Posted: Nov 14th 2010 12:14PM Cepaqua said

In the end, it doesn't really matter what kind of experience you have in DAoC in its current form, 10 years after release. If you weren't there for the first 6 months, and especially the first 3 months from Oct 2001-Jan 2002, you truly missed the most epic battles in MMOG history. The race to level 50 was intense. Players started venturing into the frontiers in their 40s and experiencing gaming bliss. I was part of the very first world wide, server wide keep raid on Merlin. I was up for over 60 hours! I can't begin to put into words how much adrenaline was pumping through my heart. 3 faction battles with hundreds of players on my screen in full 3D was beyond my wildest expectations. It was, without a shadow of doubt, the greatest launch and most intense gaming experience of all time. And yes, I was in UO since day one, and EQ beta and launch. DAoC blew them both away.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 12:28PM Beau Hindman said

I appreciate what your saying, but what does an activity that I missed have to do with the activities that I didn't miss?

Beau

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 12:16PM Shadanwolf said

• 1 heart
DAOC exists because players want to experience the best RVR there is...period.Having a DAOC story that relates experiences that do not include the reason the game still exists is.....( I will not say it ). On the subject of UI's ...its BOB"S UI. If you ask any player that's what many will say.It works like a charm.BTW Mr story writer....rvr can be experienced at level 1...so there's no excuse for not experiencing it no matter how brief your in game time really was.

Am I a "fanboy" of DAOC.Nope.The game has serious endemic flaws which have all but killed the game.But it has attributes no other games devs have been smart enough to copy.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 12:22PM Beau Hindman said

Strange, you make it seem as though I didn't have fun! lol I distinctly remembering having fun!

Beau

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 12:36PM AlamoeJones said

If you're not playing the way hardcore DAoC players tell you to play, then it's scientifically impossible that you could ever have fun in that game, Beau! Get it through your noggin!!

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 1:07PM Pingles said

DAoC was my first MMO and I played for several years, ending up with two accounts. I played from day one until Trials of Atlantis.

PvE was a great deal of fun. I enjoyed it enough to roll on their Carebear server, Gaheris.

Beau is right: It's just FUN to play.

But what made (makes) DAoC so spectacular in my eyes was the RvR. For several reasons:

- Opt in: Don't want to PvP? Don't go to the Frontier zones.
- Realm Changing results: If your Realm does well in the Frontiers then content opens up for you. Your Realm doesn't? Well, go help them! By the way, when you DO switch over to open that content be aware that the enemies who were in there when it switched are still in there. Enjoy your hunting!
- Sieges and Raids: Nothing like hundreds of players sieging a Keep with hundreds of players defending. Sure, it got to be a slideshow...but a FUN slideshow!
- PvE with a little danger: Want extra good loot? Go hunt mobs in the Frontier zones. So great to be hunting and see something in the corner of your eye and realize you're being stalked by an enemy player. THRILLING!

I joined Warhammer Online because I thought it would be a technology update to DAoC. It wasn't. I still haven't figure out why they didn't just copy/paste their PvP model.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 5:28PM Jesspiper said

Clearly because Mark Jacobs wanted a slice of the WoW success pie. Oh did it ever backfire.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 1:20PM Beau Hindman said

I did get into some RvR late last night, but of course I died FAST! http://yfrog.com/08oq0tj and http://yfrog.com/76dv8fyj (You can see the player who was helping me figure out how to get into it. Everyone has been really cool so far.)

I would have put it in the article, but it had already gone "to print."

Wasn't much to it, anyway. I saw an enemy, I died. :)

Beau

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 1:46PM paraLogiki said

Maybe I'm mistaken, but you look like your in the Frontier which is really meant for higher level players. I'm assuming you're not up there (dying fast). There are also Battlegrounds every 5 levels I believe, starting at 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc all the way to cap. The first few are generally sparse in terms of players (depends on time of day) but each one has a keep in the middle to take over, and includes most siege weapons available from NPC's.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 2:28PM Beau Hindman said

I've been hearing about low-level RvR, but I wonder how and when the game was actually going to tell me about it? I typically do not look things up, per the rules of this column, but I do ask in advice. When I did, a guy sent me there! lol

Still, I'm in no hurry. I'm really loving the PvE stuff right now at level 12. Last night I killed a messenger wolf, and discovered that my horse can swim! lol My wife looked at it and went "It looks like Vanguard!" and it really does remind me of that game. Epic, all that.

Thanks for the advice, I REALLY need to get some RvR going on.

Beau

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 1:46PM Sunaris said

Beau thanks for this article. Haven't played DAOC in a long time and really enjoyed your vid. I really hope you do more, it is an amazing game in more than one aspect. Honestly, i'm thinking of going back and messing around just for fun.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 2:21PM Innocentte said

Just a note on darkness in MMOs. EQ1 had almost total darkness at night. If you were not a race that could see in the dark, you really NEEDED to have a torch in-hand just get around. Good Times.

I loved DAOC, and was there when it launched.
Played until ToA bombed onto the game.
That killed it for me.
Turned a no-grind game into a must-grind game.

One of the biggest post-launch foul-ups in MMO history, in my opinion.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 2:29PM Beau Hindman said

In what way? I'm only low-level, so I haven't seen any grind at all (just having a blast doing PvE stuff)...so do you mean high level stuff or something else? I'd like to hear!

Beau

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 9:24PM Scuffles said

I'll give you that initially some of the ToA artifacts had stupid leveling requirements .... I remember one was Kill mobs in Darkness Falls ..... at night.
That was the crocodile egg encounter If I am not mistaken, the name escapes me at the moment.

But it did what it was supposed to do .... It kept 50s busy. Most of the belly aching was whining about PvP that "the only reason X killed me is they had a lvl 10 artifact."

Since then they have throttled back the encounters (you don't actually get an artifact now just credit), I think they seriously upped the scroll drops and they removed the only stupid part in my opinion early on. That being the crazy specific requirements to level "some" artifacts.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 2:37PM Innocentte said

Trials of Atlantis (ToA) is content for higher level players. It introduced items and gear that you not only had to grind for, you had to grind to keep repaired, or just keep at all.

And, in RvR, if you did not have the ToA gear, you got your head handed to you very quickly.

Which basically made grinding mandatory to play any end-game RvR.

ToA grinding stayed in place for years, and fundamentally killed the game. It has since been 'fixed', but way to late to make any real difference for DAOC.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 3:14PM Beau Hindman said

Just last night I went exploring (the teleporter guy let me go where ever I wanted to!) and went to all the areas, including Atlantis. When I got there, a pop-up explained that "any level"(or something similar) could start the quests for the Atlantis trials. Does this sound familiar?

I decided to go back and just keep at my current level stuff. I already have so much to do in so many games, I didn't want to get ahead of myself.

Also, can you clarify how much PvE I can actually do? I've heard that I can PvE all the way to max level, or at least most of the way -- whatcha' think?

Beau

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 3:17PM Beau Hindman said

I want to make sure that I was clear: I don't want to put information out there as though the game would be "destroyed" for everyone. Obviously, it's still doing pretty well considering it's age. remember, I'm asking for a brand new player. So, can a brand new player have months and months and months of fun before running into these "high level" issues?

I always want to make sure that we are including new players in any discussion. I want all games to have a chance to continue to grow and survive.

Thanks!

Beau

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 2:56PM Bhagpuss said

Few subscription MMOs can afford to show themselves as unpleasantly "grindy" in the starting levels. They generally save it for the point after which you might have been expected to get to the limit of the free trial or even the free month. Some F2P MMOs do bring the grind pretty much straight after the tutorial, but even they usually let you get into double figures first.

I haven't played DAOC since I left about a year after launch and no doubt it's changed, but one of the reasons I left was the unnutterable tedium of grinding through the 40s. I never thought RvR was that special, either, and I played from launch through the so-called Golden Age of RvR. The huge battles were mainly slideshows, many hours were spent looking for someone to fight and Sunday afternoons were known as Player-vs-Door in my house.

Midgard I remember as being mostly mud, not snow. Deeply depressing to spend a lot of time in, although not as depressing as Carthaeon on Telon, the most depressing area of any MMO ever. I played all three realms at various times and I think I liked Albion best as far as scenery went.

I'm pleased to say DAOC is one MMO for which I find the nostalgia very easy to resist.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 3:17PM Innocentte said

Yup. You can PvE to max level, no problem. And, participate in RvR along the way and at the end too.

The ToA content was significantly revised in the past few years. It no longer has the same grind component, nor does it have the same strict level requirements. Although, it is still pretty much for upper-level characters.

The additional expansions have sort of made ToA a non-issue.

Note that ToA was so bad, and so disliked, that a number of servers were created that did not have that content. The 'Classic' servers.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 3:19PM Beau Hindman said

OK< excellent. I didn't know about the "classic" server thing. So, disregard my comment up there about lower level players, if you catch this in time! lol

Thanks for the information.

Beau