Posted: Nov 9th 2010 11:20AM (Unverified) said

1. Anarchy Online. The first time i tried it i really disliked/hated it cause of the graphics if i can recall and maybe a few other reasons. Second time (2 years later) i loved it, played for about 8 months.

2. Vanguard SoH. First time i really hated it when i tried the diplomacy system and barely understood anything about it and thought it was really stupid and waste of time. Then i retried the game after like 6 months and loved it... funnily enough the thing i liked the most was... the diplomacy system.

3. Face of Mankind. At first i couldn't understand a thing, thought it was just a stupid shooter, and gave up on it. A couple days later i watched the whole tutorial video, understood a lot of things i missed the 1st time and soon became one of my favorites MMO.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 12:35PM (Unverified) said

Guild Wars for me. And I had to rediscover it twice to get hooked. I recently started playing it with a friend and was enjoying it. Then I made the mistake of going around the interwebs asking current players for advice on where to start. Everyone told me play the first campaign through then move to the newer ones. Well the reason I didn't get hooked on it when it came out is the same reason I almost shelved it again this year, the first campaign is just too boring for me. Maybe I haven't gotten far enough into it to get to the fun stuff but if I have to slog through that wall area one more time....
The other night though I started playing the most recent one and found it FAR superior in fun level to the first campaign. The ability to spec, equip, and level you henchman was the one extra carrot I needed to truly become invested in it. And I like the setting and story more. If I had followed advice and stuck to the first campaign I imagine it would be uninstalled right now.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 12:22PM Ayonyx said

Age of Conan~ thought the combat was a gimmick until I tried it.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 12:39PM Aquaryon said

I love to hate Champions Online or is it.. hate to love?? I enjoyed the beta very much, bought the game, played it for a handful of months and stopped. I talked crap about the game but yet, I really enjoy playing it. I still think about playing it quite often. I can't wait for it go F2P, I will be all over that.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 12:43PM Aardvarkk said

I know it's not an MMO, but I finally got my brother to play Katamari Damacy. He hated it, thought it looked stupid, but once he starting rolling up school children and dogs he enjoyed it.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 12:56PM (Unverified) said

Wow. I was playing EVE, and liked the sandbox design, spaceships, oww its so cool, you can trade, full loot pvp, etc. I looked down at wow players, how childish game, it must be really easy, boring grind to lvl70 (at that time), no real pvp point of there, etc. Actually all EVE players seemed to think similar.

Some day i wanted my GF (today she is my wife) to introduce to the MMO-s in general, and i tought, that wow must be a great first, since it is so easy and popular. So i showed her how to create a character, how to move, attack, equip clothes, do quests, etc. Then later how to level up, how to craft. She became annoyed, "and when can i play, please"? "Just a bit more, okay? Im in a middle of a quest." i replied. Then we agreed to we change who plays each hour. We soon bought a second computer and a second wow account :)

A friend of mine got caught a similar way by me. He was having a hangover, and was sleeping at us. Next day morning i showed him "that mmo i was talking about", and asked him to do some quests for me with my shaman, while i was away ("there are centaurs, search for them, dont go too close, shoot with lightning first, when he comes close, cast earthshock, heal if you are low, use potions in emergency").
He is a gamer and quickly learned the ropes, so when i was back, he already did the quest, and a few days later made his own account. Later he became a raid leader in TBC.

Ironically, we all stopped playing wow already. But it was really nice. And endgame PvP also was much better than i expected.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 3:06PM Deadalon said

Ever heard of beeing open minded?

So far I have tried games because I found something in them that I might like. Not many games have lived up to my standards recently (WAR - AOC come to mind) but then - its not me that creates the standards. Its the PR that does that.

There are also few games that I havn't gotten to try yet because they dont offer it. Aion comes to mind and I am absolutly NOT going to buy that game to try it out. I dont think its my loss - because if a game can't offer free trial - then what on earth are they making a game for in the first place... Well.. Money ofc ! But not mine !

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 3:19PM Fauxpaws said

WoW - It was so easy to make fun of - the grind, the strange artwork, and the weird meta-language of MMOs (i.e. "our dps was low so I got on an alt and farmed lowbie instances instead").

Finally, after much debate, the wife convinced me to try it. 9 lvl 80's later, I guess you could say it grew on me.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 3:37PM Timme said

Lotro, twice

First time when I was a Wow-junkie. I heard about Lotro but thought it was nothing but sacriledge and wow-copying (how naieve I was). I became bored of wow, and thought what the hell, why not try it for a change.
First played an elf, but fell for the game completely when I rolled a hobbit, and wandered in the Shire just for the sake of wandering.

But then WAR came about, and forced all Warhammer living and breathing creatures to at least go see the world.

Fast forward two years later, it became apparent that there never would be a third faction in WAR. Lotro still stood there, more beautiful then ever, and took me back without a word of blame.

Nowadays, while waiting for the european launch of the F2P, the vile temptress Wow managed to seduce me. I fell for it, and with her next set of sexy content updates she'll probably hold me in her clutches a little while longer.

But my heart is with Lotro, now and always

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 4:07PM Suplyndmnd said

Warhammer Online. I played FFXI for years and time to time i needed a break. This was before they had the endless trial and it was only like a week trial. I got on, found it sort of clunky and all around just didn't care for it. Found out it was extremely heavy in PvP and that sealed the deal for me, no way I was going to play that. Fast forward a while and hey, endless trial. I was debating between it and Age of Conan but I figured endless trial goes first. I played it and I guess because I didn't feel like i needed to rush through it to get a feel for the game I played more relaxed. I paid a bit more attention to what was going on since, again, I wasn't restricted by time. I played for about a month on the endless trial and fell in love with it. The PvP is just awesome in it and I played it for about a year. Even left FFXI for it (well it was part of the reason). I haven't played much in the past couple months because my classes are heavy this semester and lack the time but it was a very fun game and I will go back to it when I have the time.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 5:22PM monkeybones said

WoW.

I avoided it like the plague. I played every F2P game and a bunch of subscription based games and kept loosing guildies to WoW. Stupid game.

My family played the trial last December, and it was clear to me why it was so popular. There was so many things to do and ways to play. There was achievements and quests and pets and professions and pvp and battlegrounds and dungeon finder and the auction house and yada yada yada.

I usually play a couple of MMOs at a time, but WoW gives me enough to do. Stupid Game.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 6:31PM mrfusspot said

Guild Wars, definitely. I was an adamant WoW fan when a couple of friends started playing Guild Wars and tried to get me into it. I was really skeptical, but gave it a shot (after some pestering - from both me and them), and fell in love with it pretty quickly.
So much in love, in fact, that I was the first of those friends to get all the other campaigns, the expansion pack, the bonus mission pack...

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:10AM limskmy said

I have to say it was WOW. As a longtime gamer (been gaming since the mid 1980s) I had gotten used to the way real MMO games were supposed to be like: you grind your way to success and everytime your character dies more of your hair turns white.

To my gaming buddies, I made unflattering comments about WOW's cheesy graphics being akin to a 3D Maple Story, sneered at the recycled Tolkien/GW fantasy stereotypes, and the supposedly casual-friendly design. Hey I am hardcore - hurt me, I like it! I picked up the game, figuring I would just play a few weeks and then pen a "So long suckers" post on the forums deriding its obviously flawed concept and design.

I can't say it grabbed me with the first login - it didn't. However it did grow on me over the weeks and I found more and more cool things in the game which led me to exclaim "why the hell hasnt somebody done it this way, its great!". That and Blizzard's continual polishing of the game - I wont say I liked all of the changes (rage normalization!), but most of them were positive ones that improved my gaming experience.

Those few weeks in December 2004 turned into the longest unbroken time I have ever played any game on any platform.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:43AM Solp said

WoW. Even when it first came out, I was playing Ragnarok Online, and everyone was saying how this dumbass Warcraft game had come out.... Yeah... I was playing in no time.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:24AM Jeromai said

City of Heroes for me, a long time ago.

I was convinced all MMOs were Everquest and MUD clones, been there, done that, got the raid-alike T-shirt.

And along comes this weird non-fantasy MMO that is about *doh* comic-book superheroes. Oh please, I hate all that 4-color spandex good/evil black & white nonsense, that's just daft and kiddy-ish to boot. Superman. Fantastic Four. Incredible Hulk. Pfft.

Then I got the urge to maybe try an MMO out of boredom and curiosity, surfed around and hey, this CoH's been out for four months or so and getting pretty solid rave reviews... Hmm... Oh what the heck, let's try it.

Somewhere in the first month, it hits me that a) CoH innovates and deviates from the standard loot-grind MMO, b) creating your own hero and costume lets me utilize a more personally appealing Modern Age dark knight vigilante look and concoct my own 'shades of grey' character background (come to think of it, I didn't mind Batman and I loved the X-Men as a kid) c) being an all-powerful superhero taps into childlike escapism far more adroitly than being a fantasy hero could, and d) all these colorful effects and explosions in group battle are awfully crazy fun.

The rest is history. Think I hit the 66 month vet award a while back.