Posted: Nov 9th 2010 12:48PM (Unverified) said

Not anaother one...what is this like the 3rd mmo player documentary in so many years?

Yes look at the mmo player
They are such social misfits
Ooo look the perfunctionary hot girl who is really a nerd
and there is they guy who lost his job/wife/dog due to mmos

The drama
the joy

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 1:05PM Space Cobra said

I have to agree with this comment.

What is it with these folks? Are they getting a film-grant or paid so they use it to play more games and get paid?

If, like you say Jef, that game playing is getting more wide-spread than it was before (and it is), who are these movies supposed to be targeted to? The old "Baby Boomer" generation?

While there may be an audience besides that, even parents of new generations are exposed to it soon enough and learn what an MMO is, if their kid(s) game.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 1:14PM (Unverified) said

I agree…. this is getting old.

Someone needs to do one on; how MMOS are made and ran. The development, art and QA teams. The data-centers and operations that go behind running on of these.

Also what it is; what is a RAID, DPS, RP’ing. The passion of the players and the developers. Show some of the “cons” and how folks of all walks of life get together in these virtual worlds to have some fun.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 3:39PM TheJackman said

Agree this is getting really old.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 9:45PM Nepentheia said

Hahahaha! Oh man, your commentary is perfectly spot on! And thanks for a great laugh--yeah, you're absolutely right, the same-ol' theme-for-a-documentary-about-MMOs is getting really tiresome.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 12:53PM (Unverified) said

MMOs are changing so much.

I think in 10 years or more, the typical MMO player will NOT be very simliar to typical MMO player now.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 7:59PM Rayko said

If you had said this 10 years ago you would have been right. MMOs started out targeting pen and paper role-players and have turned toward main stream video gamers. That's why you have articles on this site asking stuff like " Is lore important ? " and people who's first mmo was wow shouting variants of " RP sucks " in general chat.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 1:26PM shipwreck said

I hope it's less depressing than Second Skin.

Yikes.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 1:24PM rhorle said

Based on that trailer this seems to be more of an insult to the average gamer rather then a documetary looking into gamers. It seems to want to show to the world that gamers are losers and degenerates in other worlds filling the sterotype that people attribute to gamers.

Instead of showing what gamers are really like, people like anyone else that enjoy playing games. The person that lost their job because they played WoW and hasn't found a new one because they still play WoW has Issues beyond being a gamer.

With just the trailer I fail to see how the filmaker its trying to change how the world sees Gamers. The trailer just shows how he is reinforcing how the world see's us by highlighting the bad cases.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 1:28PM yeppers said

Second Skin is a worthwhile watch IMO. If nothing else, let it serve as a cautionary film on how much is too much.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 1:42PM Valdur said

Agreed with most previous posters.
1.I would like to see a documentary on MMO where the journalist ask real questions to dev about why their game failed or why they succeeded?

2. Show mmo gamers who doesn't look like a 5150 call.

Honestly,I don't identify myself or any of my real life friends to the people I saw in this trailer.

The same thing with The Raid trailer,the three players are shown as solitary in a low lighted room.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 2:14PM (Unverified) said

This isn't a new documentry. I watched about two months ago on DOC. A bit late.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 2:38PM Qehb said

There's going to be SOOOoooooo many new players coming into MMO's when this airs!!

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 3:20PM (Unverified) said

Gawd, not another one of these. I know the looser mmo geek makes good film I guess. But enough of these. There are a few of us out here that play mmo's, and maintain a "normal" life. These "documentaries" are getting old.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 4:35PM (Unverified) said

Anyone know where I can watch this in the UK?

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 5:23PM Skyydragonn said

Just the trailer makes me want to punch this guy in the face repeatedly.
Just once I'de like to see someone do a mass media story on the positives of MMO gaming.
The social interactions, freinedships, the exhiliration of working with a group of people to create strategies/tactics to overcome the obstacles provided by the game. Why must it always be about lost jobs, broken relationships, ruined lives?

Oh thats right becuase THAT sells movie tickets/DVD boxes. -.-

Before i stopped playing WoW (5 year vet) I had a very close collection of buddies, roughly 50+ people who i conversed with about hundreds of dirrect topics, felt sadness when something bad happened in thier lives, expressed joy at Thier childrens births, work promotions, marriages etc etc..In short WoW was like hanging out at the bar with friends after a hard day at work. You'd think that after so many years of "gaming" in general that someone somewhere would step up and begin disproving the medias villianization of gamers and thier chosen hobbies/lifestyles.
There are failures in every walk of life (i see hundreds a day at my job) Why are they not ridiculed, berated, embarrased publicly over and over again, every time someone involved in the same bad behavior does something stupid?
I don't see a movie being made everytime a Junkie overdoses on drugs. Or an alcoholic kills a family of four while driving drunk.
Stories like this infuriate me to no end.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 8:57PM Valdur said

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 7:58PM AfrikanDarkness said

I remember watching this a couple months back and it was really good.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 7:00AM Graill440 said

Isnt it wonderful that when "famous" names suddenly throw their names in the mix games are suddenly no longer part of a subculture and are "mainstream"................thingies.

Pathetic.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM