Posted: Nov 1st 2010 5:52PM Distaste said

You're right that the biggest issue with that game is the gear modding. I don't know how things are now but back near when it launched the gap between non-cash shopped items and cash shopped was night and on the surface of the sun. Some instances were literally IMPOSSIBLE without the modded gear, especially as a knight, and is one of the reasons I quit. It's pay to win, flat out that simple.

The problem though is that they cannot fix this anymore. It's too late. People paid money to win and now you can't take away the advantage they paid for. The sad part is that when modded gear wasn't an issue(pre-50) the instances were pretty fun. I remember the Necropolis of mirrors being a big challenge at correct levels, especially with the reflect ability and the debuff that does AOE team damage.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 7:02PM jeremys said

@Disataste

NoM and Mystic Altar are two of my favorite instances. MA is just so well late out, vaired and has fun multiple requirements.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 7:11PM jeremys said

[EDIT] Sorry :P

@Disataste

I'm not really trying to address the cash-shop side of it. I think it is a disparity that exists regardless of money.

My speculations on Guild Wars 2 is that they have a very similar system compared to RoM. They are going to offer the ability to add bonuses to gear to let you keep that gear longer. However, GW2 has a forced limit on this, probably to keep things in check. I think it will work well for the game.

RoM has more of an unbridled freedom to let people upgrade armor to crazy amounts. Even if it were a sub-based game, I think it would create this disparity. Likewise, I think if GW2 tried it, they would see a similar problem crop up.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 9:46PM Distaste said

@Jeremy

The system in GW2 I don't think will be anything like RoM, I'm thinking more like gems in WoW.

In RoM the sky is the limit if you have enough time/money. I personally know of a guy who spent well over a $1000 on a single set of gear. If you don't pay money then upgrading your gear to be decent is a long and tedious process. Buy a ton of stones, find matching stones to maximize the stats you can rip. Making the t6 stones took hours of creating new characters and leveling them to 10, sending them the stones, transmuting, etc. Then you had the upgrade stones that literally had like a 10% chance of upgrading gear and cost a good chunk of change.I remember getting a piece of gear to +2 with them and it took 100 stones to accomplish it. Basically while upgrading/transmuting was available to non-paying people it was a long, complicated, and tedious process to do it right. Even doing it right left you at 1/6th or even 1/10th of the potential of someone that paid.

If RoM was subbed and there wasn't any cash shop it would have cut down on the "god" characters a lot. A lot of those people didn't want to do the tedious work and thus if they couldn't pay for it they wouldn't do it. I also think that if RoM was sub based they wouldn't have the immense hurdles in the upgrading process that they currently use to get you to pay.

In GW2 I think you'll be able to choose a crest(set bonus) to "socket" and that's about it. The transmutation stones they have is solely for transferring the look of one piece of armor to another. You won't be able to buy and advantage, you will be able to buy a semi-unique look if you want to though. I don't think there will be anything exponential or stat stacking like in RoM.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 6:54PM Xtofer said

If I wanted to deck my character out in modded gear in RoM, how much would it set me back? Do most players expect to do this? I play the game very lightly and not even enough to really see what the game has to offer, but I've been interested in maybe taking more of a leap into the game for fun lately.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 7:08PM jeremys said

@Xtofer

Well. That question will get you as many answers as there are MMOs. But you can check out my article on how I feel about pay vs. free-play: http://www.massively.com/2010/06/28/lost-pages-of-taborea-you-can-play-for-free/

You can also always skim through any past articles: http://www.massively.com/category/lost-pages-of-taborea/

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 4:47PM Thrasher said

lots and lots and lots........ lol.
to try and summerize a little to reach mid to end game raiding ability is very costly first you have to buy the pur stones to transmute with usually around 5 bucks for an 8 or 10 pack when they are on sale and it takes 6 stones min to stat out just one piece of gear, on top of this you can stack stand AND also + gear +ing gear adds hidden attributes like a cape +1 adds 5 stam +2 adds 15 +3 adds 25 etc.
the stones you buy to do this have a med to low success rate so u usually get to +2 or +3 then use ruby shop stones (you get free rubies w cash shop purchases) which are 100% working.
THEN there is also the ability to "tier up" the gear . example you have t4 and want t5 well it takes 3 t4 stones to make one t5 stone (remembering you need 3 stones min to stat anything.) (some peeps have t 5 t6 gear and t12 weapons)so you can do the math from there

Now comes the fun part, to do this without paying other players staggering amounts of gold for the stats means: you start running dungeons like cyclops lair and kalin shrine for stat drops build some gear and then move on to the next instances to do it again (and again and again) this is where most people get upset realizing that the gear they spent 40 bucks on is good for 2 or 3 instances before you need more.
I played from beta to ravenfells opening on one server grinding it out cash free it was hard but i did it. then I maxed two toons to 55/55 on another server but that time i used cash because the diamond/ auction house is a joke now.
I am also one of those 1000 dollar players and I got tired of the constant money sink at high levels but your not doing ANYTHING riad or end game related without this gear.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 8:38PM TheGreatMachine said