Posted: Nov 11th 2010 2:19PM CCon99 said

LOL just saw on Twitter that CO is offering Lifetime Subs again.

Only Cryptic would try to sell Lifetime Subs as their game is about to go free to play, and sell that lifetime sub for $100 more then it originally cost a year ago.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 2:58PM blakerefuge said

Only Cryptic, you say? Isn't that pretty much exactly what Turbine did with LOTRO? You know, that hugely successful F2P MMO that saw ridiculous gains after the switch?

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 4:56PM (Unverified) said

@Blake
Wait, Turbine offered Lifetime again? I was hoping they would, but I never saw it up on their page - or here.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 5:04PM CCon99 said

Um, no? It definitely wasn't exactly what they did. Turbine hasn't offered Lifetime Subs again since they announced they were going F2P (in fact they haven't offered them since before the Turbine/Warner merger). Here was their official response when people asked if they would be available before F2P started. "There are no plans to reintroduce a lifetime subscription offer." http://forums.lotro.com/showthread.php?335837-Lifetime-sub-one-last-chance

And I didn't find Cryptic selling Lifetime subs odd, I find it odd that they went and raised the price by $100 when its value has greatly decreased because of the game going free and since a potential buyer would have already missed out on a full year of its value. It's a pretty steep price increase and gamble on a failing game that still could very well go offline if this F2P gamble doesn't work out for them.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 3:53AM Psychotic Storm said

Supply and demand many asked for it and they decided to sell it, nothing bad there.

Actually Lifetime has gone up in value, since not only it provides a constant gold membership, but also gives access to expansion packs for free and 400 Champions Points per month.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 3:21PM Caerus said

I feel like the travel powers were something CO did 100% right. Being able to use the powers any time I wanted, coupled with the fact that the powers were actually *different* from one another, made me feel like the customization actually made a difference.

Call me crazy, but I enjoy choices that matter. Picking between my swift red windrider and my bronze drake should be more than "what do I want to look like today?"

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 3:37PM dudemanjac said

Maybe they have discovered there are ppl who would be willing to pay it. Tell me where the problem is.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 6:14PM Arcadian said

I'd like to meet these people.

They'd be easy marks and deserve to be parted with their cash.

If you're willing to bet that this game will still be around in January 2013, then by all means, plunk down those three Benjamins, friend.

The other 99.999999% of us are smarter than that

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 7:53PM dudemanjac said

Didn't say I would. Just said they must think there is someone who would. I bought a lifetime sub when it first came out. Just recently reinstalled it to go have some more fun. Unfortunately I'm currently being pulled by a beta I'm in and CoD:BO. Then again that's why I got a lifetime so I could drop in and out at will.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 10:58AM (Unverified) said

There is a difference between watching sports and practising: this applies for melee fights. Taking advantage over another melee usually requires taking risks, so the duelists may not be as bored as you are.

Being a melee character does not make positioning less important. Since most of your attacks can only be given in very short range or contact, positioning is just critical, and it is way harder to move since you are kind of obliged to evolve on ground among ennemies and allies. There are also areas of effects in circles or cones, but no lines though.

Compared to the flying jerk that just stays remote, moves without cost and spams ranged attacks that do not even require you to be accurate, a melee player seems like an artist and a stratege. Lunge powers just make moves less tedious, but range is amazingly limited and cooldowns apply.

Evasive powers are useful in PvE but no big deal in PvP: if you can't achieve superiority in duel, taking a breath away will usually not change the outcome. It may tag you as a non-fair player who will have more problems to find duelists in the future. No need to mention what many duelists think about Teleport (at least those who don't spam it).