Posted: Nov 7th 2010 9:56AM Carolina said

My main is a healer priest (sometimes I go holy, sometimes disc) in WoW. And then she has her alt spec, shadow. And then comes all my alts. But for raiding, when I do, I just focus on the priest.

The thing about alts, to me, is that they belong to the first part of the game, which is to quest and level and discover what new powers we get. End game is, most of the times, another game. So I end up having alts that reach 80 but never do the "end game stuff", they are there just because I enjoy leveling characters.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 10:02AM Bhagpuss said

Dozens. Many dozens.

When EQ was my primary MMO I played on something like eight or nine servers concurrently. I had easily 40 characters that I was actively working on at any given time. Most days I would play half a dozen characters for an hour or so each, not following any given plan but just changing at a whim. I never had a "Main" and indeed I have rarely had what I would call a "Main" in any MMO since.

I've followed much that pattern ever since. If I stay with any MMO for more than a few weeks I'll usually fill all the character slots I'm given on the first server I start on. If I play for a few months I'll expand onto other servers as well.

Taking EQ2X as an example, it began in September and I already have four active characters and I am about to start a fifth. And of course I already have more than a dozen active characters on EQ2Live.

Since I hugely prefer the low-level gameplay of pretty much every MMO I've ever played and tend to consider a character "retired" on reaching max level, I anticipate having an endless series of alts for now and evermore.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 7:59PM (Unverified) said

I don't feel like a freak anymore. Thank you. I'm having a hard time deciding which of my 50 WoW characters to delete so I can see the Worgen and Goblin starting areas.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 10:05AM ChongShin said

Good question.

I typically have one alt (rarely two at most) and I'll primarily stick to my main. The alt is just something that I twink to go through dungeons that I may have missed due to a lack of groups (or anyone wanting to group). That, or it's to take a break from casting dot / snare / pet / dot / whatever.

However, I generally avoid a large amount of alts because, perhaps ironically, MMOs have no replayability. The experience is identical between characters, often with identical "quests" in each area with barely a name changed in the "kill 10" text.

Bottom line? Alts in MMOs are too boring to spend much time on.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 10:11AM archer75 said

All I have is alts. I don't consider myself as having a main as I switch based upon how I feel on a given day. Not just alts but MMOs as well.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 10:18AM Dumac said

Ill usually make as many characters as the game allows, to try most classes at least once. Though on average only 2 or 3 of those become "functional" alts that i actually play.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 10:23AM Skyydragonn said

When I was playing WoW..
My Main was a warrior named Linganu(Tauren)

The 4 Alts i played were;
Priest named Pharmacy(undead)
Mage named Naban(undead)
Death Knight named Aron(undead)
Rouge named Assamite(undead)

The priest and Deathknight were level capped and geared for raid content. The rogue and mage were used for lvl 70 PvP prior to Lich king coming out, when that expansion went live I leveled up a death knight (naturally) and followed with the priest.

Sometime I lament the amount of time invested in those toons that are no longer being played since i Quit about 3 months ago.
Right now I play Need for Speed; World mostly and beta test a few other games

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 10:24AM Joshua Przygocki said

Sitting around in WAR till Rift comes out.

Got my Zealot sitting at 32(had an account with some 40s but felt like starting over...) and a Sorceress I've been working on leveling solely through RvR sitting at 20.

Also got like 10 Rank 1s waiting for a rainy day and some 7-9s I have been playing on and off.

In Age of Conan as soon as I hit 50 on my main(PoM) I made a Demonologist with my free 50... Now my Demo is sitting at 75 and my PoM is still at 50. Regret not making a Tempest instead though...

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 10:27AM Jeromai said

Primary MMO? "Main game" account? Lol, whatever are those?

City of Heroes: 21/21 on Virtue. 3 "mains" - one villain, two heroes at max level. 3-5 more were in the midst of leveling past the 30s, a new pair were created to explore Praetoria, now just shy of the 20s. 12/12 on Freedom, 2 "mains" - one villain, one hero at max level, a couple leveling alts stillborn, mostly ignored since I switched servers. There are no doubt a bunch more baby alts on the other servers too made over five years of costume/powers/server experiments.

Guild Wars: 8/9 slots filled. I should get around to filling the last if only for the birthday presents. 3 "mains" - one from Tyria, Cantha and Elona respectively. I have an attachment to the oldest Tyrian one for sentimental reasons, and the newest Elonan one for sheer power reasons.

LOTRO: 4/5 slots on main server filled. 1 "main" guardian in the 55s, 3 other leveling alts in the twenties. Three other alt servers are also about 4/5 and 5/5 full of baby alts in the teens, while trying out the feel of different classes and server populations. I was in the middle of leveling a new runekeeper on an alt server before Hall of Monuments shoved me out of the F2P game and into a GW obsession.

I am the very model of altholic and attention-deficit. :)

Ironically, it is in MMOs that I don't think I will spend very long in, that I stick to one character. I stuck to one main in Age of Conan, WAR, and Aion for the most part, though there were class-tryout alts that never got past the teens too.

Otherwise, it's more fun for me to change up playstyles in an MMO by switching classes and level ranges every so often so it stays new and fresh. I'll settle on 2-3 "mains" and leave the rest as mule-type alts.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 11:11AM pcgneurotic said

Dozens. I've never had an mmog character at the level cap since original EQ, because I spend so much time on alts.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 11:14AM (Unverified) said

LOL too many to count.

I have 3 accounts in CoH! And, that is just one of the games I play.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 12:13PM (Unverified) said

Here's something that annoys me with Massively. There are pictures in the article that when clicked, take you to the very same article you're reading. I wanted to know what that shot up top was from, and can't figure it out.

Really, any other website I know of, when you see a picture and click it, it either shows a bigger version of it, or links you to the site it's from or that it's describing.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 12:07AM (Unverified) said

Finally figured out that it's Age of Conan.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 12:25PM Hothnogg said

On WAR i had 1 main character to 40, and 7 alts up to 20 :) just loved pvp in tier one and tier 2 :) but i couldnt stop there. I also then went did same on 3 more servers up to lvl 20, so total is 1 main, ,31 alts :)

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 3:01PM Runewastaken said

Wow that is a lot of characters...

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 12:53PM cray said

I don't see having multiple characters as "alts", I usually create characters I have every intention of playing to fullest potential. It's a matter of balancing between characters. Furthermore I don't like to even consider having a "main" as it leads to poor game play and reliance on one class (profession). Best players in the game are those who are proficient in all roles. In order to do that you need multiple characters.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 1:00PM Tyrannicide said

I am one of those that has to play almost all of the classes to find which one I enjoy the most. So I usually play through the first ten to twenty levels with a variety of different characters trying to find the one that fits my play style which can change depending on my mood. I'll usually gravitate to one or two mains after I've played all of the different character classes that interest me.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 3:00PM Runewastaken said

Well here is a list of my main characters and alts http://rlgamer.com/ViewGamer.aspx?View=Rune

I play my WoW druid primarily (all my friends are on wow) and have leveled a few more to 80 out of boredom. I also have a few characters on EQ Live and I always find my self going back to them every once in a while.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 3:20PM Shazzie said

I tend to have main characters, not A main character. Sure, I start with the first one that clicks, maybe get her to max before I branch off with others. But, after a while, I'm trying other classes out, and I might fall in love with one of them, too. And then that one gets promoted to main status- along with my original. The last game (where multiple characters are allowed, *shakes fist at SWG*) where I had one and only one main was way back in EQ1. DAoC, AO, DDO, WoW, WAR... all had multiple mains.

I currently have 3 mains in LotRO- a Champion (my first), a Warden, and a Burglar. I have a Captain and a Loremaster in the wings who I consider alts, they're not quite the 'loves' that my mains are. I then have a couple storage mules...but I never consider mules to be alts. Alts get played. Mules hang out at the bank.
In CoH, I don't even think I HAVE a main. I just have a long list of characters, with a more concentrated list of 'currently played characters'.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 4:41PM (Unverified) said

Anyone remember Kahmos's friendly and free leveling service back in the Jobe starting area within Anarchy Online? I know I do, everyday at 8oclock I was set to grind you to level 60 within a couple hours!

I believe I was on Kahmos50's something, thats 50+ alts just for other people