Posted: Nov 11th 2010 7:47AM (Unverified) said

Total fail article.

Nearly all the points can be dismissed in a world of magic. The bikini armor is most likely magically enhanced, which is the true source of its protection. Besides, I didn't see the author complaining about the dudes in [I]300[/I]!

Mages not wearing plate? That has been explained since pencil and dice. Movement. Try crouching down and springing up to release that earth shatter spell in chain mail, not to speak of the years you spent sitting in your ass studying books has not exactly built the muscle mass needed to carry 200 pounds of metal. This is also an argument for bikini armor; speed of reflexes over slow protection.

I'll give him the "kill 10 rats" hardly solves the problem, but a farmer getting pissed at rats or giant spiders or wolves killing his sheep is not hard to understand.

Death over and over would be traumatic? Talk about the weakest of his arguments! The reason I do not climb up the Sears Tower and throw myself off is that I will f**king die when I splat on the street below. If I could do this and survive, even if it hurt like hell, I would do it every day! I'd be the ultimate soldier; send me into Afghanistan and send everyone else home, I'll have this cleaned up in a month.

On top of that, he missed the true weirdness of MMOs. Language. "LFM to 10 man Onxyia. Have pally, x2 priest, x2 hunters. Tank and more DPS needed." That sentence actually makes sense to me now.

Or how about leveling? Talk about weird! You kill one more goblin, and suddenly you can run to a trainer and learn a spell or a wear armor you never practiced with before?

Weak article.

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 3:54PM (Unverified) said

"the dateless amongst us"

The dateless amongst us who are attracted to women, anyway. Those of us who like dudes get less pixelated skin to ogle, alas.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 9:13AM (Unverified) said

WoW has at least three distinct poop-related quests, one of which involves the character doing it. Just saying.

Posted: Nov 10th 2010 9:56AM rsrupert said

That's because that's how they viewed the world at that time. But in a MMO, you would expect a wizard who studied the various elemental type of forces to understand that if you freeze water, it becomes a solid, and if you boil it, it becomes a gas. Besides, in the D&D world (which most fantasy mmo's take their lead), the gods themselves regularly talk to their clerics and this type of information would be imparted. I still stand by my comment of magic being a way of manipulating energy. Different people will do it different ways. Elementalists, wizards, etc. All they are doing is take energy A, do this and you get this result (cast 9th level spell prismatic sphere-->use components and cast spell and the energy leaves the 'magic weave' and creates the spell. Easy. A mentalist or cleric could conceiveably do it, just in a different way.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 4:41PM alycat said

The article left out what I always find most silly about death in RPGs: the revenge quest. Why can't the victim just rez like the rest of us?

You also left out improbable item drops. Those stupid WoW pigs that drop axes twice their size yet rarely possess an actual liver come to mind.

As for "skimpy" armor, I love my mesmers' pretty corsets and dresses. Full plated armor is so boring. I wanna play dress up.

Plus casters aren't meant to be in melee range, and if an opponent gets in close, that's what magical shields are for anyway. Why sacrifice style when you have magic to protect you?

As for going to the bathroom, now you're just being silly. You don't even see people go to the bathroom in movies unless it's actually integral to the plot, ie. John Travolta's poorly timed BM in Pulp Fiction. The whole point of an RPG is to kill stuff. Who wants to waste time on an ingame potty break

Posted: Jan 16th 2011 11:39PM mattwo said

Some of these points are untrue in two of the most popular MMORPGs. Everquest for example, I'm pretty sure you have to eat and drink.

In WoW there's arcane magic. Also there's kids....one of them is even famous it seems (lil' timmy's peashooter :P)