Posted: Nov 10th 2010 8:02PM (Unverified) said

I always kind of despised Statesman, both because he comes across as a jerky version of Superman, and because as a concept, his character is really quite lame. Statesman? That's his superhero name? Really? A politician is a statesman. Wtf kind of superhero name is that?

Then yes, there was the whole Jack Emmert's ego-in-a-can thing going too. "It's my game and I'm the king!" (not a real quote. Probably)

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 8:36PM Heraclea said

Statesman has always been a figure of fun for me. When some years ago there was a Mission Architect contest featuring a hero losing their powers, Statesman was the victim in mine. The first mission involved accompanying Flower Knight (NPC from the tutorial) on her mission to rescue Statesman from the Skulls.

Lord Recluse has his tower, and Emperor Cole has a whole city for his palace, but Statesman lives.... on the deck of a freighter.... where he stands around all day recruiting people to take on Lord Recluse in his stead. My hero!

Another interaction with Statesman in game is where you have to rescue him from Tyrant (Cole again) in the conclusion of Maria Jenkins' arc. Here too, Statesman cuts a less than heroic figure.

Nobody has to tell you that Lord Recluse is a badass. You get to fight him and learn what a badass he is yourself, and when you face him you face him alone. Statesman is not even the most dangerous hero in the Recluse strike force, which is the one place villains can confront him.

For a premier, signature hero, Statesman just isn't used a whole lot. Other heroes, like Lady Grey, and even Crimson and Indigo are fleshed out a whole lot more in game content. Statesman needs at minimum to have an office in City Hall or some such. Maybe put him in Galaxy City, to give the zone another purpose.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 11:01PM Superfan said

I don't RP but I still care about the toon I make. It annoys me when their origins are somewhat pigeon-holed and you're second tier to some pretty lame characters.

Jack E is an idiot and is employed by an idiotic company. You see the results. I am sure they will be belly up soon enough. How Jack finds suckers to employ him is beyond me.

I also think most of the signature characters are pretty lame in CoH. Most of the Freedom Phalanx are just lame concepts with horrid costumes. Villains are better and I guess they learned a bit.

CoH is a game that never quite pulls the trigger to make it feel epic. There isn't much in the game that makes you go wow. Lots of great stuff and second tier characters but they need stuff top notch. Players have some great ideas and don't want to be connected to the tier 2 concepts and ideas of the developers (sorry guys, but you really need to read some epic comics and apply that mentality to this game).

Going Rogue, again, gives you option A or B. You're not even really superhero feeling in their. You're resisting the big guy in charge or on his side...or somewhere in between. What if I want none of that and want to beat on all of them? lol

CoH has some great stuff but story, canon and signature characters are really lacking. The devs also really seem to like the whole alternate versions of their signature characters theme; I think it is awful and they really need some new, fresh angles. After 6.5 years they are still based on pretty much the same signature characters and factions. Too bad. When I read comics one of the biggest wow factors was to see that really cool new hero, villain etc. Instead, CoH gives us these dorky looking signature characters and we have to be second fiddle to them.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 12:38AM Jeromai said

Aw, but Statesman serves an important role. Without him and his obnoxious inflated opinion of himself, who else would we love to hate?

I'm going to have to play the devil's advocate in another way too. Yes, players feeling like the all powerful hero is important. But imo, the key is the hero's journey and the capacity for growth and change.

You have to START small in order to grow big.

And a shared lore universe plays a part in providing players common ground for shared stories. Even if the signature hero/villains are only fodder for scorn and laughter by players who would prefer to think of their own characters as better.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 2:32AM Zensun said

I suppose you must not enjoy playing LotRO, either. I mean, your toon must feel so inadequate compared to Gandalf, Aragorn, Frodo, et al. It must really diminish the RP experience and opportunities for you.

"This bothers me as both a roleplayer and a person with a clear picture of my own importance in the grand scheme of things."

Seriously, it sounds more like you suffer a bit for Munchkinism if not outright Godism (or whatever the proper roleplaying term is for players who like to impose actions/thoughts on others).

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 9:36AM lmollea said

You're damned right...

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 12:47PM Zamuel said

Perhaps I'm just too new to CoH or maybe I don't have enough characters that aspire to be Pre Crisis Superman in power level but I've never really got the hate Statesman as a character gets. I understand people's distaste for Emmeret but either I'm not doing the "right" missions or I play CoV too much to see where he's all THAT intrusive into the player's actions other than the fact that he's there. I just see him as the sort of semi requisite Superman guy...with a metal faceplate.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM