Posted: Nov 13th 2010 12:25PM rktsci said

I think the development emphasis has been on the PS3 version of the game, not the PC version. This explains not just the UI problems, but also some of the lag, where it seems that action that would be processed in the client in Eve or WoW are processed in the server - this keeps the client footprint small enough to fit in the console & allows patching on the server rather than client. It is also possible that the code base for the two versions is being kept the same and is optimized for the PS3.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 12:54PM (Unverified) said

perhaps they released when they did cause they needed us pc players to build the economy and make necessay changes for ps3 release. we do play a large part in this game and i think they needed our involvement to make a system like this work.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 1:04PM Betel said

They released when they did because they were pressured to do so by the part of the company. There is no conspiracy.

Most MMORPG's today face the same fate, especially the smaller ones. No developer wants to release their game before it's ready, but companies don't tend to work that way. Developers themselves are usually pretty competent bunch, but the people making the decisions often don't know anything about the consequences of their actions.

Same people also need a kick in the face before they realize the developers need more resources to do what they want to do before all hope is lost. But the sad part is that smaller companies need to make profit to keep developing the game, but how does that happen if nobody plays it?

SE is a huge company, and Final Fantasy is their flagship title, so they have what it takes to make some serious changes that they Need to do if they want to keep the name of the franchise clean, yet they still need the facts shoved in their face before they realize more money needs to be spent on this game. They won't do it just because someone tells them to do it.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 1:06PM Laren said

This game was released early for one reason, money. SE deluded itself into thinking the game was done enough to sell. They admitted that already...they specifically said they didn't look at other mmos while building this thing. Without looking around, they'd have no idea just how bad this game is, relatively speaking.

They released early to cash in on box sales and subscriptions. My sincere hope is that they crash and fail so hard as to make an example that this is not acceptable behaviour.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 6:41PM Solp said

Considering the almost unanimous opinion that FFXIV has failed, with Square themselves stating words to the effect of: "We made a mistake." I think it's clear as day to anyone that FFXIV now serves as a warning. The only thing going for it is it's name.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 5:43PM (Unverified) said

Exactly why XIV launched when it did is certainly a perplexing question. Less then a month after release they very publicly admitted it was a mistake by giving the players an extra 30days. The question is why the hell couldn't they have just decided to push the release date back instead of suffer the massive blowback from releasing an obviously beta stage game?

Sept. 30th is the last date in Q3 and it seems like SE accountants were really the ones that chose the release date, no matter what the state of the game. In the end they managed to make their Q3 earnings look a little better and super screwed their multi-million dollar, multi-year project for many years to come. Super fucking stupid.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 3:12AM WitchDrAsh said

The large elephant in the room carrying a machine gun is Cataclysm, no new MMO release, even one carrying the name Final Fantasy wants to be rubbing shoulders with that, it was rushed out, in my opinion, not because they felt it would sell, not because they felt it would have good reviews, but because they were hoping it was good enough to steal some of the apathetic crowd who had walked away from WoW and those who would give the new levelling experience a go once that drops next month.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 9:39PM Nenene said

"the more negative crowd"?

We prefer 'the reality-based community' as a perjorative, thanks.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 10:50PM hexaemeron said

I couldn't agree more. Call me a cynic, but to me, this was a "They will buy anything with the FF brand. Let's kick it out, make the balance sheet look good, and we'll fix it along the way all the while hearing how awesome we are."

Well, that worked out well, didn't it?

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 1:59AM Terical said

I agree with that 100 plus percent. Letting the developers get away with not even close to putting the finishes (i.e. implementing, taking out what people did not want or changing it to a certain degree) on a game before releasing and allowing problems go un addressed from alpha to closed beta then to open then package it as retail, should allow people to voice their dissatisfaction with out someone or people seeing it as "negative".

I will go far as to say you're the part of the problem of letting these egomaniac based companies believe that players will take anything and be happy with it.

Want to play in laggy UI that plays if Curse was cast upon you *thumbs up*,

don't mind the scenery coming off like a cartoon gag; of seeing the same thing over and over during your travels another thumbs up

mobs kicking your butt while you have to remember how to re target. And take the time to re-target each time

being able to find another player who looks identical as yours.

Put things that a majority is against only if they have a legitimate reasons for not wanting it.

Information being cryptic. Even on basic yet critical information such as battle.

Don't voice your likes and dislikes to developers and watch them toss out anything at players over and over again in the name; of name brand. Oh look it's (insert name of company) lets support them because they made the game, they won awards and have lots of adoring fans!

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 3:21AM WitchDrAsh said

As I said in an earlier comment I don't believe Squenix got complacent with FFXIV, I think they got their hand forced by Blizzard, I genuinely believe they felt the pc release was good enough, and that they could keep momentum up through the initial months, and felt they would sell more games and maintain more subscriptions if they released prior to December, because really no one wants to play with Cataclysm, because the odds are you will lose.
On the other hand if you release early, and it's a bit buggy, but you can hook some of the players that would otherwise be taken up by Cata in March (PS3 isn't competing with WoW, so I'm guessing March would probably have been a universal release date ideally!) then it makes sense, release a threadbare, but solid game, fix the issues, but have people hooked. The mistake was it is a threadbare and buggy game, and so the backlash has been worse, they misjudged the state of their game vs the expectations of the market so are scrambling to hold onto players.

I don't think FFXIV will die a death, I'm going to keep up my subscription because I know from FFXI it will become good, but I know I'll drift back to WoW in December now, something I wasn't sure I would do, and keep peeking back in on FFXIV, and hopefully in March they can pull off a relaunch, perhaps Squenix should offer free subs until then or an incentive to stick around while they finish putting the game in place.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 9:53AM Laren said

Why pay your monthly subscription if you aren't even going to play? Since SE doesn't read these boards...or any...the only way for you to tell them your opinion is to cancel. It is bad enough that they made more then 30 million on the box sales. Stop giving them money, they deserve none of it.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 10:05AM WitchDrAsh said

Because it's free until the end of this month, then looking at the patches they've planned out it looks like it will get better, I'm fairly sure Squenix have got the message from the approach their taking, and to be fair, it's only about £8 a month and even when I'm not seriously playing I'll get a several hours a month logging on doing bits and pieces so I feel I'll be getting better value for money than some of the other things I do.

I'll re-evaluate in Jan/Feb/March time, if it hasn't improved then I'll cancel, until then I'm content to sit and wait and pay for the moderate amount of entertainment it does contain.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 10:11AM Laren said

Ok, that makes sense. I realize some people actually enjoy the game such as it is... I am probably just jealous that you all have a new game while I am stuck waiting for Tera or rifts. :P

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 10:54AM Orekri said

That is sort of where I am at this point. I like the game a lot, but there is no way I could recommend it to anyone in its current state. I actually had a store rep in Gamestop tell me he was thinking of picking it up, and I had to tell him to wait until March at least.

That being said, I see the potential for now. I enjoy crafting, and fighting from time to time, enough to justify sitting it out until March, but if I see nothing promising after they get the stuff they should have fixed to begin with to a satisfactory level, they will force me to go join the reluctant Cataclysm crowd. The UI doesn't bother me enough to hamper my gameplay experience (read I don't fight much so that helps), but I can see already there wont be enough content to keep me paying if they don't get their ducks in a row and start pumping out new content sooner rather than later.

Posted: Nov 14th 2010 10:41PM (Unverified) said

I won't be keeping my sub active like ash, but I'll be back to see the December update. As is, on my above the min specs but still not at the top computer, the cut scenes are too choppy to enjoy and the menu lag is a fun killer.
I have hope for the game but I don't think SE deserves my money when the sub works out to cost me more a month than the average mmo. Yay for exchange rates !
If only I could pay in US$$ not Euros...