Posted: Nov 7th 2010 7:47PM Ergonomic Cat said

Did you know that there's a limit to total number of characters per account in WoW, regardless of servers? Did you know that it's 55? I do.

I've only filled up 6 servers in CoH, though. I've got a fair number left!

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 8:13PM CricketB said

Three weeks ago my answer would have been 8, because my main MMO was WoW and my completionist attitude compels me to try ALL the classes (except Druid, which I am keeping open for the Worgen after the cataclysm). I like playing through quests and following a storyline more than what is widely considered the crux of WoW - the raiding endgame, so it's probably not a surprise that my fifth character is going to be 80 soon, but most of them are still lounging about in green and blue quest reward items.

Now, a couple weeks back I got back into Guild Wars thanks to, I think, the Hall of Monuments calculator. I realized how much there was still for me to do in that game, the dungeons I'd never seen and the storyline that, on repeat, is a lot tighter than WoW's. On GW I have two accounts, one with 14 full character slots, all lvl 20, and one with 8 character slots, stuck at various points in their storylines for time management reasons.

Posted: Nov 8th 2010 12:17PM (Unverified) said

I have yet to see a game that allows you to develop two characters simultaneously.

As far as I know, games using the standard solution has you log into your account, pick a single character, and then advance that one character by grinding enemies to death. EVE is the same, except the grind is passive and continues even after you've logged out.

If you want to in EVE, you can pause training, log onto another character, and start a skill there - just like you in WOW could stop grinding with your main and switch to playing on a different character. Both methods stops your main from gaining experience, both methods allows you to develop additional characters.

The thing about EVE is that there are very few advantages to developing a same-account alt, because everything you can train on those characters you can train on your main - faster - so you either focus on one character and enjoy being effective at a lot of stuff, or split training between characters and throw away months of training time.

Posted: Nov 8th 2010 5:20PM rochrist said

I've got 40+ alts on CoH, maybe another 12 on LOTR.

I try and get around to all of them eventually, although some get more love than others.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 3:51AM (Unverified) said

I play one main and have alts. Alts are for playing through the game. There is a divide between casual toon vs hardcore toon.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 2:53PM Valdamar said

I like variety, so while I always have 1 main character that pushes to the level cap (for the endgame and just to see the high level content) I usually have several lower level alts as well. Just listing MMOs I've played for at least 6 months:

EQ1: 1 main* + 6 alts + 1 alt-relegated-to-mule-status
DAoC: 1 main + 6 alts (main+3 alts in Mid; 2 Alb + 1 Hib on other servers)
EQ2: 1 main + 2 alts (created to experience other city & betrayal quest)
WoW: 1 main + 5 alts + 2 mules (levelled only to be crafting/bank mules)
Planetside: 1 main + 1 alt (had all the aircraft certs /grin)
CoH: no main + 30ish alts (and counting) **

* Maybe that should be 3 mains + 5 alts, as I changed main character twice due to raiding needs in my guild and relegated my old mains to alt status - though as I dual-boxed eventually and took rogue+druid on endgame raids, and used my warrior+monk on sub-L53 old school raids (with the monk being the only one of those that was never my single main character) maybe I had 4 mains + 4 alts.

** Eighteen of them were mains at some point, until they hit the level cap, then I started a new main - I still play some of them (3 in particular), but not really enough to call any one of them a main character. City of Heroes is casual enough that you don't need a main character and you come to know other players more by their global handle than what character they're currently playing, which I prefer.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 3:51PM Terical said

I usually have more than one character if they have only one job (on separate accounts to level each other at the same time, once they have reached level sharing range. Free to Play accounts only). If the character can switch to numerous jobs then one character it is, unless I'm having inventory issues and it doesn't cost an extra dollar plus a month along with the initial monthly fee.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 10:45AM Avernus said

I guess I vary a lot. In some games just one or two. In AoC i had two characters and tank and a glass cannon. In WAR a Tank and a healer. In CoH I had ultimately about 14 level 50s. In CO 4 near max.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014