Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 8:10AM Marklar19 said

my current game of choice is Aion, and in that game you can't turn off XP, but if you die, you lose quite a bit...so on a very regular basis I commit suicide 10 or 15 times in a row to erase a pile of XP so I don't move to the next level till I'm ready

why do I do it?? because I'm an MMO completionist type and I like to finish every quest (if possible/findable) and in Aion, the little quest indicators above NPCs stop showing up once you are too high of a lvl, so the only way to do them all, is to die alot to not level. In Aion, there are a TON of quests, there's no way to do them all without this system.

My last game...lotro...had a feature in the options that if you turned it on, the quest indicators would always show up, even if you were 50 levels too high, I really liked that feature as it nullified the need for me to do the above.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 8:13AM (Unverified) said

Reading that made me cringe... Specially in a grind fest game like Aion. How many max level characters do you have?

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 9:45AM alinos said

things must have changed because i remember reaching level 20 and all there was to do was grindy grind half a level so id already completed all the quests

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 1:06PM (Unverified) said

I've only played Aion for about 1.5 months now, so I'm really not sure how it "used to be"...but all i can tell you is now there is WAY MORE than enough things to do, so that if you did about half of the quests, you would easily hit each level...which is why I do the suicide thing, I want to do everything :P

I've heard alot about how it's a grindy game, but as of now I'm lvl 32 and there is an insane amount to do, so much that my quest-log is almost always at 30/30 despite me laboring to complete as many quests as I can

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 8:14AM nevin said

Unfortunately WAR doesn't allow you to turn off the XP gain. I would love them to do so however and have spoken to quite a few other people who would like to as well.
A lot of people say the game starts at rr40 and the lower tiers are painful but I really enjoy the lower tiers and am in no rush.
Getting rvr sc weapons, finishing all the PVE quests, the PQ's to max inf and just enjoying the rvr action in T1 is hard..especially when T1 rvr is so much fun. Why miss out on content you want to experience?

In T2, I am usually about level 17/18 by the time I have completed all the rvr inf and can claim all the elite rewards. This is without doing 1 T2 pve quest or PQ. Not sure if this is typical or slow going compared to others (don't care) but it doesn't leave a lot of time for other stuff. I hardly know any of the T2 zones at all other than the rvr lakes.

A lot of people want to get to the end game but I enjoy getting there and all there is to see in doing so. The other option is loads of alts but that's unsatisfactory.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 8:24AM Tanek said

I really like the option to turn off combat xp in EQ2. It allows me to get some of the Lore & Legend quests completed without worrying about outleveling my weekly dungeon group (yes, there is mentoring available, too, but I still want to stay around group level).

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 3:53PM The Wok said

I used to turn off combat xp in EQ2 to maximize AA gain. Ever since the implemented the slider, though, I've just funneled all my xp to AAs, as it's a better use for it than just losing it.

I have a level 90 character, and she still needs 16 AAs to cap out. I can't imagine the grinding I'd have to do if I hadn't moved xp over. If there's one thing I despise it's pure grinding.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 8:25AM Pewpdaddy said

I typically prefer 1 toon, though I have been known to roll up alts. The only acceptable option I've seen to "turning off" XP, has been AA in EQ. I'll happily turn off my XP to earn some AA points and further customize my build. =]

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 8:40AM Beau Hindman said

I turned it off forever with my "Immersion Rules" character in Vanguard, once he hit level 32. I left him them until he died via the permadeath rules. According to the rules, if he was killed, he was deleted. So, he was! :)

I'm not sure of many other games that allow it.

For me, it represented a realistic stopping point on the way to god hood. I like characters that are sort of ordinary, but while having some ability. And you know what? I saw so much content when I stopped XP'ing, since I had time to explore all of it that I would have skipped otherwise!

Beau

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 1:01PM Sean D said

This is awesome. I think playing in such a manner, with such a mindset, has the potential (for some people, probably not all) to re-instill the fun into the game. It subtracts the goal-orientation aspect of leveling. It makes the game more about the journey than the destination.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 1:33PM Beau Hindman said

Yeh I played Vanguard and other games that way for 2 years. It was a blast, but at times a hassle. I made sure to allow myself to not take it TOO seriously!

It really effected how I play now, though...it's like it put me in a better place for appreciating scenery/quests/lore. I take a lot more time now, or at least notice things more.

Beau

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 8:40AM Morde said

Vanguard allows you to turn off XP from level one on, its quite a useful feature to complete zones and to stay with groups.

Yes, yet another feature that beautiful-but under appreciated game has that no one cares to know about. :D

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 8:59AM Aganazer said

If I wanted to turn off XP I'd play Guild Wars and that is exactly the reason I don't play Guild Wars.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 3:30PM Fakeassname said

+1, well I wouldn't (have) mind(-ed) being able to turn off the XP to explore an area a bit more thoroughly, but getting capped at lvl 20 was game killing to me.

I hit that point just after lions arch due to insisting on completing every single quest, and mapping every area ... some people don't mind the cap but it was too much for me when the content continued to progress, but I didn't.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 4:01AM MrsAngelD said

It would be really nice to have this option in a game for me. I always play games with my hubby and we may not always want to be quest, but out doing other stuff. Sometimes the other stuff(farming) gives us xp and we have a hard time keeping pace with each other.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 9:22AM Tom in VA said

I don't want to turn off XP, but it'd be nice if I could slow it down.

I'd like to see a feature in MMOs with several optional "xp pace" settings (fast, normal, slow, none) for XP advancement. I'd also like to see some kind of reward, achievement, special buff, unique mount, or whatever for players willing to play a character solely at a slower xp rate. It might be kind of interesting to see if players took up that challenge. (This would only work in a game like LotRO or WoW, wherein there was enough quest content to support a slower xp rate.)

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 9:31AM Ocho said

I don't turn off XP gains (most games I play don't even have that option), but I'm really not a power-leveler and would much rather explore through content than rush past it, so I can see why people do it.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 9:36AM asdfate said

twink?

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 9:42AM (Unverified) said

i have done this in City of heroes/villains where you can out level content and want to soak up the story.

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 10:13AM (Unverified) said

I would do it in LoTRO if the option was there; I try to complete the epic quests on-level as much as possible. It would be nice to run around Angmar more doing some of the formerly-endgame content without the possibility of overlevelling for it.