Posted: Nov 9th 2010 7:09PM wagonfactor said

looks interesting. ffxiv pretty much killed any enthusiasm i have for any mmo. i know that dont make any sense, but my mmo career is over. have a BABY INC!!! so i seriously doubt ill be doing any mmo'ing any time soon. been about 2 months since ive played an mmo ... just dont feel that "need" to play one anymore. if you havent already, you should do an article on how parents handle their time with mmos. im curious to see what others have to say

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 7:09PM wagonfactor said

DOESNT make sense ... not dont. wtf :P

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 8:27AM Pewpdaddy said

I've got two "rugrats" and still manage a fair bit of time every week. The big hurdle for me was swallowing the fact that the people I play with typically have to make alts so we can play together. All in all I still get my game, Metroid the Other M is a must have if you have a Wii. ^-^ Good luck on the little one.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 7:12PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
"
carefully rationed dose of TERA information
"

Really Jef? Carefully rationed? Carefully rationed would be once a month, not once every 2-3 days for the past 4 months.

Anyway, I'll point out the painfully obvious once more, so those that missed it can catch up:

Greater than or equal to 250ms latency = unplayable in a game where you have to dodge in real time, aim in real time, and stay in constant motion. Have fun!

If the servers are hosted on the west coast, no-one on the east coast will have low enough latency to play this game in North America. Likewise, if the servers are hosted on the east coast, no-one on the west coast will have low enough latency to play this game in North America.

Try and find out where EM/BH is planning on hosting their "North American" servers. >:)
Enjoy!

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 7:41PM paterah said

"When we built the first Western servers for TERA, we selected a QA datacenter just a few miles from our offices in Seattle, which meant that European players who joined our Focus Group Tests were playing on servers over 5000 miles away. Based on the forum posts, polls, and informal surveys from those events, we didn't see lag problems."

Holy shit, europeans on NA servers and no lag?

Gogo En Masse :)

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 7:41PM Jef Reahard said

Well yeah, funnily enough these En Masse race/class updates and lore exclusives come once a month. Other than that, they release weekly screenshots and throw an occasional bone to gaming websites in the form of an interview or an exclusive (which is usually devoid of concrete gameplay info).

So yeah, carefully rationed is about right. I like hyperbole as much as the next guy, but new TERA info every 2-3 days? Nah, not even close, lol.

Maybe if you count the fansite translations of Korean info, but I don't, as much of that is inaccurate or incomplete.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 9:38PM Its Utakata stupid said

I think you have it ass backwards, r2d242. It's more the lack of information given out regulary by other triple A titles that makes Terra appear more frequent.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 10:43PM myr said

Someone doesn't know squat about networking.

FYI, it doesn't matter where your servers are located at. What matters is the type of pipe the datacenter they're in has running out to all the major ISPs, what backbones it travels through, and how many hops it has to take to reach the average enduser. That's a lot of what early beta is for, to identify any paths that might be causing bottlenecks, and making phone calls to get them ironed out.

I can be in NYC and connected to a server in LA, and get just about the same ping as someone in San Diego, if I'm running along a major backbone to get over there.

That said, QA datacenter location doesn't mean that's where they'll be for release. They will, however, likely use the same tunnels upon release.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 9:17PM Valdamar said

I wasn't really interested in TERA from the info released so far, but this race looks quite interesting (although the face could do with being a bit more reptilian).

Admittedly I'm a sucker for lizardman/dragon-derived races of all shapes and sizes, from lithe cunning ones like EverQuest's Iksar and Earthdawn's T'Skrang, up to big and nasty ones like Glorantha's Dragonewts and Warhammer's Dragon-Ogres - if it's scaly with sharp teeth, I'm probably interested in playing it ;)

So this is certainly a plus in TERA's favour from my perspective - Guild Wars 2 certainly doesn't have any playable lizards :(

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 9:24PM (Unverified) said

Correct me if I am wrong but 5000 Miles at the speed of light takes 0.027 secs or 270 milliseconds (which latency is usually measured in)

So wouldn't the best possible latency a European player (who is 5000 miles away) could get is 270ms? Even then there would be routing and data packaging time which would increase this further.

As an Australian player I rarely get close to 300ms in East Coast US based MMOs

I might be talking out my hat but that's my basic understanding.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 9:58PM Caerus said

• Half a heart
Fundamental math destroys yet another TERA fanboy defense!

Kudos

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 10:42PM Somnicide said

@Caerus: Its not a TERA fanboy defense, its an official statement. If they havent received complaints in FGTs, they havent received complaints. Clearly 250+ ping isnt that unplayable if there werent complaints from EUs about lag. And thats from a box in the Seattle office, not even the T1 servers the game will be on next testing phase/launch. And yet still, there are going to be European servers in Europe (as well as NA servers in the states). So why does it matter anyway? EUs dont have to play on US servers. Which defense was destroyed again?

And might I asked the first of the 'yet another' defenses destroyed by fundamental math? Or were you just talking out of your ass?

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 11:03PM myr said

You need to move that decimal over one more place. 5000 miles at the speed of light is about 27ms, not 270.

5000 miles divided by speed of light @ ~185,000 miles/second = 0.027 seconds. 1000 ms = 1s. Nice try though :)

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 6:30AM paterah said

@Caerus

Math is useless when the facts are there. When the testers say there is no lag then there is none, simple as that. Oh, his math is wrong btw. Don't push something you can't handle bro.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 10:43PM Somnicide said

Jeez. Seems like people hate on this game just to hate on it. As if they want this game to fail because they're pissed off that Aion sucked and they see trashing TERA as some way to get back at Aion. Lol.

Thats the only explanation I have for plethora of stupid comments on the game here at Massively that have no factual basis.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:04AM Nicks87 said

Keep playing WoW, haters.

I dont want to group with your sorry @$$es anyway.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 2:34AM Hurbster said

Now thats just damn childish.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 2:18PM Nicks87 said

@Hurbster

Why is my comment childish?

What is really childish is people trashing a video game before it's been released.

I played WoW for 3 years and lost interest because of the same type of immature speculative behavior. I dont want to play with "WoW Zombies" who live and die for a video game that really was never that good to begin with.

I had fun playing WoW but when it takes 5hrs for 25 people to get their s#$% together and complete a raid. Thats where I draw the line.

I have a job and a family for f#$%s sake.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 1:39PM Henthor said

oh my god people, this reminds me of the story say the vista7 is faster just because they made an OS for windows that appear quickly and then the rest of the features appear as the operator needs. better do a little google first and then responding personnel. TERA is not for me but I wish the best for them :)