Posted: Nov 11th 2010 5:12PM Mr Angry said

In life you rarely encounter true opposites. Not every thought, action or expression has an antithesis, a true paradox.

This was until now, I have no idea which game you have been playing Ryan, but it reads like a Cryptic press release. I usually give Massively a bit of a break on coverage, but this is just b*llsh*t.

As a lifetime subscriber I've seen what you have written about in very different terms. I refuse to subscribe to the fact that Massively staff need to be fans of games to write about them, and that gives a positive light to news coverage, when true experiences from many posting here have been 100% the opposite of what you have written. It's kind of like you guys don't really care what contributors write in response to these types of stories, as you guys know better and we are just a bunch of idiots.

Star Trek Online offers very poor value, the game is still incomplete and it's very loosely based on Star Trek and a MMO in even looser terms. You might be willing to wait and see, but many paying subscribers are not. Let's not forget these games are not free. The missions are repetitive, there is very little in the way of immersion, community tools, end game content. I would say it has less depth than Runescape at a price point of the major AAA titles.

I appreciate that you probably have the inside track on Champions Online beta keys later this year (let's see if that happens) but to talk about Star Trek Online in such glowing terms is inaccurate and I hope to god no one rushes out to buy it as a result of this, as they will feel quite rightfully out of pocket.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 8:26PM Ocho said

I take it you expect every single article about STO to be about how crappy it is and how its the worst game ever made, how can it last 9 months, the people playing it have no clue and are wasting their time and money and blah blah blah blah blah. Well, if we took what the forums and what the majority of comments are like... then shouldn't every article about every game basically be the same thing? A rant about what is wrong with the game and how only idiots play them?

There are two sides to every story... and I know you pay attention to all the articles as I've seen you post your diatribes before... but especially when it comes to STO, they've posted plenty of articles about how the game at launch didn't live up to expectations, how it was half-baked, how ground combat is rediculous, etc. Please go reread them. There are those out there who DO enjoy this game. Not because of how we think it should be "WoW in space", but how it is Star Trek... how it's not exactly like every game out there, how its distinctly different... how it has points that other MMO's should be taking cues from... sure, it has its flaws, but EVERY game has its flaws. You may not agree with articles that put it in a good light, but I do, so I say keep em' coming.

They have made so much progress since they first released, I can't wait to see where this game is going...

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 2:16AM placebonation said

Well he is right.

This game promised a Star Trek game. Not a CO in space. Just ironically less fun. The game has its fun points. But that lasted about a week. Then in my surprise I started to see all the fail around me. I think the first time I really enjoyed STO was when I came back after a break from it attempting to see what had changed. Not much. But the Diplomatic mission was much closer to what I always wanted. Star Trek is mostly about the stories that usually involve being in the ship and interacting with things internally or from your bridge. Even if its battle, travel or diplomacy. Away missions should include more than the "kill ten rats" recipe. Really really sick of that. I remember when MMOs were fun. Back when muds were the best mmo around. Then the sandbox of Ultima Online. You could and were encouraged to enjoy your time and progress without ever picking up a kill ten rats quest.

I am not trying to compare STO to Ultima Online. Just ive done it in EQ, WoW, CO, DaOc etc. Sick of it. The last place I want it is in my beloved Star Trek Universe. The company before that had the rights for a blink of an eye 'Perpetual' i think is the name had it right. They wanted players to have their own ships that their friends could man with them. Engineering was planning to look rather complicated which it should. They knew that the interior was important. They KNEW what trekkies wanted. Sigh...

tl;dr This is my the Star Trek Universe I grew up in. Give us what you promised us. Before you released this pos you call an epic win.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 4:10AM Pan1 said

• 1 heart
No, Mr Angry is right.

Adding words like 'diatribes does not make you sound more valid either Mike.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 5:23PM darrenkitlor said

@Mr Angry

We get that Star Trek Online has major issues - in fact there are several Massively articles that point this out. This article's intent is to point out where the game has changed - not where you want it to change. There's a big difference between those two.

Anyways, the Foundry is being tested right now and it is intended to deliver on some fairly big promises - especially since the devs have been working on it so long.

Instead, you get incensed that the writer (and how dare they?) decided to right about what has actually changed each season instead of what people wanted to change season.

Would of, could of, should of: none of these statements describe what the game is actually like now that it's nine months old - they described failed potential but they don't inform the audience about what the game is - only what it isn't.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 5:26PM (Unverified) said

Well, all I can say that after realizing what a incomplete build of a game they released they can now comfortably say "Hey we slapped a band-aid on lack of PVE content for other races, we tried making more races but that has stopped as well instead we will do weekly episodes...and of course lets not forget the fact we will now rely on the STO community to deliver content in hopes of saving face with this pile of S**t".

This is one of the prime examples of a mismanaged licensing by an MMO company.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 6:00PM CCon99 said

The picture above that has a Federation enlisted Bajoran with bright purple hair and a character in a hideous outfit that Rainbow Bright would find tacky, is proof enough that Cryptic were the wrong people to get their greedy paws on the Star Trek license.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 6:27PM Saker said

I enjoyed CCon99 comments. Made me laugh! "purple hair and a character in a hideous outfit that Rainbow Bright would find tacky" Ha! Couldn't agree more!

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 7:35AM Harley Dude said

@CCon99: I couldn't have said it better myself. Between that picture and the Cryptic press release that this story is, I almost have to think this is some sort of parody.

"STO was a stable, fun change of pace from fantasy MMOs"

What STO did you play at launch? If by "stable" you meant constant disconnects during endless load screens and daily server crashes for hours at a time, then yeah...

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 8:41PM StClair said

I suppose the possibility that outfit was made solely for that joke, and is no more representative of the real game than your average "funny screenshot" feature on this meta-site (Around Azeroth, etc), completely eluded you.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 5:54PM Mad Dog said

This not FTP yet...

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 5:57PM (Unverified) said

STO is a steaming pile of excrement, by far the worst MMO I have ever played. Cryptic has not made a decent game since City of Heroes.
I personally will never purchase another Craptic title ever again, but hey if you like incomplete half assed games STO may be right up your alley.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 5:55PM (Unverified) said

One must hate star trek to make such a game.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 11:30PM CCon99 said

LOL This should have been the blurb on the front of the game box. =)

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 5:59PM Oskiee said

I feel really bad for those lifetime subscribers if STO goes f2p. Those people better get some kind of bonus's if it happens. Or a refund.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 2:18PM sandwiches said

Why? Free players will never get as much as lifetime subscribers. There's nothing they need to compensate them for.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 6:27PM rhorle said

I regret to inform you that a birthday happens after 12 months and not 9.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 6:32PM agitatedandroid said

Sorry to be contrarian but I just started playing STO this week and have so far found it to be quite a bit of fun.

I'm sorry Mr. Angry didn't enjoy it but when was the last time he enjoyed anything?

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 8:35PM Scarecrowe said

A week? Give it some time. I enjoyed the first week too...

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 10:00PM Mystal said

I liked STO a lot for a couple of weeks, too. The space combat truly is/was a lot of fun.

Eventually though you realize that the game is not built to last. There's really not much to look forward to, as the game is mainly set up as a gear chase, and the gear (ship modules) is SO easily acquired that it's a bit of a joke.

The game actually has a lot of potential. if they could ever make ground combat as compelling as ship combat, you'd have two good elements to the game, and then it probably wouldn't matter that the game is nothing but a repetitive loop of ground and space missions, or that the crafting sucks, or that there's basically nothing that cryptic won't do to coerce you to use the C-store, etc.

I haven't played in 3-4 months, so I'm sure they've added a lot more content in that time, but I doubt they turned that shitty pseudo crafting system into any thing worth spending a second of time, or solved the common bugs like ground mission objectives that spawn under the world, etc. Last I heard they were doing their best to turn people off to the one aspect of the game that most actually seem to enjoy (space combat).