Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:50AM (Unverified) said

You know, there are two sides to this coin. If there is an exploit, it's cause the programmers are inept and are missing things. If they are so willing to ban someone for exploiting something like this when they did not know they were doing as such, I would say that Turbine/DDO be boycotted. I mean, if you can get punished for doing something that you didn't know you were doing, then the programmers/turbine/DDO should be punished for doing something they did not know they were doing.

Keep it up, Turbine.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 3:57PM pcgneurotic said

"...the programmers are inept..."

Nice, that's really, really nice. Clearly Kpatterson is a font of empathy and charity. Or a total putz.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 5:11PM (Unverified) said

Neurotic,
Soo, I should show empathy to the people that put out a defective product and collect money for said product and then condemn people that unknowingly benefit from the defectiveness of that product; the very people that pay for them to have a job at all?
There are many ways I am empathetic and there are many ways I am not. But you? You suffer from misguided empathy AND you're a putz.

What a tool

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:50AM Vrazule said

Just another example of how the developers of this genre view the players as adversaries rather than paying customers. Banning accounts without discussing it with the customer beforehand is not only bad business, but is unethical to boot. Any sane person knows that you discuss the matter before you dispense with punishment, that's parent 101, business 101 and legal system 101. My accounts were banned due to being hacked with Blizzard and NCSoft. No discussions before hand and the rings and hoops to jump through to get it fixed after the fact made me so angry, that after I was cleared, I cancelled my accounts and will never do business with either of them ever again. I will not be treated like a child by a bunch of sniveling tweens on power trips.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:52AM (Unverified) said

I agree with Lateris. Teleport all your toons to a dungeon, a purgatory of sorts, where you wait until a GM shows up. It could be just like MUDs used to be.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:53AM aillas said

This is one of those times where more info is needed to fairly evaluate what happened. What was the exploit, or least what "advantage" did players get?

This was at an in-game festival, what are we talking about - avatar dancing in a certain spot led to collecting more festival items? Something like that and I think, no that isn't an exploit.

Getting quick xp by talking to an NPC (say there is a repeatable quest and normally the final NPC is deep in a dungeon, but for the festival they are standing in a plaza and easy to get to), maybe. Etc.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 11:00AM benfolds said

I understand the Zero Tolerance stance most game companies use, but the should also inject a "Common Sense" clause as well. Pissing off customers is something that gaming companies stand in elite company with, such as cable companies. Instead of dropping the "Ban Hammer" right away, draw a line in the sand and say "Ok, from here on out if you do it, this will be the consequence". Sounds simple enough, doesn't it?

This kind of story should be a wake up call to Devs. Crap on your customer, it's only a matter of time before they take their free time and money somewhere else. Make sure you are punishing those that are outright exploiting the game, not those that do so unintentionally. It only leads to resentment and lost revenue. And a bad Rep.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 11:06AM Its Utakata stupid said

I would of issued a warning instead and rolled back any ill gotten gains if needed. That way I would of more likely kept those customers who are walking away from the game over this. Just saying...

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 11:13AM Dblade said

Hmm, usually if you have exploits you have no shortage of people bitching about how it was a valid gameplay tactic. If you have a lot of people wondering what the hell happened, my guess would be one person in a PUG exploited and the rest had no idea. Turbine bans the whole PUG.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 11:17AM (Unverified) said

I'm not seeing what the exploit actually was, so... this news post is pretty one-sided. I'm not expecting a lot here in terms of journalistic integrity, but I'd like to know a bit more about what's really going on before I pass personal judgment.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 11:22AM xero8p said

From what I am hearing it has to do with disconnecting while in the dragon fight. Yeah a lot of us did that...not intentionally though it's called crappy servers that couldn't handle the event. But yes it is our fault for playing the game, we exploited by playing and their hardware failing and dropping us. At least now we know it is an exploit to rejoin the game thank you. I will personally take the 3 day suspension and raise you 1 cancelled account.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 11:25AM Wurm said

In most cases players know when they are using an exploit. When they get caught the try to play innocent, like they dont know it is an exploit or didnt know it was againt the rules.
When Guild Wars had the last big ban many players stated that they didnt do anything wrong but later they admitted that they cheated.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 11:50AM Its Utakata stupid said

...cite your sources?

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 5:59PM Its Utakata stupid said

Oh nevermind...Dancer was just proven wrong in this case...

Justin Olivetti added:

"[Update] It looks like those bannings happened by mistake. According to Turbine, less than 1% of the player base was affected, but those players can expect the error to be rectified and to receive compensation as soon as possible."

...better luck next time.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:22PM (Unverified) said

I got this warning today, and i have no idea what it is about.

During the event i found it relatively easy doing the collect part (players were unleashed in a zone with undead mobs and told to kill them - the mobs dropped items that could be traded ingame for motes which were used as currency to buy items) as i play a radiant servant cleric. Apart from being uniquely placed to kill a lot of undead because of my spec not really sure what i have supposedly done.

As the warning message is as ambiguous as it gets "you have been warned and it has been entered permanently on your record" there isnt a lot to really discuss...

In the mmo community there is so much exploiting going on that most players have the where there's smoke mentality.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 11:37AM Pingles said

Please delete this article from your website.

Sincerely,

Turbine Management

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:06PM cic said

:D

Good one...

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 11:41AM smackphat said

Then I guess you were luckier than I. I tried to escalate it. I even complained to the BBB. They were rude and illiterate throughout the whole process. Needless to say I will never buy another Turbine product again. It's a shame too. I used to evangelize their products. I even volunteered in their advocate/sentinel program in AC at the turn of the century.

But now they can kiss my ass.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:02PM (Unverified) said

As a 4+ year vet that actively speaks out against exploits, I have to say I'm very disappointed so far as to how turbine is handling this. I received a warning, as did several of my guildmates.. even a couple bans. and none of us have any idea what we did that could be construed as an exploit. The letter was vague and contained no info on what we were accused of.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:12PM TOYBOXX said

• Half a heart
"If the player has no idea what is going on, how can they be guilty of abusing an exploit? I personally did not gain one single benefit from that event, yet I am accused to doing something (unknown) repeatedly to benefit somehow?"

So, what this person is saying is since players didn't benefit from the festival (i.e. win any awards, collect any tokens, or even enjoy themselves within the event) they began to glitch and cheat to make things more interesting?

Look, it's obvious that in the eyes of the gaming public Turbine is to blame. Or are they - really? Were any of us actually there conducting an investigation along side Turbine? I didn't think so. Glitching and cheating is spreading like wildfire throughout the gaming industry with both console and PC's alike.

A pattern of repeated attempts of exploitation had to have happened for Turbine to take notice and release the ban hammer on a few people. In other words, people aren't as innocent as they may seem in online gaming. Especially on the forums.

The Daily Grind: Do you suck at MMOs?

Posted on Jul 25th 2014 8:00AM