Posted: Nov 8th 2010 3:31PM real65rcncom said

"Lost Pages of Taborea: Spam heal is the enemy of strategy"

It's also the enemy of strategy in FFXIV right now, which is all the magic classes (Conjurer and Thaumaturge) do in game to level.

They just target the nearest guy in a pack and hit AoE heal macro and get skillup points. Over and over with no thought OR with any mob aggro.

These games are doing this more frequently. Used to be when you hit AoE heal, you got crazy mob aggro for like.. the rest of the fight that tanks had to work to keep off you.

Now it's little aggro to begin with, but tanks can just "Taunt" once and all's good.

Posted: Nov 8th 2010 3:59PM EngadgetSoFunny said

Agreed, playing a conjurer, I can quite honestly agree that it is extremelllly borrrringggg playing FFXIV. I literately hit '2' for cure then enter and that's all I do during an entire fight. I don't even need ot use Cure II and shouldn't as its more costly MP wise and less chances to skill up. Its like casting Cure II once every 10s or Cure I every 5s is the only 'strategy' choice you need to make which isn't even a strategy!!

2...enter...2....enter...2....enter...2....enter...2...enter where each do represents a 1s pause.

Posted: Nov 8th 2010 4:01PM EngadgetSoFunny said

I would just like to add I bought the CE addition of AoC when it first came out and I would still honestly say FFXIV is the worse launch I have ever experienced and worst game I have ever played. It lacks any kind of excitement, joyment or fun. They extended the free trial for 60 days but I quit around the 33rd day. It wasn't even worth playing if it was free because its just not fun.

I went and played Dead Rising 2 instead and had a far far more enjoyable time.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 9:15AM Crestfallen said

Actually nerf crazed development teams are the enemy of strategy. Teams that discover a player using their abilities to the fullest extent possible and decide the practice should be punished are the enemies of strategy.

Snare Kiting, Charm Kiting, Fear kiting, Root-rotting, Stun tanking all are strategies that were discovered by players and then made impossible by artificial and unrealistic mechanics because someone cried foul.

A distinct lack of thoughtful challenges placed in combat, no attempt at physics based puzzles being integrated into battles, developers that refuse to innovate the genre or even smartly incorporate traits that make offline adventure, rpg, and shooter games successful are the enemies of strategy.

So there you have it, politics and laziness are the real enemies of strategy in the modern MMO.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 5:39PM jeremys said

Some strategy and puzzle gameplay exists in RoM. The low-level Arcane Chamber of Sathkur has you follow a memorized sequence of torch lighting that reminds me of simon says.

I think there's still room for learning strategy in RoM. Both instances and especially Siege War can benefit from group coordinating and individual strategies.

As far as RoM's bloated man bars, I think a tweaked version of the percentage modifier is a good way to go. A lot of players had terrific suggestions, but I feel Runewaker's answer did it all. It confronted the problem and offered a solution for everyone and probably within one of the few ways they possibly could code it into the game.

I probably won't have too many friends for being an avid supporter of what Runewaker tried to do, but I stand firmly on it and think it is the much better route to go down. The other ways seem to take the game down that other road I mentioned to an overly simplistic game with not much thought except to make the same mobs easier/harder or just add or decrease a cost on some spells.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 7:07PM (Unverified) said

You seem to be convinced that adding a % mana cost would make instances more complex and change them from their current state. That is only true of healers. If there were a viable way to mitigate damage instead of just plowing through it, i would agree with you. After the passive stats were added to gear, healers doubled their heals overnight. The heals are very high, and group heal is the easiest and best way to do most boss fights. I think adding a percentage cost to certain overused and overpowered skills, like group heal, would bring them into line and help change the button mashing on bosses. As for adding complexity to instances, making healing more difficult still doesn't stop the "burn it before we need a strategy", or "use holy candle shield to block 200k hit that would normally be mitigated by strategy" mentality that makes RoM bosses and instance so vanilla. Raksha Temple gives me hope that Runewaker can still design fun endgame content, as group heal spam and the usual tactics actually get groups killed. Getting rid of holy candle shield would definitely help as well. I await the next 12 man with open arms, hoping for more bosses like 6th boss in Raksha Temple (a giant tree who summons healing adds, has 2 unkillable mana/focus/energy/rage draining adds, a 10 minute rage time, effectively uses debuffs to weaken the group and remove his invulnerability, and bans the use of items like mana pots). Percentage mana on group heal would be a great improvement to the priest population in terms of enjoyment, but without significant changes to instances it would hardly solve all the problems. Maybe make a scout's "Shot" take focus, instead of having their most powerful skill cost nothing but some free arrows from the rune catapult.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 8:08PM jeremys said

@giantchicken - I agree completely. Adding the % mana modifier would improve healers, but I think it would improve all classes. It wouldn't be an instant fix for instances or anything. Continued good game design and balancing would continue to be needed. What I think it does though, is it sets the game down a very different road than what current implementations are doing.

I don't think any of it is terribly bad. But just doing a larger than average class balance to fix the problem with challenge in RoM won't change anything. Throwing in a new boss with all the same mechanics, but simply tougher to kill won't dramatically do anything for RoM. All it will do is make a mob, player, or boss harder to kill. In a way, I view it as a band-aid being placed on a wound that calls for surgery.