Posted: Nov 15th 2010 6:34PM cray said

I really want to get into this game again...but the subscription killed it for me. I just can't afford it when I'm only playing 4 hours a week. If I could put in more playing time it would be worth the subscription.

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 9:10PM (Unverified) said

There's plenty of viable options to be found on the Open Beta Feedback: Inherent Fitness thread, from ways to slot Global IO's in to give your build a boost, to low-requirement power pool powers that can come in handy in a pinch.

Even Hasten with one Recharge SO or IO in can be useful in an emergency, or to break out the firepower for EB's/AV's.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 11:41AM Valdamar said

@TM - I doubt it will make a lot of difference. The game is pretty easy anyway and there's not much you could pick up with those extra 3 power slots that would make a huge difference in dps or survivability. The Devs probably only said that as a salve to all the players who complain that the game is already too easy and is being made even easier, but I doubt much will come of it - maybe some of the Leadership powers will get a slight nerf now that loads of people will be taking them without having to sacrifice anything for it (i.e. post-I19 loads of high level teams will probably have 4+ of each buff, where that was rare before), but I can't see much else changing - it would just have too many knock-on effects.

I really don't think 3 extra power slots is going to make anyone massively more powerful either - just a bit more flexible. Adding extra enhancement slots would make characters far more powerful though (especially if you just ignored the 3 new powers and stuck the enh slots in other powers), which is why I think the Devs have shied away from adding extra enhance slots to go with the 3 extra power slots.

The main difference it will make for me is being able to have Combat Jumping (CJ) + Hurdle on every character, whether they took Super Jump (SJ) as their travel power or not. I really miss not having CJ when I'm in combat on my characters with Fly/Teleport (I usually take Hasten anyway, so getting CJ+Superspeed costs me no more choices than taking CJ+SJ). That makes me not take Fly/TP on new characters and makes me not want to play older characters with Fly/TP, because lacking CJ+Hurdle means in-combat manoeuvrability is far lower (far easier to line up cones quickly when you have CJ+Hurdle) and I feel slow and decidedly not super without CJ+Hurdle.

Also I have one character without travel powers at all who will be able to have one now.

When I look at my eighteen L50 builds most of the extra powers I'd take are limited situational use and few would require any enhancement slots, e.g. Hibernation/Mutation/GroupInvis on my Illu/Rad Controller, Assault/Tactics/Salt Crystals on my Earth/Fire Dom, Assault & Conserve Power & Power Boost on my Archery/Energy Blaster, Physical Perfection & Weave & Resurgence on my Claw/WP Scrapper. Lots of my characters can take Assault/Maneuver/Tactics if there are no better choices (if they have enough end to run them). My EM/Nin Stalker can grab Smoke Flash and my Fire/Rad Corruptor can grab Fallout - powers I'd never normally take.

Resurrects and Self-Resurrects especially seem very situational when my friend and I don't die much in duos and combining any 3 insps into a wakey is so easy, but now we can grab them for when we join Task Forces and Raids. I might even take some of the temporary pet powers from patron pools on some characters - I've always skipped them because they can't be up permanently (without tons of global recharge) and never seemed that good without adding slots, which seemed like a waste of slots to me on a pet I'd forget to use most of the time. Now I could grab those pets just for novelty value (out of 18 L50s, 14 of them villains, only my Crab Spider build took the patron pet previously - the Arachnobot Blaster from Black Scorpion - just purely because it matched the 2 Arachnobot Disruptors and 3 Arachnobot Spiderlings he got from his own powersets).

Perhaps the biggest difference to me will be my lowbie Invulnerable Brute finally having room to fit in his passive resist powers, my L20 Shield Tanker being able to have more attacks at low level, plus my Crab Spider and Fortunata and Mace/SR Brute finally having space for Aid Self. Needing Fitness also made my two L50 Stalkers' builds horribly tight when they were low level and put me off playing another Stalker, but now that's not a problem.

In fact making Fitness an inherent is going to have a much bigger impact on characters I make from now onwards than my existing characters - I used to delay my travel power until L30 and get by on temporary travel powers, simply because shoving 2 travel pool powers into the first 20 levels along with 3 Fitness powers made the teen levels very boring, with very few primary/secondary attacks/buffs/debuffs/controls in there - but now that won't be an issue.

Posted: Nov 23rd 2010 10:56AM Avernus said

The fitness change will help me get some more epic power pools and quality of life stuff, like a second travel power. Wont be game changing but I'll enjoy it. It will make leveling better early.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014