Posted: Nov 12th 2010 9:02PM Valdamar said

Sounds like terrible customer service to me - if I was banned with no given reason, after doing nothing wrong, and didn't get a fairly swift resolution, then I would quit that MMO and never play a product made by that dev team or publisher ever again.

Automated bannings are a terrible idea - even if they were sure 99% of the people banned were guilty and only 1% would be innocent then that's still far too many innocent people being banned.

Turbine deserve to lose a large slice of their customer base over this matter.

Admittedly most of their customers aren't paying subscriptions now so Turbine probably doesn't care if a small number of innocent customers can't play anymore, as long as the in-game store profits don't drop too much.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 11:16PM DataShade said

Maybe he'd already finished ranting, but the one guy I've grouped with who was affected by the wrongban was way more calm about it than you are.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 12:04AM (Unverified) said

All the details of my infraction can be found here [not sure if external links will show up] they are on my guilds forum:
I made a mock thread on guilt by association at a rival company, which was deemed to be discussing bans on the forums.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 8:55AM spartanthetriviumorg said

I stopped playing DDO because of this crap a basically stopped LotRO as well. The forum management of nearly all game sites really, really sucks to be frank. Moreover ToS are so blatantly biased it really blows. Some times I wonder just who the hell is hiring suck idiots as moderators and GMs for that matter at these companies. It makes me think there is a serious systemic problem inherent in the industry with executive types responsible for these services.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 1:17PM DataShade said

Look on the first page for my comment, "DataShade said on 8:37PM 11-12-2010" - I think I pretty much covered the "systemic problem," although it is by no means inherent to the gaming industry. Most corporations seem to see customers as passive sources of potential revenue just waiting to be harvested, and seem to see rank-and-file employees as potential liabilities if they ever develop personalities or a sense of empowerment.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 4:52PM (Unverified) said

All many of us have been asking for a year or more now is "Communication" We used to have that when we were smaller paid customers. We had things like WDA's we had more developer participation and I mean Developers not our battle weary forum mods. I just wish that the whole incident was handled better. I wish I didn't feel like we are still being lied to about the automated banning process. I wish I didnt spend the last few days figuring out why several guild mates got bans ranging from 3 days to a whooping 14 for participating in the same live event. Or why many more got warnings. Needless to say I have been one of the former forum vocals who begged for Dungeon and Dragon time sinks, the game of create loot and level can become stale. But now after this fiasco I doubt I'll touch another time sink event again. And even then there is no guarantee my account will be safe since we are finding out people who had not even logged in in months got the same deal.

People say that the unrest in the forums was unnecessary. I say that if people do not speak up something like this may have not been handled at all. And because we could not have an open discussion about it (due to their policies on exploits) Many people took it to personal blogs, twitter, this site and other gaming sites. So now it takes bad publicity to have people own up to their errors? Many will say "well if you feel so done wrong just leave take your money if you still subscribe and go." Yeah I can understand doing that but is this the way the game industry is going to always be? We get treated like crap till we say enough and walk away. We let games that have so much potential dry up due to poor customer service? Id rather them buck up and treat us all customers even those who cannot pay like we are important. That was my biggest issue with the Mabar ban fest once again it felt like serious issues that affect our accounts are really out of our hands. I know this wont be the last time there is a huge mess up but if the company does not fix their costumer relations it maybe the last this long time player puts up with.

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 4:49PM J Brad Hicks said

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me what they thing Turbine should have done differently, KNOWING ONLY WHAT THEY KNEW at the time.

Here's what they knew at the time: relatively early in an in-game event, the automated exploit-detection software reported that thousands of players had found a way to exploit the game and were doing so. The automated exploit-detection software told them that it had sent at least some of the cheaters the customary warnings, and the warnings were being ignored. Once actual bannings began, the people accused of cheating rushed to the forums to insist that they weren't cheating.

Is there anything in the above list of facts that should have given Turbine any reason to doubt that mass cheating was going on? Anything? Players who find a way to cheat in an MMO frequently do, new or newly revised in-game events often have ways to cheat accidentally left in them or accidentally put into them, and cheaters almost without exception scream innocence.

So, using only the facts that they knew at the time they were deleting forum threads, show me how they were supposed to know that the cheat-detection software was false-alarming, what reason they could possibly have had to think that the players were as innocent as they said they were?

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 4:49PM (Unverified) said

Actually, you are incorrect about what they knew at the time. They also knew that the automated banning system had banned huge number of players in error before.

What they should have done:

1. First, it should be impossible for the bannings to be done right before customer service / ppl in charge were gone for the day. This way the issue would have been caught and addressed in a timely manner instead of 24 hours later.

2. Knowing that the system can / has banned in error before, and that people were not going to get any response to their issues with the bans due to #1, the forum moderators should have been much more sympathetic when closing/deleting posts on the topic instead of the smackdown that was received.

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 4:50PM (Unverified) said

What they should have done:

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 4:50PM Djinn said

What they should have done:

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 8:39AM (Unverified) said

Turbine is now the only headquarters for DDO WORLDWIDE, this means they should have proper staff 24h a day.

Not just 8 hours a day EST time, that makes no sense and is not excusable.

I don't blame the staff working 8h-10hours a day (and tech support up to probably 14h-16h on crashed servers instances), but miserly management who pinch pennies on customer support.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 8:39AM (Unverified) said

Not just 8 hours a day EST time, that makes no sense and is not excusable.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM