Posted: Nov 11th 2010 1:12PM phatbhuda said

I'm still hoping that the incarnate system turns out to be fun. I also hope that the content is entertaining too.

As it stands though, I'm taking a wait and see approach to coming back to City.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 1:19PM GumbyJD said

It'll be nice to have something to do at L50 once you've finished your build with regular set IOs and are mainly just farming to save up for whichever of the purple sets your powers'll take for that little extra bit of OOOMPH they give.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 2:17PM Superfan said

• 1 heart
Sounds interesting. I hope it is a fun journey and not just another system added like Positron is so infamous for.

However, how long will it take to add all slots? There are 9 more Incarnate slots coming? CoH is slow at adding stuff (not always but often) so are we looking at completing our character in...what...3 years?!?!?!?! The game might be shut down before then. lol

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 2:29PM Stormwaltz said

So it's a new system of raids that come with their own unlockable raid-powers?

Sounds interesting in theory, but if I'm reading that right, they're going to spend months focusing on content I'm unlikely to ever play. I don't enjoy raiding.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 4:08PM DancingCow said

Like storm, I'm not a big fan of raiding but I am interested to see how this system works.

But if they're going to release it in stages I'll probably wait a bit before I resub to look at it. CoH remains my all-time favourite MMO, but I've played it to death so the incarnate system will need to be really substantial to get me back for more than a month.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 4:18PM Sam not Spam said

While I've not found the idea of raiding to be interesting before, if its done like the RWZ Mothership or maybe WHO and CO's open quests that'd be interesting. City of Heroes is at the same point as other MMO in that they really need to branch out and diversify from where they were. Of course, as time has gone by other MMO's have had to become more casual friendly COH is finding itself needing to become more hard-core friendly. Its necessary growth for the long-term health of the game, I think.

As a more casual player who (I feel) has been well catered to for a while now, I can look at this and appreciate it for what its intended to be. If I ever want to join in? Hey, it'll be there, which wasn't an option before.

And I think its smart they're spacing things out. Players burn through content like crazy, so if they released all 10 slots at once I can about guarantee that there'll be players who get all of them in a month or something abusrdly short like that.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 5:28PM DancingCow said

You're probably right and there would be some players who do that.

Personally.... I played CoH when it first released back in 2004 and it has taken them this long to effectively raise the level cap. In the interim I've spent more than 2 years subscribed levelling alts through the same content.

There's only so much of that one can take.

I don't want to resub, find myself at the new cap again and then be left twiddling my thumbs until they release the next stage. The idea of (again) levelling alts through the same content has no appeal. So for me it would be resub, unsub, resub, unsub etc. etc.

I'd rather be patient and wait until they've released the entire incarnate system and then play through it with a single character.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 6:44PM Sam not Spam said

Totally understand. I'm on year 5 myself and have my focus in-game shifting a lot. So for me I think this is something I might be ready for but then I hardly alt. I take side-breaks into other games now and then (recently WOW, currently Aion, next will be Fallen Earth) as well.

Whenever you're ready, we'll be ready and waiting for you! :D

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 6:20PM Sam not Spam said

AAAAAAND I can see Open Beta forums on the officials! Go read the patch notes!

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 9:06PM (Unverified) said

For right now, yes, but on the overview site (http://goingrogue.cityofheroes.com/en/game-info/incarnates/overview.html), the next slot, Judgement is an upgradeable area of effect power.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 10:01PM Valdamar said

I've really loved CoH over the years for how casually it could be played, but I've often wanted more things to do with the L50 characters I have that I want to play again.

But I'm hoping the Incarnate system won't be too hardcore - I'm hoping it won't turn into grinding the same raids and content over and over again for the incarnate enhancements. Basically I'm hoping that the Incarnate system isn't going to turn CoH into WoW/EverQuest, because I would hate to see this Dev team focusing most of their efforts on an endgame system that most of their playerbase won't use - especially as a sizeable proportion of their playerbase still don't have L50 characters, despite how easy it is to reach L50 in this game (I have 18 L50 characters). What gives me some hope is that they've said the incarnate abilities will only really affect the things you do in the incarnate task forces.

If the incarnate system taps into the kind of casual raiding that makes Task Force running and Mothership raids so much fun then it will be great. If it acts as a disincentive for players to play alts and pushes most people into focusing on a single main character because the endgame is such a grind then I think it will be a mistake, because that is not what most of CoH's playerbase wants (me included) - and no matter what they do now I don't think this incarnate system would pull in masses of new subscribers (not more than GR did anyway, and it seems to have made my servers a lot more populated) - about the only thing that would drag in lots more subs now is making the game F2P and I can't see that happening while it is still relatively successful. So hopefully the incarnate system is aimed more at the existing playerbase than the WoW generation and will be just as fun and casual as the rest of the game.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 3:04AM (Unverified) said

I think what Tim meant to say was: "Fear me!"