Posted: Nov 12th 2010 5:16PM KvanCetre said

Crafting sounds a but like the missions you could send your companions on in final fantasy tactics, oddly enough. While it sounds cool, if I'm reading correctly, it says if you come to me asking to have some armor crafted, it could take me hours before I have it ready? That's certainly a big change from the major mmos.

Different, but not a bad thing.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 1:11PM Noah K said

You're thinking about "Bar Propositions". It was actually a really great system. If you sent your best Wizard out on a Prop, you wouldn't have him during an upcoming battle, which could be a deciding factor. Plus, a system as described above regulates the amount of items that enter the economy, which is a good thing. Looking forward to the game!!

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 7:26PM (Unverified) said

1:04

"This doesn't mean you can't do it yourself also."

It's more like having the original crafting systems we're used to, with added NPC backup.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 5:20PM Sharuk said

Ok, now that is an amazing update. Not only do we see crafting but we see an open world and questing and beautiful atmosphere (including rain).

I love the way crafting is implemented here. Game looks better an better.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 5:22PM Minofan said

Yay; that does all sound interesting. ^_^

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 5:23PM jelly jedi said

i'll choose my wookie crew member over a chinese gold farmer anyday

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 5:26PM Sharuk said

When devs want to take the easy way out with MMOs they implement grinds. This is true in a lot of Asian MMOs. Grinding in questing and grinding in crafting. BioWare seems like they are taking the grind away from both completely. It looks like they are going the extra mile in terms of actual content and work.

Kudos to them.

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 6:17PM jimr9999us said

Color me impressed.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 5:32PM Randomessa said

• 1 heart
Wow; I never thought I'd be advocating for something that others consider a grind, but crafting is something I like to do in-game when I *don't* want to quest/fight anymore. Since I only like to quest/pvp/etc. in short bursts, this actually keeps me in-game longer and allows me to socialize more (something I don't do well when out soloing or playing with my husband).

This is.... nice, I guess, for those who don't feel that way, but disappointing for me. It's a real shame, because it's not like I wanted SW:TOR to be a completely different game, a la SWG, but this is *so close* and yet just a hair enough away from what I like that it reduces my interest by a bit each reveal.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 6:10PM (Unverified) said

If you watch the video, it clearly illustrates that a player can go out and do all the gathering and exploring themselves. The actual crafting process is handled by the companions. But as DE alluded to in his interview here, if you want to sit there and watch your companions craft then that's your prerogative. But there's zero difference between the process of AFK crafting and having your companions do it on the ship.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 6:38PM Randomessa said

I did notice that you can opt to gather your own materials. I also noted that there's no difference between AFK crafting and having your companions do it. My point is that I don't AFK craft - I like involved mini-game style crafting like Everquest II, or even more complex systems like Vanguard (which I did not get into in depth but which sounded interesting).

That's not present here, which is great, for those who would rather do without.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 5:33PM CCon99 said

Sounds interesting, hopefully this means you'll be able to actually craft items that are meaningful and not garbage that is mediocre compared to "quest rewards". But looks cool so far, good to see companions will be doing stuff that helps you out, instead of just following you and slowing you down when they get stuck on the landscape.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 5:33PM Its Utakata stupid said

Hey...is there away to craft your own campanion droids?

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 5:41PM (Unverified) said

1:34 - What's up with the person frozen in stone?

It's very nice to see a different system in place than the standard fare. Plus, I liked the slight humor of the video, particularly with the crew left in the dark. :P

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 6:14PM Resurge said

yea i'm just gonna assume you meant carbonite there, and let that pass.

I also was wondering about it though. Is that some sort of nod to Han Solo on a very odd set decoration piece or wtf? Why would that exist in that time line? Did they have a human-carbonation process back then in the Old Republic? I'm no Star Was expert, but I just sorta assumed since they tested it out on Han in preparation for Luke in Empire, that it was a new process ..i don't read the books or anything, but maybe someone with higher nerd credentials than me could answer what the hell is going on with this? Or IS it stone ..and if it is, again ..wtf is going on here?

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 6:21PM CCon99 said

The character looked like a Bounty Hunter, maybe BH's get missions to capture NPC's alive and have to bring them back to the mission giver. Could also be a possible PvP trophy or something. More than likely just a decoration for BH ships.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 7:06PM Valdamar said

The carbonite process may just have been rediscovered in the era of the original movies, rather than being invented then. The Star Wars universe has had quite a few "dark ages" where technology was lost, as I understand it.

Or maybe carbonite freezing just hadn't been used for storing living beings for so long that people had forgotten that use for it. Vader just wasn't sure if it would work and wanted proof, but that may have been a gap in his own knowledge as much as anything.

Posted: Nov 13th 2010 11:09AM Amaxe said

Didn't Vader refer to the Bespin facility as crude but able to serve his purposes while Lando pointed out that it was not intended for humans?

Maybe Vader was just adapting to what he had to work with?

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 6:41PM (Unverified) said

Feeling real good about this, I was skeptical up till now. Seems like they got it down pretty solid.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 6:55PM archer75 said

This is a great feature. Looking forward to the game!