Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:19PM blix2006 said

i always hear you pretty much have to pay a ton of cash to keep up endgame

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:35PM DiscoJer said

That applies to every "Free To Play" game.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 7:01PM blix2006 said

no not true at all you dont for lord of the rings or ddo..sure you get the packs you need and thats it but i hear you have to spend $100s of dollars to keep up

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:24PM jeremys said

The question I always ask is with who or what and in what fashion exactly?

Are you keeping up with 1 or 2 specific players, or is it an "idea" that there is an endgame crowd that you want to join as soon as possible?

Players will come and go everyday. Thousands of players are all playing at their own pace and with their own amount of allowance or monthly spending money.

My answer is that most F2P MMOs don't have any static group at any level(not for long anyway). Everyone will get there when they get there(If they want to get there - many people enjoy the fun trip more than the endgame).

That being said, there will always exist an ideal that there is some magical pool of players that are there for us to always try and compete with. But that pool is really an ever changing pool of people who reach level cap almost everyday(and at their own pace). The point? There is no such thing as saying like "You have to pay to keep up?" because you really aren't keeping up with anyone. At best, players are only conquering the new content as fast as they possibly can.

Also: I'm geared for HotO, Kalin, and (oh... the one in DDC - brain hiccup) and I didn't spend a dime. I obtained mine as a combination of paying gold, trading with my guild-mates, and my higher-level guild-mates handing me stuff for free.

I need to take a survey about this "You have to pay to keep up" thing. I just don't see it as an actual "thing".

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:26PM jeremys said

@Kevin

As a side note: I'd say stop listening to whoever it is, and start listening to Massively (But, come to your own decisions) ;)

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 11:15PM Pingles said

The vast majority of F2Pers never pay a cent. If I'm not mistaken the last thorough study listed it as 70-75%.

In other words, 70+% of Runes of Magic players never buy anything in the cash shop.

When you get to advanced levels you can make things MUCH easier if you spend a few bucks but there are plenty of people playing at max level who have never bothered.

I have played for two years and don't even have a cash shop account.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 4:02AM (Unverified) said

I'm an end game healer for this game and I haven't spent a dime on this game. I do have to work harder than somebody who uses cash for the game but then again I have the time to work harder.

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM