Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 12:03PM Ironraptor said

"We're very excited to see Champs go F2P but this has no direct impact on Star Trek Online. Our subscription and C-Store model will continue forward without changes."

In other words, we are currently in negotiations with CBS Studios, which may conclude sometime early next year. While internally we are working on how to execute a F2P model in STO. But due to legal reasons we can not comment further about STO going F2P.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 12:12PM CaffinatedOne said

There's that, and I suspect that they're seeing how the CO f2p actually goes before deciding if it's right for STO. Given the prominence of the cstore and the quite casual nature of the game, I suspect that they'll ultimately find it a good fit.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 1:57PM Anatidae said

STO could have been just awesome. As it is, I still think it remains just average. Not horrible, but it gets repetitive pretty fast.

It just lacks depth and perhaps soul. Free would be a good price for a subscription to this game.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 2:14PM Ayenn said

...except CO is not actually going free to play as most "free to play" games are not. It's an expanded trial.

I cannot see how STO could mimic that model. It's already sparse to begin with.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 2:53PM Controlled Chaos said

Moderately disappointing, but I think my thoughts mirror those of the other posters so far. They're likely seeing how CO does as a free to play, but in the mean time, they'll continue to supply their customers with the impressive amount of sparsity. It's weird though...there's a lot of F2P games with a tonne of content...but you pay for it and there isn't a lot there. Well, either way, it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 3:40PM Tom in VA said

STO had a lot of potential that, sadly, has gone unrealized. It's hard for me to imagine going back to playing STO as a subscriber (I recently let my STO subscription end). A month or two in STO was enough for me. I didn't mind the instancing and "solo-ish" nature of the game; I was, however, disappointed that such a character-driven and story-focused IP was here rendered in such dull, lifeless, repetitive tones.

I'd consider coming back to STO if it goes F2P. In the meantime, however, it just doesn't make economic sense to pay $15/month for what is essentially a "play every now and then" type of game. One thing the folks at Cryptic really need to think about is why they are charging WoW-level subscription prices for a game that really cannot hold a candle to WoW. I mean, hello? What do you think is going to happen?

I played STO to get a sense of what Cryptic is all about because I am interested in their next game Neverwinter. I am now considerably less optimistic about Neverwinter than I was, unfortunately, although I am still hoping Cryptic can really learn from its STO and CO mistakes, as Jack Emmert has repeatedly affirmed in many recent interviews that it has. We'll see, I guess.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 3:49PM (Unverified) said

DStahl is getting STO on the right track, what with the weekly episodes, and UGC coming out soon.

I have to admit, I wouldn't play STO if I didn't have an awesome fleet. It adds so much more to the game.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 3:55PM Harley Dude said

If the next set of "weekly episodes" isn't coming out until January, can you really call them "weekly"?

The only way this game isn't F2P in 6 months is if their agreement with CBS forbids it.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 4:44PM (Unverified) said

They are weekly within their series. You can't really expect a fairly small company to whack out an awesome mission every single week, when they are busy working on the next major patch.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 4:55PM darrenkitlor said

Some clarification:
+The current weekly series runs into mid-November.
+The next weekly series starts in December and runs through January.

Not sure how Massively was reading this wrong.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 5:46PM Ayenn said

So why would people play a game they think is not good enough for a sub if they have to pay MTs out the wazoo to play? You end up paying more for the model most thing F2P should be than you do for a sub. Illogical much? Think about it for longer than it takes to jerk your knee.

Dan Is trying to get STO headed in the direction is should have been in the first place. When that happens you can bet it will NOT go F2P, ever. Though remotely possable STO probebly will always be a sub game. They have excess subs over their "black line". Whit risk breaking that for a handful of "possable" new subs?

I can see them doing an extended trial that ends at Lieutenant Commander that mimics the CO F2P proposal but no more. Anything beyond that is about as likely as world peace in the next 20 years.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 6:41PM pcgneurotic said

Funny how we're looking at every AAA sub-based title now and saying, 'When F2P?', and even getting miffed when something *isn't* officially going that way. Earlier this year, the general consensus was 'F2P! Anathemaaaa!!'. Gamers. A fickle bunch to be sure.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 6:53PM SiML said

Errr, StarTrek Online is already free-to-play because the free trials are never-ending, and thats just what the silver-membership 'freemium' model of CO is - a never-ending restricted free trial.
So whats the big deal?.

Soon only 'big' title MMos like Sw:ToR will be charging a monthly fee, and the moment one of these handful of biggies tries a F2P model - Within a year or two they all will.

WRUP: Lucky Korea