Posted: Nov 1st 2010 9:59AM Audacious said

BUT JEF WOW DOESN'T DO IT AND 12 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS ARE ALWAYS RIGHT!!11!!1!one!eleven

No really. That's pretty much the most common argument I've heard against housing in more MMO's.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 10:46AM Bhagpuss said

Housing is pretty much a "must" for me in MMOs nowadays and EQ2 has the best there is.

Saylah's posts over on Mystic Worlds about setting up her furniture business on EQ2X give a pretty good flavor of how housing adds value to the whole MMO experience.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 11:20AM (Unverified) said

Housing in EQ II is excellent but the world pays the heavy price of ghost town cities because everyone is hanging out in their GC or house; this is the main reason WoW hasn't and probably will never implement it.

I wish developers could find a way to make both Cities and housing useful enough to attract players.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 12:16PM Audacious said

Because I need a bunch of naked Blood Elves dancing on top of mailboxes and lagging up my 2 X 5 inch capital cities (okay, it's just Dalaran that suffers the population density issues, but whatever) to feel immersed. Can you remember the last time you actually stopped to talk to all those other players running around the capital cities and didn't make use of any of the dedicated channels for your trading, raid finding, or other miscellaneous needs?

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 1:33PM (Unverified) said

@raze

Everyone wants to go to the party/bar with all of the hot girls even if they fully know they will never actually interact with any of them ;).

"But I could..."

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 2:43PM (Unverified) said

This really isn't about your WoW hate Raze, all I said was it would be nice if developers could make both housing and cities worth hanging out in.

You may return to throwing darts at Christ Metzens picture now.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 2:31PM Space Cobra said

I will offer one other thing I have found out that seems to include housing.

It takes up server space.

IMO, yes, server space seems cheaper than ever, but there seems to be "something" that prevents Devs actively inserting player housing into every MMO. STO claimed, with the number of things under a player's account, such as costumes, character slots, ship slots, ships, bridge officers, etc., that they had to be careful on more customization things (this said around March/April 2010). Of course, one of their goals is player housing (depicted as ship interiors) and you may get multiple versions of that depending on how many ships and interior bridge pieces you have. So, this seems like a genuine technical aspect.

That is not to say I don't love player housing, I do. I just want to understand the true arguments preventing it in many games.

IMO, I will also add that, I feel, many devs planning MMOs in the planning stages do not give it a second thought. Actually, I see this trend continuing due to the types of games that are being released en masse and certain attitudes I am reading about on forums (or complete evasion of an answer by Devs). The trend seems to be "quick and dirty" games as opposed to full-fledged designed worlds with intricate stories: of course, not all upcoming MMOs fit this (SW:ToR plans to have housing), but I see many that do.

The "dangerous addictive" philosophy is not being followed (but that is my own name/view of it: basically, I mean create a world that is hard to log off from and go back to your real world through various means in one game, including player housing). Games are less about "encompassing all things in one game" nowadays and more about "bring forth your basic PvP and PvE quests and we are done for the day!" models.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 1:09PM (Unverified) said

I am kind of a house addict, I spent way to much gold on my little apartment in EQ2, and went out of my way to buy a house in LOTRO before I could really afford it. XD

I think it's an excellent gold sink. Tie some achievements to it, and people would be spending gold on it like crazy. Have some things like inventory in it, and people will be all over it.

One Shots: Hello, autumn