Posted: Nov 5th 2010 10:21AM (Unverified) said

I'm sure there will be larger PvP sections than 8 v 8, I think it's just that this one is the easiest to show without any issues...more players more things which could go wrong so they probably elected to keep it simple for this release.

While I don't see anything to tell me that the PvP areas don't go up to 24 v 24 or above likewise I don't see anything telling me that they're limited to 8 v 8. Guess it's up to us to speculate which is what we're used to with this game.

I would speculate that they will have the option for larger battles ala Alterac Valley in WoW and smaller battles like Nordenwatch in WAR (12 v 12) or even smaller. But who knows, but to outright say that they won't have larger battles at this point is pure folly, we don't know.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 10:50AM Damn Dirty Ape said

What a great way to do crafting. I have to say, I'm impressed!

I was expecting something more traditional (i.e like WoW). You know, something like someone is a 'scavenger' and can get random parts out of junk piles that appear on the terrain. An engineer could use them to make weapons. A jedi might study to get and/or give 'force buffs' blah blah blah.

But this is entirely different and makes a lot of sense. It's certainly a lot better than a group of sith warriors sitting around a table sewing magical jedi robes.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 1:55AM mrdryden said

^ This. A thousand times this. I laughed out loud. I've also always found it more than a little disconcerting that mighty heroic warriors would found be sitting around doing the menial tasks exclusively reserved for serfs in a medieval society. Scholarly mage types I could maybe see gathering plants, engaging in alchemical experimentation and inscribing in books.

But in the pulp action universe of Star Wars it would just be more sith sitting around sewing robes. Just silly. This method is so much more appropriate! Give the crew orders, and supervise the results. While you are off doing the important work of saving the galaxy from tyranny. Or helping enforce that tyranny.

And I'm going to add my voice to others saying that these companions are going to be pets, things to help move the story forward. They're *not* going to be replacements for live people so you don't have to group. The idea that TPTB behind this game would so completely give the finger to the MMO scene as a whole when gods know how many millions of dollars is at stake is just silly.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 10:57AM starchildren3317 said

As far as the crafting goes - This is something that I am excited about! I really enjoy crafting in MMOs. I don't necessarily enjoy wandering zones collecting mats (that is just a waste) and I don't necessarily enjoy staring at a combine screen while it finishes. But I do enjoy making my own stuff. This is rather good news where we can send companions off to do the 'boring' parts of crafting! Can't wait to hear more.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:08AM (Unverified) said

I like the way Warzones are sounding... I never really enjoyed big group PvP but it sounds like the way they are implementing it could focus it pretty well into a team based operation.

Crafting I'm kind of worried about. I like gathering materials... I understand the whole heroic thing, a super cool adventurer not gonna bother picking flowers, but that just kinda makes me feel like a douche. Like I'm too good to Bioscan some dead beast but it's ok if my companion does? Sure it's convenient but I want to feel like I actually did something at the end.

Whenever I would make something really amazing in WoW I felt a big sense of accomplishment. My Flying Machine for example. I farmed all the materials, I went and looked myself for all those nodes. And for what little stuff I couldn't find I paid for with my own gold. Then I whipped it up and voila, something I worked on and was truly mine. Sure it may not be "heroic," but not everything has to be so bombastic. Is there not heroism in doing simple tasks for a good cause? Is that not part of a hero's journey? Is it heroic to shrug off manual labor on those following us?

This is assuming I can't do any of this myself. I read the DarthHater post and from what has been said it doesn't seem like it...

It may not seem huge right off the bat, but to me this seems just like a step in the heroic direction... But bordering on narcissism.

Posted: Nov 8th 2010 1:01AM (Unverified) said

Yes well your forgetting the crafting system in WoW is pretty boring and terrible. Everyone can make the same thing really the only difference from that Leatherworker to the other is if they have a certain pattern or not.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 12:50AM (Unverified) said

I never said it wasn't boring. And terrible is a stretch, of the in game crafting systems out there it is one of the better ones... I just said I enjoyed some facets of it.

And yea well, that's a smart way to balance the crafting system. Making available patterns the only difference in what was made.

If quality somehow changed between items, that wasn't random in nature, it would put most of the money in the hands of whoever could make the best. It makes sense. The only reason to buy a lesser version of an item was if you couldn't afford the top end. Now there's nothing wrong with that, but how you are able to reach the point where your product is better than everyone else's is what matters.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:15AM Greg W said

While I admit I haven't followed this game as fervently as others have, my only concern remaining for this game are the worlds themselves. Will they be truly epic and feel "connected" like the worlds of WoW or LotrO, or will they be claustrophobic strings of instanced cages with linear progression paths and maps that feel more like rail roads?

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:29AM Vegetta said

Typical news release for this game - Just reveal a few tidbits of actual information then leave a lot of room for speculation and theorycrafting.

Still, this tidbit is a lot more than we have got as of late. The crafting system sounds interesting..sort of reminds me of the side missions you could send units on in Final Fantasy Tactics for the GBA. (Which was a neat little system). Basically you would pick a task, assign a unit to it and after a bit of time the unit would report if it successfully completed the task or not.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:35AM Lateris said

This is really interesting news. Diplomacy could easily be one of the strongest traits for a story based game.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:44AM Valdamar said

Alderaan's Warzone PvP sounds like Titan Mode in Battlefield 2142 - except that you're only bombarding the other team's dropship/titan (in BF2142 you ultimately assault the other team's titan to blow it up from inside). Oh and of course Titan Mode was usually 16v16 - hardly massive even for an FPS, but more massive than 8v8 in the Alderaan PvP for SWTOR.

It's a shame that MMO PvP seems to be becoming less massive as the years go by (come back pre-ToA Dark Age of Camelot - all your sins are forgiven!). Maybe I'm just a paradox in that I prefer my PvE to be small-scale (i.e. grouping not raiding), but like my PvP to be epic in scale (i.e. battles rather than skirmishes).

Hopefully this instanced Alderaan Warzone was specifically developed as a small skirmish and isn't indicative of all SWTOR's Warzones. If Jedi and Sith are so common in the Old Republic (compared to the era of the original trilogy) then occasionally I want to see dozens upon dozens of player-controlled Jedi/Sith going at it with lightsabers - at least as many Jedi as the battle of Geonosis had in the new trilogy (i.e. the arena fight where Mace Windu fought Jango Fett).

If 7 years ago Planetside could handle 400 players fighting around the same base, while calculating all their bullet trajectories and momentum for vehicle movement too, how come most MMOs using a traditional WoW/EQ-style of more simplified combat (i.e. TAB-targeting+maths+auto-attack) can't handle bigger fights? Sure, there wasn't much character customisation in Planetside (i.e. less character/texture info to load when you see a new person joining the battle for the first time), but that can't be the only thing holding most MMOs back from having PvP that truly counts as "massively multiplayer".

Admittedly if PvP in SWTOR is more than just a tacked-on minigame, to play as an occasional diversion from the PvE, then I'll be pleasantly surprised - most PvE-focused MMOs don't usually have much Dev time to lavish on their PvP portion and it shows (which is why I usually get my PvP from FPSs/MMOFPSs, not from MMORPGs) - but it is encouraging that Bioware are actually thinking about how to make their PvP at least mesh well with their PvE side by giving it the same story focus and not just copying the same old "capture the flag" objectives from FPS games - it's important for PvP in MMOs to have a purpose - maybe they'll nail that aspect - but will they nail it well enough, and make combat fun enough, that you'll want to do each PvP warzone more than once? - I mean without the pressure of having to do it more than once for a PvP gear grind. Only time will tell.

Re: crafting I quite like the idea of dumping some of the drudge work onto NPC companions - admittedly I rarely enjoy crafting/gathering in MMOs - just let me make my own lightsaber or blaster from modular parts that drop as loot (like in KOTOR), and/or parts that are player-crafted and sold on the auction house - without having to craft-grind for months to get the skills to do it - and I'll be happy enough.

The diplomacy sounds interesting though - lets hope it doesn't just boil down to a minigame with collectible components that has little to do with the actual conversation, like in Vanguard.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:50AM Xavious said

The crafting sounds decent enough.

Anbilow, I understand your concern, I too also feel accomplished when I'm able to craft a rare item in MMOs. But, I think the idea here is to take the tedium out of crafting, i.e. kill 1000 bears and snakes then take their skin and teeth and stand at a forge and press enter and don't move till you make 500 shoes. The offline crafting style of FE was nice, also SWGs crafting was very good as well, you accuired the mats then you dumped them into a factory, afterwards you could do whatever you wanted.

As far as PvP, I have a feeling there will be more to it then battlegrounds style PvP. Maybe their lack of information is a good thing, maybe they are trying to get the system just right before they reveal anything. Or maybe we are in trouble and their vision for this MMO is completely shot. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think Bioware will see this as their reputation on the line and actually pull it off, as far as good releases are concerned. One thing I'm sure of though, this will not be released in spring 2011, I put my money on late summer or fall 2011.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 12:16PM (Unverified) said

Pretty awesome that they are letting the community vote on the new name for "Jedi Wizard" as well. Check it out!

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 12:40PM FireMark said

I was pretty exited to read this article, and then I read the last three words: Random Number Generator... *shudders* oh the horror...

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 5:59AM Ingrod said

That was Massively, not Bioware words. I read the info in Darth Hater and the explanation about the systam was much more accurate, and they dont talk a word about "randon number generator"

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 1:02PM Gaugamela said

To all the trolls that bash this game without even playing it: if you don't want a Bioware RPG online then GTFO.
This is what it will be. Don't expect sandboxes. Don't expect EVE Online in space merged with WoW on land and with voice-overs.

Expect it to be unique as it is shaping up to be.
The crafting system sounds great and its great that it has a Diplomacy option.
However, I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to Dragon Age Origins crafting system: the companions had crafting but the players also could develop it. I hope they try to make it like this because it would mesh great a more typical crafting system with this.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 1:13PM (Unverified) said

The crafting system sounds like a bit of RTS mechanics added in to the game. Resource management, but, instead of gold, stone, iron, etc., the resources are your companions: One companion to go adventuring with you, another to go gathering, another to craft, and still another to follow that treasure map you got in that hive of scum and villainy (in an RP sense, not a gameplay sense).

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:38PM x0fx3 said

I'm glad the companions will have more to do then just stand around in the ship. (Since you can't take them all with you on missions.) I rather have them do all my crafting while I'm engaged in the story arcs. Then again what does a Jedi need besides a lightsaber? (which is the only item I want to craft myself.) I guess my companions will need to craft all their armor and weapons haha while I'm meditating on being one with the force! :D

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 3:33PM (Unverified) said

I really like how companions are shaping up. In general, it seems like companions will reduce some of the "grind" that usually is found in an MMO. Instead of killing a thousand enemy A's to improve my relationship with ally B, I can send my companion on a diplomatic mission to improve my reputation. Instead of farming a thousand nodes for that one rare mineral, I can let my companions do it.

I dunno, I just think its really cool that we get a crew that actually does things

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014