Posted: Nov 5th 2010 9:50AM MewmewGrrl said

Final Fantasy XIV. Ever since I paid for the overpriced "Collector's Edition" in order to play the game early, I haven't played it hardly at all. I've still played a lot of games since that time, just not FFXIV - because I have such a hard time finding *any* fun in the game at all. Every day I think of how much money is wasted by having the game and how I should at least try to play it a little, but every gaming session something else (usually F2P games even) win out over FFXIV because it's just not a very fun game. They gave us an extra month free - so I have an extra month of it sitting around not getting played.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 10:44AM Nef said

Glad I'm not the only one to do just that, heh.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 9:53AM (Unverified) said

Star Trek online. The game Should be called Star Drek. I foolishly bought a lifetime subscription after only having played Beta for a week. After playing for another 2 months at what was and still is an unpolished P.O.S. I stopped playing and started trying to contact Cryptic. They never returned my emails until they put in their support ticket system out of the game. They won't even entertain the idea of a refund or an exchange. I love Star Trek. I own every episode and all of the movies. What they did was take everything that was good about Star Trek and they picked _1_ aspect, space battle, and did a mediocre job with it. There is slightly more content in STO than in Solitaire on windows.

Anyway I am stuck with a lifetime subscription to a total P.O.S. and lesson learned that at Atari and Cryptic customer service ends the second your credit card transaction goes through...

lcp1138

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 9:55AM macscarfe said

EVE, it was my own fault got too involved in corp managment, 0.0 politics, corp forums and "gosh darn" i'm such a loverble person everyone just wanted to talk to me.

It was usually 2 hours after logging in that i could actually undock and target something (red, roid or corp mate) and do what i actually really wanted to do in the game ... blow crap up.

Had to feign AFK for an hour or more just to play the game on a regular basis.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 10:33AM Embolism said

I remember waiting over 2 hours to get a druid bear tank for some 10 man in wow. I cancelled my sub after that.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 10:34AM Justpotatoes said

I'm thinking lots of people read the title here, but not the article. ;)

For me, it would be EQ2... I could log in, intent on doing something completely different, and end up redecorating my house, doing crafting writs, or getting roped into moving things around one of the rooms in the guild hall.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 10:49AM Nef said

I would say EVE, but sitting around chatting while messing with the market kind of is one aspect of 'playing the game'. Market PvP is srs!

I think time spent ice mining would count, though, as that's basically just an AFK experience.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:16AM Snorii said

LOTRO - I still consider it playing, but just using the concept of not leveling my character up, this is the game. I go fishing, I play music, I race horses during festivals... speaking of festivals - run mazes, stomp shrews, run around a haunted house. Chicken runs to Rivendell. Oh, how I wish chickenball wasn't broken...

I also group a lot with kin-mates in lots of group instances which aren't helping my characters, but it is helping the kinship, so however you want to classify that one.

but all of this stuff is a ton of fun for me, so I keep doing it and plan on doing it for some time to come.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:23AM Avernus said

Champions Online. People in my guild got the idea I was good at builds. It is a much more complicated build system than most MMOs, granted, but its not rocket science - I think just not having classes is tough for newer people. I've spent a ton of time instructing people, dueling them, and giving them feedback on how to retcon (respec) to get the most function out of their 'form' - their character concept.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:59AM Heraclea said

World of Warcraft. When I was between guilds, which was fairly often since it seemed they were breaking up and reforming constantly, I would spend hour after hour waiting for pickup groups to recruit a tank or healer.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 12:19PM The Other Chris said

WoW, after I hit L80. I'm not a raider and I hated the simplicity of the 5-mans. Stuck around doing whatever for months just because the guild I was in was awesome. I still yap with them though, good people. :)

Second place would probably be CoH. Too much time at the Market, Tailor, Architect, and tweaking my SG Base. haha

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 12:36PM Tom in VA said

WoW. It's amazing to me how many people really misunderstood the OP's question.

Anyways, for me it was probably WoW. I can spend, well, way too much time just shopping around in the AH or else just exploring lowbie zones I somehow missed.

But then, I'm not sure that *isn't* playing, since I don't use "getting xp" as the measure of whether I'm "playing" or not. For me, if I'm logged into the game and having fun, it's "play", regardless of whether it advances my character or not.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 1:38PM Elwood011 said

It used to be SWG, a person could spend hours trying to find just the right place to put down a miner. But since I started EVE, I'd say that is catching up fast. As others have said, you could easily spend an hour after logging in, and never leave the station. And mining is easy to waste time on while you are actually focusing on something IRL.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 1:49PM (Unverified) said

I would say Global agenda where i played one char to 15 and other to 5, i had no interest in the game after that. Just was too boring for me.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 3:21PM (Unverified) said

I've probably logged just as much time in CoH/CoV character editors over the years as I have in-game >.>

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 3:51PM shiningfury said

Eve Online. Since the game released I've probably spent weeks logged in, just docked in stations doing anything but playing.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 5:54PM Quarlo said

Back when SWG had battle fatigue I would spend hours in Anchorhead with my Mon Cal doctor/entertainer. Or I would until that A Hole Ghostdawg would show up and with his combat medic and ruin the party.

Then they got rid of battle fatique and 1/3 of the social experience in the game went out the window.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:34PM EgoPoisoning said

Definitely CoX. Once I got one toon to the point where I could build a Villain Group, I spent so much time fiddling with my tiny base, or getting someone to become a temporary officer so that they could invite one of my alts (I was a one-man VG), or shuffling items between characters and the vault.

There's also the question of whether wandering around cities in CoX counts for this, since it does eventually award badges that can be worth...stuff. Or so I understand...I was never very good at exploration.

Posted: Nov 16th 2010 8:16PM (Unverified) said

World of Warcraft, I'll often spend hours just circling one of the cities while chatting with friends. The irony being I could do the same for free with instant messenger services heh.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 1:22AM Jeromai said

Hard to say, since my measure of play is also "logged in and having fun." All the filler activities are in fact minigame play to me.

I'd have to say the game I spent the most time in the other screen web-surfing or reading wikis would be ATITD (A Tale in the Desert.)

This is not to say that I didn't enjoy the game, but there were always certain bits of wait-time just long enough to not make it worthwhile walking away from the computer, but also long enough that staring at the game screen was like watching paint dry. (eg. running anywhere far away, waiting for gems to pop up in the gem mine, making beer - pay attention at certain intervals, then let the whole thing go for ~40 mins, running certain items through the forges or making papyrus paper - start it, wait for one or two minutes, click again.)

You could try for optimised mastery with a whole bunch of tasks on your list and multi-task away so that your attention was fully focused in game. Or you could just go the lazy route and do one or two things and spend the wait time elsewhere.

I'd call it "half-playing" the game. Sometimes it's nice to have that kind of experience of one eye on the TV/movie on the other screen, one eye on the MMO, rather than needing full-on attention all the time you're logged in.

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors away in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM