Posted: Nov 9th 2010 8:59PM Valdamar said

Surely it can't be long until MMOs start putting buttons over monsters heads, saying "Earn double xp for this monster for 10 cents!" or a button in your skills/talents window saying "Get an extra skill/talent point for just $1 per level!". Obviously they'd be quite large buttons ;)

But I shudder, I really do. At least with a subscription fee all the billing is out of sight after you first sign up until the day you quit. I'd rather not be constantly confronted by purchasing decisions in the middle of my gameplay - it's not just immersion breaking... it's vulgar, and makes the Devs/publishers seem more like moneygrabbers who are balancing the game based on profit, not fairness.

Anyway that was my doom post for the day - let normal service resume ;)

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 2:20AM hami83 said

• 1 heart
If the buttons bother you that much, then don't play a free to play game. They have to make money somehow, it's a business.

Also the gold turbine button is all over the place in the game. I mean, it's not in the game itself, but it's all over the menus and what not. Character window, trait window, skill window, now I guess crafting window.

Ohhhh the future of F2P MMOs are ScArY when you're paying NOTHING.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 4:45AM (Unverified) said

@Hardy
Nothing You say, what about monthly sub I pay? See, if buttons were thrown into freebies face, I'd be fine the don't pay. But I do and get same treatment.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 9:01PM (Unverified) said

Simplifying farming will be a welcome addition.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 9:54PM Nepentheia said

Although Farming is still slow and tedious, the amount of space it demands has been reduced tremendously. I really like that they've gone down to only needing 1 seed, and not 5 per crop--and that those seeds are generic by tier (and type). It definitely has made a difference all around for inventory management.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 2:37AM pcgneurotic said

Yes, it's a very good move indeed, Farming and cooking are, I think, often over-looked as not being 'cool' enough or something, when in fact the end result is well worth the time and effort.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:54AM Stormwaltz said

I disagree.

I said this in Turbine's official forum thread, but I'll paraphrase here: part of the reason I chose the Yeoman vocation is because I *like* how slow and process-oriented farming is. I'm a roleplayer (and I'd bet a lot of others who chose to farm and cook are too). Farming as it is allows me to feel a bit like Sam's old Gaffer, using sweat and patience to obtain a good crop. The proposed changes turn farming into agribusiness.

For those of us who farm because we like it, this is an NGE-style change - removing the spirit of the game that we enjoyed in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience. Sure, players who aren't farmers - or don't enjoy the farming lifestyle - applaud the change. But guys - you're got nine other crafting professions that work the way you prefer! Leave us this one, huh?

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 9:01PM DiscoJer said

The changes are mostly to push the cash shop.

It doesn't really solve the flaws in the crafting system - that unless you do nothing but gather resources, you will far outlevel any gear you will be able to make. This isn't helped by most of the crafting tiers having quests you must do in order to advance. So even if you buy resources off the AH (or I guess now the store, maybe?) you will be stuck on those, unless you have people willing to escort you on them.

The farmer seed thing also seems a fix to a problem that didn't exist.It was mostly a way to get rare seeds that are only a drop (plant a crop with the seed that you got as a drop, harvest it, get some bad crops and make seeds from it). I guess now they will be in the store.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:29AM Tom L said

Disagree. With the simple change of allowing crits while leveling up from proficiency to mastery within each tier it is now very possible to craft yourself the very best gear available at your level.

Before that change, I would agree with you 100%, but now? No way. The rate at which you acquire resources comes close to matching the gear you want to wear/wield.

My champion is 38th and a metalsmith and I made her after the switch and have tested this out. At every stage of crafting I've been able to craft her what she wanted at every sub-tier and keep her well-supplied.

Ta,

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:24PM ScottishViking said

"Crafting is really only useful for alts, which I guess most people in LOTRO have, to make up for the overall lack of content in the game."

Abuh? While LOTRO's crafting system is not the best out there, I'm confused about why you think it's "only useful for alts" (if it's useful for an alt, why not your main?), and do you really think LOTRO "lacks content"? Hmm. Interesting. If you think LOTRO lacks content, why slag on the crafting? Why are you even playing a game that you think has BOTH sub-par content and crafting? Methinks we have a self-flagellant in our midst.

Also, higher-tier crafting is MUCH better, at all levels, than it was a year ago.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 11:03PM Amaxe said

Wow. I never played a RMT MMO before (unless you want to count WoW with the mini pets) and quit LOTRO before it went free to play. Are they all this flagrant or is this pushing it to a new level?

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:02AM Zuljundwumn said

I totally agree with Valdamar.
Putting buttons everywhere with links to the cash shop is just vulgar. Thoses big, blue and gold buttons... About the store, nothing in it is mandatory, really. Exept the shared storage space which should have been free (That is a REAL shame. When I saw it I realized how new features that could be implemented with a simple update will now be charged. Not so great for lifetime suber like me).

And what about this big, HUGE, GIGANTIC "play" button on the character screen ? It just looks so stupid.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:33AM aurickle said

Shared storage has ALWAYS cost real-world money. Before the hybrid payment model was put into place, the only way for even a lifetime account to get shared storage was by buying the Adventurer's Pack that became available at the same time SoM was released.

I'm a lifetime subscriber myself. I wish that for those of us who are VIP's there was a way to make the store less obtrusive. To an extent I've already done that: I reskinned the UI to have a much more appealing LotRO Store button and also got in the habit of never clicking the TP icon in recent events bar. But at the same time, so long as I can skin these new buttons they will not be a big deal and the other changes to the crafting panel are very welcome indeed. My skin's users have been asking for something like this. I'd actually been preparing to redo the panel so that it would be very similar to what they're now doing for me -- except that my version would still have had to have normal and mastery tabs while their new version does not.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 4:43AM (Unverified) said

Seriously this should be called crafting cash shop update as majority of dev diary is exactly about that. Panel update - 3 cash shop buttons, can't get the nagging thought that this was only reason to change it. Store exclusive items for crafting - yay for long needed craft updates *sarcasm*. Generic seeds producing onions or tatters depending what You need, lol just plain stupid - it only dumbify farming nothing else.

And the changes that actually will be interesting to majority of folks aka new dyes and recipes are shoved in the end of diary with no explanation or description. This is no dev diary - it's marketing crap. Shame Turbine, shame.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 5:16AM dudes said

Aww it's just like Farmville now.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 8:01AM nomoredroids said

Win.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 8:48AM Ocho said

Jeez... complaining much? Look. Hate to point out the obvious, but guess what... when there is no sub, you need to point people to the cash shop. Thats just good business. When you walk into a store, do you get mad and complain to the manager about all the signs showing whats on sale or about the display they put up in the front of the store? How dare they try to inform you about sales and try to sell you something! C'mon people... at least there aren't advertisements on shields or billboard advertisements around. Think of that for a moment as that could be a real possibility instead.

The only place where I'd think the cash shop complaints are valid are for those who are subscribing, and for those who have lifetime subs. LotRO should turn on a "hide cash shop reminder" button or something deep down in the settings for them. But ONLY for subscribers or lifers.

But even then there's an argument... lets take Barnes & Noble... they have a membership card that has a yearly fee associated with it. But even with that, they will still (or moreso) mail you advertisements to your e-mail, to your home, etc. If you're already spending money on it, I guess studies show because you're already vested that you're more willing to spend more money... so maybe the cash shop buttons will always be there... in fact, I'd hazzard a guess that the majority or things being purchased from the cash shop are, in fact, by current subscribers... especially if you look at the bestsellers... stat tomes, exp scrolls, etc.

So I guess the way to get rid of them is to not buy from it until the demographics show that it gets in peoples way and they'd make more by hiding it... but really... good luck with that.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:05AM ScottishViking said

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:24AM Tom L said

• 1 heart
It's a whole lotta wahhhh b/c this is the internet and everything should be free and pure. It's retarded and juvenile. Yet another riff by whiny progressives that advertising is evil. Gods forbid a business tries to sell you something you may want.

Perish the thought! Think of the children!

Ta,

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:06AM ScottishViking said

I'm glad about the changes to crafting and, as a Yeoman, to farming. This is great.