Posted: Nov 14th 2010 12:14AM DancingCow said

I'm completely with you on double-dippers.

The only MMO where I didn't mind it was City of Heroes because:

a) the MTs are pure fluff
b) they don't sell players regular expansion packs - so in this respect they're charging players less than the average MMO

Posted: Nov 15th 2010 3:40AM Valdamar said

Yeah that's why I tolerate it and even partake of it in CoH - super-boosters are non-essential fluff and most of them seem like good value for money if you want to use the pieces within - we've only had 2 expansions in 6 years so it doesn't seem too greedy on top of a sub (although I am slightly miffed we've had a lot less "free" stuff in issues since super-boosters started - both costume pieces and other things such as powersets and zone/quest content).

They seem to have judged it fairly well as I was always a staunch enemy of micro-transactions in MMOs, but because of how they're packaged and priced I don't even feel like I'm being nickel & dimed.

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 10:44AM cowboyhugbees said

All I know is that in my case, subscription fees have prevented me from playing games. I'm an avid LotRO player however, and they have made money off of me. They must be doing something right.

Posted: Nov 25th 2010 4:20PM 111011 said

I played a F2P game where I found myself spending £100 a month just to keep ahead of the game and even then I was a mediocre player, and that is not much compared to the other players who spend even more on their parents' CCs. I really really hope that developers go for the Guild Wars model, where you pay for the expansion, and the cash shop is for aesthetic items. I wouldn't mind a pay monthly affair as well, this way my spending does not go out of control, which, I think, is what a lot of working gamers are worried about these days.