Posted: Nov 6th 2010 1:11PM Pingles said

The reason F2Ps became such a popular phenomenon was because they boldly gave the entire game away for free and then provided premium items/services that were desirable but not necessary.

The Subscription games are trying to grab some F2P marketshare but by giving a portion of their game for free.

It is successful now because of the reputation these subscription games have but over time as more people get comfortable with the cash shop model I think players will start migrating again to the original F2P gaming model games that do not try to parcel out portions of their game (such as the complete classes) for cash.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 1:23PM timthel0rd said

It's a free trial. Nothing more.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 3:12PM swarmofcats said

• 1 heart
Yeah, compare this to a true FTP like LOTRO where you can get 100% of the content without paying a single dollar. This seems more like WAR's endless trial, small amount of content until you quit playing or subscribe.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 3:18PM dudemanjac said

One that let's you play through pretty much the entire game with a character that will be missing little more than a couple of extra powers...

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 3:26PM swarmofcats said

• 1 heart
Right it's not like powers are important in a superhero game or anything.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 3:32PM alucard3000 said

They already have a free trial you can play to lvl 15 endlessly so if anything its an advancement on the free trial.I will at least be able to play the chars I have now that I stopped subbing w/o paying the sub fee til I get tired of it w/o throwing down $15 then get bored in a week same deal with LOTRO.So I am glad they are doing it.
And to the true FTP of LOTRO comment have fun grinding out all those TP to be able to play 100% the game gets boring enough doing the stuff you need for tp one time let alone repeatedly.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 3:40PM swarmofcats said

• 1 heart
Does not change the fact LOTRO is free and this is a severely gimped trial.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 5:00PM dudemanjac said

Well it's not Cyclops's job to keep enemies incapacitated with his wind powers...

Having actually played the game I can say that being short a couple of powers is hardly a game breaker. Like they said it gives you the ability to fill more roles.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 5:46PM alucard3000 said

Sorry I dont consider a timesink free and call CO what you want it doesnt matter to me I'll probably spend more time in it than I ever did or will in LOTRO.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 1:30PM dudemanjac said

I'll be interested to see wha these archtypes are. I have lifetime, so it doesn't really matter.But it will be nice to see an influx of players.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 2:46PM Faryon said

This archetype system seems pretty good at first glance, let's just hope the archetypes comes with good powers and superstats.. Though it wouldnt really surprise me if the archetypes totally suck compared to free-form speccs.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 3:11PM DevilSei said

I doubt they really care if the classes suck (thats what these are, lets get rid of the fancy archetype crap). Its the F2P part of the game, you aren't paying them so why should they do anything for you?

That's the general consensus I've sensed off Cryptic at least.
There was other ways to have handled this better. They could of offered only 1 character slot to F2P players, but allowed them access to customize and build it like normal. Newer powers would have to be bought, but turn free down the road. Same with new content (I hate to say, this game is horribly limited in that department as is last time I checked).

This game was horrible as P2P, failed to compete with its elder (and only) game in the genre, was about to be pincered by a huge-named backed game, so who knows. Maybe it'll be somewhat slightly decent as F2P goes.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 3:02PM (Unverified) said

Frankly, the archetype system has single-handedly taken me from interested and curious about CO going F2P to 'meh, maybe I'll try it if I get bored'. Which I doubt is precisely the attitude Cryptic was trying to inculcate in me.

I have to figure that there are other pieces of the game that they can clip and sell in the cash store other than THE BEATING HEART OF THE ENTIRE GAME, neh?

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 4:25PM (Unverified) said

Did they improve anything in that game so that the people who cancelled during their free month may stay if they'd give the game a 2nd try?

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 1:58AM UnSub said

Apparently the early content is being revamped and patches since launch / updates have improved ChampO overall.

It'll be free to try out the changes and see if you like them or not.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 5:19PM Dblade said

The framework doesn't seem too bad. It's a few less powers. You actually get more powers than you can make use of in CO, so it's not as a big a deal as you think. Towards 40 I picked junk powers unless I was making a PvP build because there's only so many click defenses and dd powers you need, and can use in normal leveling.

However it's not the number of powers, it's what each archetype contains. Until they release specifics, I wouldn't worry too much.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 11:38PM timthel0rd said

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I don't expect them to give the whole game away for free, and at least they aren't hiding the fact you don't get everything.

But it's not true F2P (or even cashshop free to play). It's runescape style free to play.

No matter how good you play, you won't have as much as the paying customers.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 12:05AM Sam not Spam said

I'd say the trick with the archtypes is it can help players learn the game instead of getting lost (and gimped) in the free-form mode. If the free-play is considered a trial, then this is a good idea. There's a reason free-form character creation isn't more common than class based creation - classes, archtypes, etc., provide a safety net for players and give the developers a ballpark idea of what the players can handle. Certainly, I'd go for it even as a subscriber - I really sucked at making CO characters.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 8:50AM Arcadian said

Archetypes only work if the various sets are balanced.

They're not.

Take pity on the Telepathy hero who won't be able to survive three henchmen, let alone be able to even contribute to downing a SV.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 2:38PM blakerefuge said

Archetypes are not going to stick to one single power framework. There wont be a pure Telepathy Archetype, or pure Unarmed Martial Arts Archetype. They're drawing from all of the power sets, building on a single theme, each inspired by popular comic heroes.

Also, the F2P model gives Silver players all content in the entire game for free, including Revelation, the Nemesis system, and minus only the two Adventure Packs. Limiting free players to "classes" is a smart way to give incentive to subscribing, but still really fair to people who would rather not spend a single dime. You get what you pay for.

But hey, it's a Cryptic game, so let's ignore any forward progress they've made and just bash the game like total crybabies.

Swordsman launches today