Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 5:24PM (Unverified) said

I haven't played in a few years, but I LOVE kingdom of loathing. One of the most clever games ever made. I would love it if you guys did regular posts on it.

Its a funny game, though, because you start with so few adventures, and can only play a little bit at first. But when you get good, you can play for hours and hours each day trying to maximize your play! It can be as addicting as other MMOs!

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 7:48PM Thremma said

I also hadn't played in a long while, but I just made a new Disco Bandit named Tzabarit and am restarting. I can use a game that makes me laugh.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 10:00PM Zach Adams said

I was heavily into KoL from about 2003-05; after I started playing City of Heroes hardcore I kind of wandered off, first only coming back for holidays and when something new was added, then less and less. I've got a character who was just getting ready to make his third Hardcore Oxy run (I don't even remember what class, sadly; I should log him in again to check before restarting) when they raised the level requirement to take on the Sorceress up to 13.

KOL (and, to a lesser extent, Forumwarz) remind me a lot of Legend of the Red Dragon and its knockoffs in the BBS door era. Same general mechanics, same sense of, for lack of a better description, lonely-yet-persistent world and community (although KoL doesn't have to be lonely like LORD often did).

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 5:44AM JuliusSeizure said

OH, man. I forgot about KoL for ages. I was right into it for a few months many years ago, until I lost regular internet access for an extended period and forgot about it. You just made me roll up an Accordian Thief named Nonsensicles. :)

Posted: Nov 3rd 2010 6:30PM (Unverified) said

I love KoL, been playing it semi-regularly for years. I'm a casual, with only 6 ascensions under my belt (3 of which are HCO), but I still love it. I was a regular on their forums for a long time as well, until I just stopped visiting it during a period of intense shitstorms in my life.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 7:16AM Addfwyn said

I played Kingdom of Loathing ages ago, when I was like a freshman in college, loved it back then, not sure i'd ever go back.

Though I do play a lot of Echo Bazaar/Fallen London. The writing is fantastic and witty, and the world is actually really interesting and engrossing. It follows a similar kinda 'limited action browser game' formula to KoL.

Posted: Nov 5th 2010 3:52PM (Unverified) said

Hi, I'm a KoL addict! Just saw the link here on the KoL Forums, where I spent *far* too much of my time, and thought I'd pop by and say thanks for the great review. It is truly a unique game (I've only failed to spend all my turns a handful of times since I started playing 4 years ago, and none of those times were by choice). I also felt the need to offer a correction - there are many people with ascension counts well into the *triple* digits: http://koldb.com/path_dedication.html. Mine's only double-digits so far, though - I haven't been around as long as some, had a couple periods of extended not-ascending, and my ascension type of choice is hardcore teetotaler.

Posted: Nov 6th 2010 2:05AM (Unverified) said

i got a pretty nice character that i now play occasionally. ascended 21 times, 15 times as hardcore, 6 times as oxycore. (hardcore is you don't have access to your old items and non hardcore skills, oxycore is you can't eat or drink, but can consume buff items like canned oxygen) have around 21 million meat from selling expensive stuff, and just started a new ascension. the only problem with ascending is you start at level 1, and if you're me and a dumbass, you do it right before a major holiday