Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:15PM (Unverified) said

I have been a paying player of DDO since launch 4 years ago. Last night at 9pm I get an email that I have been banned. Somehow it was related to something that happened during this Mabar event. Amazing It's 11am central time now and I have not been able to get through to Turbine to get any sort of explanation or assistance. The issues I have are:

1. Granted its only a 3 day bann. However its paramount to calling me a cheater and I don't think that's acceptable considering I am a paying customers.

2. I find it amusing that the bann was communicated to me at 8:52 pm and 12 hours later I can still not get a response to my ticket nor get through to Turbine via the phone.

3. The DDO forums have blown up with these issues. At this time we have had absolutely no response from anyone at Turbine.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:25PM cic said

I commend Turbine for their impressive and rational approach towards this serious and grave player issue. I would also like to applaud them for their mature dealings with the criticism from the unsavory lower rungs of the DoD community. /s

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:26PM cic said

DDO*

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:31PM (Unverified) said

As others have stated, the whole problem here is that none of the players has any clue whatsoever as to the reason for the bans and warnings. Don't forget- these disciplinary actions are for an event that ended almost two weeks ago. If someone knows, they're not fessing up.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, but in this case- No one has any idea what the violation was. It's been gaming as usual for most of us and apparently lots of people with previously spotless records have been banned. Some people report 7 and even 30 day bans as well.

Every attempt to piece this together on the forums leads to thread deletions because Turbine doesn't allow us to discuss bannings or exploits.

Several of us have resorted to switching to an alternate forum to discuss the situation, but I really don't think we're any closer to figuring this out. Turbine has really been screwing up a lot lately, and I just have to wonder how many more straws it will take to break the camel's back.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:36PM (Unverified) said

3 day? I got hit with a 7 day ban. I'd really like to know why. I don't exploit because I want to continue to play the game. I have found exploits and reported them not abused them.

I don't recall disconnecting at all, even when turning in items for gear that so many people crashed on. I sure as heck never did the exploit to get more than 24 people into a single instance.

I never summoned a hireling once. I did not use the pendent of time.

I did play a caster. I did watch over the lever and made certain that the room below was flooded with light. THAT WAS MY JOB. Trying to wach the room below for the dragon was pain given how much of your viewing area was covered up. So the easiest thing to do was pull the levers and deal with the mobs that would try to turn the lever off. THAT IS HOW THE QUEST WAS DESIGNED. But this is also why I'm betting the ban hammer was thrown out there. "farming motes" in this manner. All because of how the quest was designed. The only way to stop the mobs was to kill the dragon.

Don't you think I would have! The grind got bloody obnoxious and the motes were so darn easy to get. Getting dragon scales was what slowed me down.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:36PM (Unverified) said

Thank goodness a site has finally exposed this for what it is.
A giant Public Relations Nightmare for turbine.
Having tried for some time to get anyone from Turbine on the phone for a comment, it is obvious they are in damage control and are unsure of indeed what , if anything to say on the matter.
No one has yet explained the reason or supposed exploit and potentially wont.
However, One source close to the Turbine Staff has posed the point that a senior member of Turbine staff was in fact dismissed on Friday and perhaps this has been their way of venting their anger over their dismissal.
The obvious cut n paste email and clear randomness of the bannings leads me to believe that this may in fact be the case.
One would hope that if this is so that Turbine will come forward with a public apology and some form of compensation for those affected.
However the old reliable "we dont comment on disciplinary issues" is more plausible in a situation such as this..

...and i so advise....

"Trust me..I'm a Journalist........."

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:42PM (Unverified) said

No, it's ridiculous. We're talking about *hundreds* of people with bans here- people I know and people who have done nothing wrong. It's an outrage the way Turbine treats us- the only reason I put up with it is because I love the game, but even now, I question my subscription.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:49PM (Unverified) said

@phalaeo: You're not alone. I seem to be one of the lucky ones that didn't receive a warning or a ban, but this definitely puts my future as a faithful subscriber in question.

I'm just waiting to see what Turbine has to say first.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:57PM (Unverified) said

But that's the main issue, I would not be foolish enough to say that no one exploits in MMO's but the massive amounts of players who have no idea why they would get banned or warned at all for this manner. None of this makes any sense. And instead of giving a thorough explanation to those banned especially since they would break the rules by discussing such on the boards they gave a generic email so all that does is fuel speculations. Now people will be Leary if not avoidant of any or all ddo live events. No use playing in a mine field that could get you banned or your account marred by their bad coding. This is a serious blunder on their part, they really fail to understand that a little explanation would go a long way in calming down both anger and fear from this event.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:58PM (Unverified) said

A friend of mine got banned. He has a pretty good theory on the banning and the exploit. Apparently if you drink a mabar draft potion you get drops from what you kill more often. People where pulling the level for the dragon which created gargoles every time. Combine this with the potion and you have a system for farming items. So respecitivly a group could be at the lever, all having drank the potion and just keep pulling it over and over again and getting items. Since they can't pin point who was pulling the lever or the group that was doing this, if your in a dungeon that this happend in once you get warned, twice you get banned and more than three times you get 7 day ban. Guilt by association.

Haggis

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:09PM (Unverified) said

Its good to see the big repercussion Turbine's mistake is getting. I'm on hold for their customer support for 20 minutes now. On an international call.

I didn't buy any pots from the store, I didn't stay at the lever a single time, I didn't DC'ed on purpose, and I didn't do anything people has been saying it could be the cause for this ban.

First time I had issues with Turbine's LAME staff I've canceled my VIP. Got to premium, bought their US$49.99 Turbine Points and was thinking of buying more.

Turbine won't be seeing a penny from me again if they don't apologise and try to compensate me for their incompetent GMs and staff's mistakes.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:10PM (Unverified) said

Some were given 30 day ban, 7 day ban and 3 day ban then others got warning. I got a warning. I do not exploit. I do not do anything but what the game is intended, kill stuff, get xp and gear and level up. I've never window farmed,dual boxed or any of that stuff. I farmed for motes all 4 days. I ran to the bar in House J to get health and SP as needed. i did use the coffee and draughts from the store. I did every dragon fight I was online for. I was on a lever and only pulled when the dragon was in the room I was at for every fight. I was never DC'ed during any of the dragon fights, or while crafting. No clue why I got the warning. Not happy and canceling my VIP.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 2:15PM (Unverified) said

I too, often view the pleadings of players recently banned with suspicion. Like "The Shawshank Redemption" prison seems to be populated by entirely innocent people.

The difference here is akin to this analogy. Suppose you are pulled over by police and the policeman informs you:
"I am giving you a ticket for violating traffic laws"

You ask:
"Which law did I violate"

They reply
"it is not our policy to discuss legal matters in public"

You reply
"But I'm not sure what I did and how I can correct my behavior"

They reply
"You are also receiving a fine for Disturbing the Peace for discussing legal matters in public"

You can see how this goes downhill pretty fast. I understand the frustration as no one knows exactly what the problem is so they don't get banned for it in the future. Its not they they disagree with the ban that is so bad--its the "How do I prevent this from happening" and the heavy-handed replies from Turbine

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:25PM (Unverified) said

I've been a subscribing member to DDO pretty much since launch, and currently a VIP member. I also got the 3 day ban for the mabar event with no explanation just boot from game, and an email. I cancelled my membership but like may renew, however why would I buy points for cash from them. If they can arbritrarliy just ban you for doing something you dont know about. The event was a public instance with people you didnt know generally given you could group. The dragon raid was basically a bunch of people thrown together it split up groups into different instances. All I know is there telephone support cant help me. I sent emails to a senior cust support rep there, ingame cust support, and to warnerbros the people who recently purchased them. Its ridiculous this type of cust support and I will be looking into other games, as I would suggest others to do.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:41PM (Unverified) said

Time to go over the Turbine Customer Supports head..

How ever after some searching I now have contact information for WB online entertainment and would suggest everyone contact Wendy Bozzi at 813-977-3322 who is the contact for WB Online Entertainment.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:46PM (Unverified) said

Thank you for posting this story. I hope that it will help to shine light on the policies the developer uses in these situations.

Unlike many other 'exploit' situations that arise on other games and in DDO's past, this one is truly mysterious. This is not about leveling loopholes or extra loot. It affected people seemingly randomly, nearly all of whom thought they were participating in a silly 4-day seasonal event. A group of people who played together through the event could find one or two banned, one warned, and the rest unaffected. This isn't the leet powergamer squad; this is, "huh? so-and-so's girlfriend got banned? she was on for 2 hours!" As far as anyone can tell, none received any additional boon during the event and thought they were having a fun time.

The bans went out late at night, after customer service hours ended. As the DDO playerbase searched for answers for this mystifying exploit (rumors abound, but no one has confirmed what glitch in the system so many people could have independently hit across servers, across classes, across levels, across guilds, and across the casual-powergamer spectrum. There are a few theories for actual major bugs in the event that most of the playerbase never encountered; perhaps the investigation began with meaningful wrongdoing. Where it has expanded shocks the conscience. Understandably, Turbine wants to monitor the forum outrage, but many of the accused and their friends are fed up with the lack of answers and seeming arbitrariness of the situation.

Trick or treat? The Mabar event is long past. The bugs could have been quietly fixed, perhaps the few true cheaters taken care of if such a thing exists, and no harm would have been done. Instead, it's hard not to feel tricked by the way this was handled: heavy-handed, arbitrary bans done late at night and without any proof of wrongdoing.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:46PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:55PM (Unverified) said

I appreciate the sincerity and honesty, and I applaud Turbine for admitting this mistake instead of continuing the cover-up. However, 100 TP (less than a dollar) seems like it hardly covers the 16 hours of paid subscription (plus however long it takes for accounts to be reinstated). The cash value of lost game time is not far off of this amount, anyway. It's not so much that people deserve more, but that it does feel very 'token' considering the emotional distress and the stigma of cheating. Even extending subscriptions by a few days seems more appropriate.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 2:02PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 2:28PM (Unverified) said

Hang on there, Massive article updater guy. Let's not let Turbine slide with this "less than 1% of the player base" garbage.

As someone on the DDO forums pointed out:

Turbine claimed that there has been a growth of over 1 MILLION new players since they launched their free to play model. This number does not include all of the previously existing pay-to-play customers.

Let's be real here, we're talking multiple thousands of customers banned- possibly upwards of ten thousand.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM