Posted: Nov 4th 2010 10:08PM JanChel said

How about the super-silly number of hits it takes to kill anything. Though I guess this is also true of most of gaming in general, not just MMOs.

I'd like to see a fantasy MMO try a more realistic route of combat with an actual hit being a very severe thing. Not just another handful of numbers taken from your ever increasing pool of health points - which is then all too easily recovered via spell, ability, potion or whatnot.

It is just very silly for it to take more than one dagger stab or an arrow shot to kill a rat for example. Or a pig. Or a man. Ok, exceptions for the dragon, but even then a good brain puncture usually ends such things mighty quick.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:29AM (Unverified) said

As for mages in cloth armor. This comes from the days of DnD. In the DnD world, and indeed the world of EQ which together heavily inspired fantasy MMOs, Mages needed to use hand gestures and even dance steps in order to summon forth the forces of nature. Actually preventing a mage from making wild gesticulations would prevent them from being able to cast. This is also why it is easy to knock a mage out of casting a spell unless they were good at channeling through.

Big, bulky and heavy armor prevented them from doing the necessary movements with the speed and precision needed to cast spells. Clerics meanwhile, were able to cast magic by just summoning the will of their god of choice and therefore didn't need somantic or movement components. You will notice that these type of casters traditionally wear plate mail or heavier armors. Because they can and it would be silly otherwise in a world of swords and magic.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 4:14AM Revrant said

2 is truly endemic to Asian MMOs, I can't look in any direction without thonged female buttcheeks pressed in my face or bouncing super-huge King size cleavage popping me in the chin.

If I were a fourteen year old boy this wouldn't bother me at all(quite the opposite), but I'm ten years older and I like seeing ladies dressed beautifully as opposed to dressed like high priced whores.

So, totally agree, some of the other stuff is a generic point with all games, the kids thing is entirely true, WoW is absolutely criminal in this respect, I'd like to see kids running around playing and stuff. They can just disappear when the killable NPC they're attached to dies from a PvP douche griefing the town, so they aren't "there" amidst all the dead bodies.

But we don't kill them, which makes me and no doubt other people with souls feel better.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 4:52AM tchuks said

Another thing... Copper Ore ............. every game has this item.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:34AM TheGreatMachine said

That element thing has ties to occultism 'magick' where you have the archangels at the four quarters, representing an element. Oh noes I've said too much *..glurk*

Seriously though it's not that hard - Why not have the power to summon the 'Godly Spears of Oobnbloort' for some damage or send your foe into a pocket dimension temporarily for a mez like effect. There's plenty of ways around the tired old elements.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 7:37AM Heraclea said

11. Clergy are medics.

This too makes very little sense from an other-world perspective. You've spent hard years studying New Testament Greek, Talmudic studies, Hadith collections, or the Five Confucian Classics. Congratulations! Here's your scalpel and your 'script pad. Go operate on somebody.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 5:16AM pcgneurotic said

That's brilliant. I've wanted to read this comment for a few days now after I just caught a glimpse of it as I was leaving the page last time.

I guess they're thinking of 'faith healing' as the motivation there, which is an incredibly minor aspect of a religious life (as you pointed out) to base a whole class on. Although having said that, I suppose there is a tradition of monks and priests being called upon to tend to the sick and wounded in times of war and disease, so that's probably more it.

What about Paladins then? What are they, angry monks? They must be angry bishops or something, since MMOG Trope No. 12 is: All Monks Are Oriental. Just once I'd like to see a Monk class that went around with tonsurs wearing sack-cloth robes and getting pissed on cider. ahahaha!

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 8:43AM Matix said

"Seriously, what's in these drinks? If a little bottle of fluid can help me regrow a hacked-off limb, then why hasn't this world risen to the apex of civilization already? Why are we still fighting, when everyone can obviously live forever with a chug of cherry dreams now and then?"

Distilled essence of Sensu beans. Sweet, science-y magic!

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 9:37AM (Unverified) said

Sensu beans classic!!

Nice topic made me chuckle.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 10:03AM Valdamar said

Heh all those points are so true. No wonder I hit fantasy MMO burnout when every fantasy MMO was basically just trotting out the same stereotypes.

Re point 10: I'm glad most MMOs don't have many children NPCs running around - in City of Heroes I can only think of one child NPC and that's one too many - Penny Preston (http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Penny_Preston) - a mutant origin child prodigy with disproportional limbs and a bizarre aged face she obviously stole from a septuagenarian - she freaks me out - truly frightening - shudder!

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 12:02PM Heraclea said

Know the horror that is the Baby New Year:

Posted: Nov 9th 2010 4:14PM Valdamar said

Yeah that's true - I should have thought about Baby New Year - but at least we only have to endure his freakish appearance for only 1 month in every year ;) Though thanks to the inventions system and subsequently the lack of TO/DO/SO drops at higher levels I never really visit Penny Preston much anymore either.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 10:56AM HereticalPenguin said

6, 8 and kinda 10 are why I don't attempt to roleplay in MMO's anymore.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 6:04PM DLemke said

If somebody hasn't pointed out yet... as far as going to the bathroom, In WoW, there is an outhouse where you do poop, and there are several poop quests involving animals.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 9:22AM Rimeshade said

There is an Alliance only one in Grizzly Hills that you can indeed use.

Posted: Nov 11th 2010 6:38PM Solp said

That grizzly hills quest made me laugh so much when I first did it. The whole damn place shook when you dropped the bomb. Then the poor guy had to take the bucket and salvage the seed!

Hahahaha. Good times.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 5:01AM blueimpact said

The cloth mage convention comes from old tabletop discussion and fantasy lore, which has its roots in alchemy and older pseudoscience fields. That is is to say, in the theories of old practices, cloth was best because it allowed you to concentrate and move around freely.

To go back to earlier tabletop games, magic wasn't simply random hand waving. There were specific gestures, step, movements and other ideals for spellcasting.

What happens when a mage wears heavier armor? It becomes harder to move. Can they work around this by getting stronger? Yes, but at the expense of practice that could be spent on magic.

Simply put, the cloth is there as the bare minimum to be comfortable. With sockets and bindings and settings and circuits and glyphs on top of it. Not weird at all, but today's generation of MMO gamers have come up without the tabletops that inspired these systems.

Yes,t his does mean that being naked would be one helluva pewpew. Tribal magi can do this.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 11:50AM rsrupert said

All magic is, when you get down to the basic level, is the manipulation of arcane energy. Different people do it different ways. Elementalist, Necromancer, Blood, Biological, etc. Poison type of 'magic' would fall under Alchemy types. But I still think it'd be incredibly awesome if a MMO would include as many types of magic as possible. The wizard/mage/magi classes would be incredible.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 7:02PM (Unverified) said

There are several toilets in Age of Conan - the Villas in Old Tarantia / Noble district spring to mind as its possible to attack on of the guards mid urination, resulting in him turning and attacking you 'mid stream' as it were ;-)

Also, the game world has a wide variety of prostitutes and at least one quest that, depending upon your dialogue choices, can result in an annoying 'itchy' disease debuff for 10 minutes.

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 1:40PM wjowski said

Honestly, most those could be lumped as general videogame staples.