Posted: Nov 9th 2010 1:45PM J Brad Hicks said

Wait a minute. Their big reveals from the issue 20 preview were a new warehouse tileset and 24-man public quests? That's what the whole top-secret issue 20 beta was about, public quests?

And is there anybody, anybody at all, anywhere in the world, who has ever played City of Heroes for longer than a single evening, and then said, "You know what? It's a nice game, but I wish we spent more time inside warehouses"? Of all the things to have the art department work on, they didn't have them make malls, or apartment buildings, or private residences, or factories, or military bases, or anything else, they just had them make /more warehouses/?

Okay, that pretty well settles it: I am officially giving up all hope for City of Heroes, the game is done. Melissa Bianco is one heck of a writer, but I have no idea what in the heck she's thinking as a producer. I haven't been this disappointed in an announced game "upgrade" since Reakktor announced Neocron 2: Beyond the Dome of York.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 2:45PM Meagen said

It does kind of sound a bit like being told "you're getting a wad of $100 bills and a stick of gum"... but then, if you were told you're getting a wad of $100 bills and a stick of gum, what kind of person would complain about the stick of gum?

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 2:55PM Brianna Royce said

@Meagen: Our readers. :D

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 4:01PM Its Utakata stupid said

I must admit...I like some of Brad's suggestions. I should point out though, they do have factories and military bases along with warehouses....but shopping malls, appartment buildings and private residences would be a really nice touch. And new factory and miltary base maps would be good too.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 2:36AM J Brad Hicks said

Not a fair comparison, because I can't imagine anybody who thinks that adding 24-man public quests for uber loot to an MMO in 2011 is a revolutionary feature. Or even a significant one. Heck, other than the "for uber loot" part, it isn't even a new feature in City of Heroes, and I have the Rikti mothership badges on my CoH main character to prove it.

I just bring up both because even as underwhelming as that announcement is (and as mind-boggling that they thought they needed a super-secret signed-NDA special closed beta test to keep people from finding out about!), the new warehouse tileset is even more amazingly dumb.

Look, I get that this is a seven or eight year old game engine. I get that their art budget is limited because they're down below 100k subscriptions and falling. I get that the combination of those two factors means that adding any environmental art to the game, at all, takes an act of Congress and blows the budget for the whole year. But given those constraints, Bianco thought that the smartest use of her art department budget was /another warehouse?/ People asked for space station and moon base interiors, they asked for more kinds of civilian buildings like residences and malls, they asked to see the Rikti homeworld, they asked to see Nemesis' steampunk bases -- NOBODY asked to see yet more kinds of warehouses. This is the single dumbest expenditure of a tightly restricted art budget I have ever heard of.

Even dumber than making a big publicity deal out of taking a feature your game has in one zone, copying it to another couple of zones, sticking uber loot on it, charging a special fee for access to the uber loot from those public quests. And that, honestly, is saying something.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 2:43PM CitizenH said

There will be a new interface introduced in issue 20 to streamline the process of getting players into warehouses and methodically clearing scores of identical enemies.

If you are anywhere else in the world besides a warehouse, every 120 seconds a popup window will ask you "Why aren't you in a warehouse right now" and present you with two buttons: 'Teleport Me to the Nearest Warehouse' and 'Ask Me Again in a Minute'.

Also, all stores, mission contacts and trainers will be relocated to a central warehouse to aid in player convenience.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 5:07PM Luk said

So funny it cracked me up. After trying CO again last week, I can say only one thing, even COH warehouse map is less annoying than CO's noisy tutorial zone.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 5:48PM Eliot Lefebvre said

Of course, this facilitates the addition of Warehouse Mastery as a new powerset.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 5:19PM Superfan said

Ok I really hope there is more to i20. There has to be.

Have to say getting a warehouse as the new map is beyond pathetic. Just stupid, really. I guess Bianco is maintaining the City of Repetition theme here.

Honestly, this is a superhero MMO yet a majority of our missions are in caves, offices and warehouses. Yup. For real. They didn't add any exotic villain lair or wild alien planet or cool looking environment. We got a new warehouse.

Oh, How much you want to bet the new missions will continue to be the same old map/tilesets, villain locations, appearance and objective as we've always had?! The only difference will be the dialogue.

Ugh. This is dire news. Unless there is a lot more to i20 ...I may have to rid myself of this game. I am already playing way less and that is out of boredom.

Yes, the product is old and stale. DCUO might be the way to go. I really hope it can deliver.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 5:57PM (Unverified) said

Well, it is a 'sneak peak' at I-20, not an announcement of I-20. Heck, we're still just shy of having I-19.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 5:33PM Maraq said

a new warehouse map is not a sexy sounding or impressive add on to a game to be honest, granted. But it doesn't really sound like the focus of the update either or major part of it. Its a sidenote. I hope i haven't mortally offended the team that worked on the new map, but a single new map/tileset is hardly a big push for the game. Couple it with some new task forces, auras, changes to the Fitness pool, the Incarnate system and other lesser changes (http://eu.cityofheroes.com/en/news/game_updates/C893) and it all adds up to a respectable package of game enhancements. Not groundbreaking, true, but respectable.

Could the devs do a bit more to power up enthusiasm for the game? Yes. Personally, i think now that everyone can afford their own bases, they could put a rocket up the communities proverbial backside by bringing back bases raiding and allowing adhoc teams of friends, not necessarily guildmembers to form teams and raid each others bases.

But is the latest game update a proverbial niagara falls of dissapointment? I think thats a little unfair and overly dramatic.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 9:12PM Sam not Spam said

I think the devs (or at least marketing) need to watch player expectations carefully. I'd much rather them under-promise and over deliver simply because many players will *naturally* assume more and bigger and better than actually promised.

Also, given that i20 is two issues away, I'm surprise they're even showing us anything at all! After all, Paragon said the i20 closed beta was going to require a signed NDA - you don't do signed NDA's over this little bit. And the reason given was there'd be new systems. There is likely more if you go by that, but at the same time I can understand them not wanting to tip their hand just yet.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 12:37AM Decados said

Anyone who thinks this will be it for issue 20 is absolutely brain dead. Yes.. Paragon studios would have people sign an NDA for _just_ a warehouse tile set.

*to those commenters of such feeble mind* here's your sign

Posted: Nov 12th 2010 11:25AM Zamuel said

Pretty sure that not only is this merely a taste and there's much more in store but also some people are looking at it wrong. My assumption is that it's a bit of a joking tease that since warehouses are so heavily complained about, updating them makes sense. It really comes down to how it's handled. The countless warehouse are among the first things new players in Paragon City and the Rogue Isles see so it is good to freshen them and mix them up. At the same time, I agree that we need numerous kinds of other maps like malls, space station, etc.

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance