Posted: Nov 4th 2010 9:56AM (Unverified) said

I am trapped in the Phantom Zone here.

I am dying for a superhero game and was getting amped up DCUO's original release date.

Now I dont know if I should (re-)sub to CoH... or wait for Champions to go f2p or just wait for DC.

I just hope that this game is good when it finally does come out.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 1:02PM madbassman39 said

2 pieces of advice:
1) Champions Online doesn't go free to play until early 2011, around the same time DCUO goes live, so there's no point in waiting for that if its to hold you off till DCUO.
2) Preorder this game now! Before the 15th, take a picture of the receipt and send it in to DCUO (I forgot the link, but its easy to find through their homepage) and by November 30th, maybe sooner, you will be in the beta. If you don't like the game you can still cancel your preorder, no penalties. If you can't wait that long, hop into CoX and enjoy that game for a few weeks.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 10:47AM jpkustra said

I do not care for the combat in DC. It feels like a console game and requires a lot of button mashing. It plays super smooth though so I have to give it props for thinking of both console AND pc users equally.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 10:52AM Luk said

I agree about button mashing game play being too brutal on the mouse if played on PC. Too much console not enough MMO.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 11:46AM Neiloch said

from what i have 'heard' the ranged combat is horrendous. Works terribly and worse for damage output compared to melee in every way. Half the stuff for ranged weapons are melee attacks.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 12:01PM (Unverified) said

so i guess ill either be getting going rogue or waiting on champs?
:p

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 1:45PM (Unverified) said

The new form of combat is wonderful.
It beats the pants off the combat in other MMOs.

Action combat with kiting, dodges, etc...

Other MMOs need to go down this path.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 11:56AM Vrazule said

• 1 heart
.......and the curse continues, one crappy super hero MMO after another. I don't think there's a company out there that knows how to get it right for the majority of PC gamers. Why is it, when a game comes out that is a hybrid of console and PC that the console controls and gameplay always dominate the PC part? Keep them seperate, because you guys have absolutely no desire to do anything but please the console market with these bastardized games.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 12:05PM mandarin said

Save your comments till you have tried the game will you?

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 12:49PM arathil said

...and another person belittling a game that he knows little about and has never even played. Hooray console-bashing bandwagon!

@nickcoffin- I think all the combat is pretty balanced- each "weapon type" has similar DPS to all the others. Brawling looks to be hard and slow-hitting, Guns looks pretty fast, etc. This may make everything too "vanilla", but time will tell I guess.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 1:09PM tk421242 said

Its button mashing, but thats no different to me than pressing tab and 1,2,3,4,5 mashing.

I for one would like to see how they work controlling an MMO with a controller.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 1:46PM (Unverified) said

Action based combat is simply one of the changes MMOs to make a funner game that appeals to a wider audience.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 1:55PM glentendo64 said

Been playing DCUO beta for a few weeks now. Initially, i was impressed with the polish of the combat-- you know animations and what have you. But after getting deeper into the game i have realized that movement and animations and general graphics are just not there yet. YES it is in beta, and hopefully they will iron out graphical issues and movement issues. Flying is clunky.

The biggest problem for me is the menu's and chat system. It is basically set up like pressing the start button on a console game. To enter any of the menus, you have to press escape, or hit a hotkey (which isnt so bad). But it FEELS like the game has been first and foremost created to cater to the console. The worst part is the "Meat" chat system is contained in a menu.... like a console.

The button mashing doesnt work at its current state. You have combos that require "click, click, hold", for example, to preform a special attack and another that is just "hold". If you are attacking you are probably already mashing that button anyways, so when it comes time for the combo you WANTED to do, you may very well be already doing another combo accidently. Not a big deal, but maybe you wanted to use the Single shot power instead of the AoE power.

Not sure if i will be buying anymore :/

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 11:13PM (Unverified) said

Um....dude....what part of NDA do you not understand?

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 1:55PM Neiloch said

I like the idea of action combat, they just need to make ranged combat a viable option. Right now being able to attack at range is 'utility' at best. People who want to do high damage at range in MMO's and video games in general aren't some niche audience.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 2:03PM glentendo64 said

I agree, the only real option i see for ranged combat is CoX.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 2:56PM Space Cobra said

I heard flying was the best travel power out of the three to take (for escaping and what not) and Super-Speed got dumbed-down from Alpha, to make it more fair (no speed-by attacks), this is mainly for PvP, but applies to fighting NPCs, too.

So, what are the pro/cons of the other two travel powers?

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 3:37PM arathil said

Flying is only the best in that you can go straight UP, as opposed to having to run/jump nearer the ground. It'll be interesting to see how they balance it for pvp, or if they'll just not worry about it.

All of the movement powers- you get hit, you slow down for about 5 seconds. Kind of lame, honestly if you're just wanting to scoot through an area and a random mob tags you.

I personally think all of the travel powers are pretty good. Getting to scale or run up tall buildings is just as fun as flying around them. It's one of the things I think they got just right.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 4:44PM Luk said

Not sure if NADA is being broken here, but I can say that DCUO implementation of flying power is much worse than it is done by COX. Maybe it is just buggy, but it is much hard to maneuver using flying than it should be, partly probably because of the console-like controls (hey I am against consoles, but the controls on PC should not suffer because of that).

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 5:03PM Luk said

correction:
"hey I am not against consoles, but the controls on PC should not suffer because of that."
Why on earth do you need to make your toon face up just to fly up? In COH you do not need to, in DCUO you got to position yourself facing in a direction to do anything from flying to targeting, no mouse interface is really bad design, period.