10:30PM (Unverified) said

I would happily play this game if there was first person view support. Come on, MechWarrior fans. :/

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 11:51PM (Unverified) said

Been playing this for a few days now. It's incredibly stable and a lot of fun. I think this small dev team has done a great job all around. I think you will find a small but loyal community, a deep and satisfying game. Like bringing the original Eve to earth. The game has some innovative concepts for PVP and they will be bringing player built structure as the next major addition to the game.

Well worth $10 per month if not more! I'm looking forward to playing the game for long time to come.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 12:04AM rgolch said

I played the beta for about a week, and yea, it shares a lot of similarities to EvE. But so what. Didn't WoW rip off a ton of ideas from EQ? You don't hear people ripping on Blizzard for that.

Perpetuum is actually a pretty fun game, and I decided to sub to it. The UI, fonts, and icons are a notable improvement over EvE. And the time based progress is a big improvement over EvE, because you "spend" accumulated extension points, rather than just stare at a ticking clock of skillpoints in EvE. It may be semantics, because they're essentially the same thing, but it feels like a more active process in Perpetuum. Combat is also more interactive than "the other" sandbox game, mostly because of the WASD movement. Some of the Mechs (especially the humanoid ones) are surprising cool-looking, considering the size of the Dev team. And the game world is definitely unique, and cool-looking (but could use a bit more color). Overall, I think the game has a lot of potential. I'm hoping it does well enough that Avatar creations team can fully realize all of their future plans for the game.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 1:23AM Llokki said

I have to disagree with you on the point of the UI being an improvement over EVE's. My personal opinion is that Perpetuum's UI is even worse than EVE's, and you can disagree with that if you like, but it is definitely not an improvement.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 12:07AM Dirame said

....They can't hide it, its Eve on land and if 6 members of the team haven't played Eve (going by the "most of the members of the team haven't played Eve comment" what about the other 4? Are they project or UI design leads? Because they seem to have a lot of influence on what gets put into the game.

Even if I was going to rip-off Eve I would actually try to make it an original rip, but this is just poor. Sorry Perpetuum devs :(.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 1:10AM Llokki said

I went into this game with the knowledge that it was an EVE clone, but that didn't prepare me for just how strikingly similar it is. The fact that Perpetuum is on land and lacks the polish and content of EVE, are about the only differences.
Oh, and no fast travel (warp drive) as far as I could tell. After walking (and nothing but) for 5 minutes to get to the first of three waypoints, I got bored and quit.

Maybe some people will find interesting and different enough to be worth playing, but I highly doubt I'll ever be one of them. If I ever feel like that type of game, I'll just go back to EVE.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 2:28AM Sleaker said

I played the game right when it entered beta which turned out to be an overall huge dissapointment. I haven't given it another shot yet, and I may, but if the combat is still overly like EVEs and the interface hasn't changed at all then it's probably going to be another game I pass on.