Posted: Nov 5th 2010 5:45PM rfrancis said

Regarding female dwarves and the Tolkien observation: my wife for a long time played a dwarf character wearing a cosmetic item that looked, well, it was a dress, no question about it. So, there are ways and there are ways...

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:10PM (Unverified) said

I liked your article but I feel I must come to the defense of Dwarfs. LOTRO has the best dwarf character models of any MMO I have ever played. They move in a believable fashion. They are tough looking. Any armor in the game other then robes look great on them. They also have the best looking starting area in the game.

It is also worth mentioning that picking a race based on class travel skills would be a poor choice. You can gain any other races recall ability through rep and all of the races recall abilities take you to quick travel hugs which leave you one or two quick travels from most locations in the game.

Also this is just personal opinion but the elves in this game just look like six foot tall prepubescent boys which comes across as somewhat creepy.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:28PM DiscoJer said

While technically true, it's not exactly easy getting those reputation travel skills. You need to max out the reputation, which frankly, takes dozens of hours of work of sheer grinding to do, and you can only really do once you hit high levels to get the reputation drops to turn in.

Actually quicker to get a part time job and buy them from the store.

While you still need to grind for the racial skills, it's nowhere near as bad.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 6:57PM johnnliu said

Dwarf travel is great for tank classes that takes them back to Thorin's Gate - where the superior forge is.
This is necessary for armor-craftsmen to make higher tier equipment beyond tier 4 (level 40).

Oh and dwarfs are LOUD.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:15PM madcartoonist said

In other games I have chosen my raise for the bonuses that would help my class. In lotro I just picked what I wanted to look like. For my alts I tried to pick what would be less popular like having hobbits be more like tanks and the dwarf a minstrel.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:24PM DiscoJer said

It's been pointed out several times by Turbine that Dwarves in the game are either Male or Female, depending whatever the player wants. There is no gender selection for them either way, because they are indistinguishable.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:48PM (Unverified) said

nice breakdown, but i have to disagree with this:
"The quick map to Thorin's Hall isn't as useful as the other three racial maps "

i find the return to thorins gate dwarven skill is actually othe most useful racial travel skill in the game. I know once my man champ got it through reputation I stopped using bree.

It's the only main hub (of the four racial travel skills) that has a skirmish camp, vault, auction house, PLUS forge and relic masters, and it is also far less crowded than bree or the 21st hall.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 9:08PM Wisdomandlore said

This. Bree and Michel Delving are pointless compared to Thorin's Hall. It's the only starting area that has a Skirmish Camp, a Forge Master, and a Relic Master.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 9:41PM (Unverified) said

Not only that but the said items are closer together to one another meaning less time wasted going down the mean streets of bree.

If you are a armorer or armsman it is a boon as well since the superior forge is located there as well as both of those professions crafting guilds.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:24PM Tom L said

Don't forget the Superior Forge before the 21st Hall. Rivendell is annoying, even for a Warden.

Ta,

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 2:25PM (Unverified) said

plus you never have to get off your horse!

Posted: Nov 8th 2010 12:59AM Haldurson said

I love Thorin's Hall for all it offers -- that's why I bought a house in the nearby housing development -- as an altaholic, this gave me a convenient enough port for even my non-dwarf characters without rep-grinding. Imho, it's the best located housing district that there is.

Another thing to consider is that you can always quest in other starting areas -- you can, for example, bring your human, dwarven or elven newbie character to Michel Delving for about 80 copper (1 silver without the travel discount). As much as I love Thorin's Hall for its conveniences, the Shire has some of the most interesting and fun quests in the game (least for low-level players). They definitely have a different flavor than the quests in the other starting areas (where else can you get turned into a chicken?)

PAX Prime 2014: Going on a deer hunt in H1Z1