Posted: Nov 1st 2010 3:03PM Dumac said

I felt like the rewards for the halloween quests were surprisingly large, and that certainly raises the bar for anything else that involves the same exact items IE trick or treat bags. If you couple that with the fact that Mad King had the same dialogue looping all day, and that people are going crazy for titles for HoM points, you got yourself the perfect circumstances for someone to be displeased with half an hour of typing /laugh and /flex for 15 bags.

As for the stuff involving community managers, well that's a bit more complicated, but expectations are created and everyone has a different threshold of how much teasing they can withstand with no end/release date in sight, and maybe just wanted to get that message across to ArenaNet, a company they are not looking to have a personal relationship with.

I'm not trying to defend anyone, i'm just trying to rationalize this because you seem like you jumped to conclusions before putting things into perspective, and your article sounds like it was written by a mother disappointed by her kids.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 3:20PM (Unverified) said

i completely and utterly agree with you. I noticed it too. I was enjoying myself with guildies at MKT and every single time he shows up, people are complaining about this and that, not getting what they want, no hat straight away. they randomly resorted to making fun of the mad king. quality of this sense of "fun" is really depreciating.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 3:33PM Ocho said

Hey Rubi! Well, I completely agree with you... this was the first time that I experienced the Halloween stuff, and over any other game, I thoroughly enjoyed GW's the most. My first character finally hit 20 because of them.... but for me, they weren't that terribly easy... they were a little more challenging and took me quite a few tries, and I only got through maybe 3 of the quests total, not even full quest lines... but it was because of that difficulty that I enjoyed them (not for nothin', although LotRO's haunted burrow was a lot of fun the first run through... after I figured it out, it became too easy and lost its appeal... that and the fall tokens didn't give a whole lot of return on investment... didn't take a whole bunch to get things... one of the GW quests I completed had me sneaking past one of the most difficult bosses in the game and then aggroing entire rooms of mobs as I basically corpse-ran through the Masoleum at level 17. That was a lot more fun, imo. :) ). BUT I enjoy the holidays in games because of just that... the holidays and the fun. If the game didn't have any holiday celebrations, and didn't give out fun tokens, I would probably still play it.

I believe what is going on is a (and I hate to intone the name of the elephant) "WoW-ification" of sorts. One of the reasons why I left WoW is that, overall, the community felt too selfish, too needy, and overall untrustworthy. It was not that way in the beginning, but it grew over time to become what it is now. Whether it is the "corporation" type guilds where you have to have interviews and applications and internship-type trial runs, down to the kill-stealing, griefing, ninja-looting masses. If you didn't have the most items, or the best items, it wasn't worth playing, and you got them any way you could. Larger populations and loot-based games will do this. The game, fun, and story becomes secondary to the epeening majority. Its immaturity at its finest.

And sadly, where GW enjoyed a mid-range population, and the immature part of the bell curve of players was there, but you didn't encounter them often. During one of the Halloween events, I saw the population of Lion's Arch seperated into at least 110 different districts to hold all the people. 110! Thats a lot of people! And with the burst of population comes with it the increase in the immature population that are greedy, demanding, "or else", ninja-looting (can't really do it in GW, but they would if they were able), ungrateful, etc. For every person that steals information or demands more or just sees the game as more than just a game... there are a great number of people who do not. The number of mature people also grows with the number of immature, they're just much more quiet... Its just the nature of the MMO beast. WoW has it, LotRO is starting to feel it, and now GW is starting to feel it as well.

Overall, doesn't ANet still have two novels to release before the game comes out? I have put my best guess at a release date of around 3rd quarter of 2011 based on release of class information and release of novel dates... So having a well-estimated timeframe, I can be patient. In that time period, I'm going to try to see as much of GW1 as I possibly can, take in the lore, and partake of all the fun I've been missing all along.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 3:41PM Tagon said

Wait Stephane a guy? Hmm you learn something new every day.

I do agree with you though about the Videos and the feeling of entitlement that seems to be growing. I want the next bit of information as much as the next person but I am happy to wait and see in the mean time I am going to enjoy what I am given. And did you really see someone complain that the Mad King only gave 1 bag at a time? Some people should just learn to laugh with the Mad King or die. After all what is the difference between someone that doesn't laugh at his jokes and a corpse?

I don't know either. (that is my favorite joke)

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 4:53PM bylthe said

Wow , where you writing about Guild Wars or American Politics and our sense of American Entitlement. Areanet is like the American government, they can not cut Social Security, Medicare, or raise the retirement age with out a revolt on there hands. Give me, give me, and give me some more.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 9:57AM (Unverified) said

Hmmm... "What's the difference between Lazarus the Dire and Kormir? One never got what he deserved, and the other never deserved what she got!"
Favorite NornThorn (He is WAY to massive to be human) joke. Thusly, about the current fan-idiocy-storm: What's the difference between ANet and those griefers? I think you can guess.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 5:50PM DevilSei said

Maybe its just me, but I haven't seen much of the dissent. I did see some people calling Thorn a few names, and well, besides laughing at how dumb that is, didn't pay it much mind.

It's definitely (or rather very most likely) a result of the HoM (sadly) and people thinking that once GW2 is out, they can't gain anything else from it. I've been taking my time, despite wanting to get a good chunk of it filled out. As well as the huge inflow of information over the Summer, which will obviously die down as little, if any major shows occur during the fall and winter period, and is focused more upon releasing games, not discussing.

Personally I've never understood why people could get angry to the point of insulting the devs right in their (well, virtual) face. I've gotten annoyed at devs, sure, but it would generally be aimed towards money-only pets and mounts, cash shops ruining my fun, dumb design, or the like. Not some entitlement of information.

Some people just need to down a few chill pills...

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 6:37PM ktastic said

I saw nothing different than I saw every other year. 110 US Districts is no more or less than other holiday events, people always whine at the NPCs and call people stupid for doing the games.

I am *really* sad that I missed the quests, though, since they offered such huge rewards; it's disappointing to me that I hung around for the mad king two or three times when I apparently should have been out questing >:

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 7:47PM CricketB said

I have to admit I found the negativity fairly annoying and it took a tiny bit of fun out of the Mad King visits, although those are still hilarious. I love his jokes and I think this year my favorite was "In two hundred years' time... YOU WILL ALL BE DEAD" - I think it proves that Anet is aware of the needling and the pushiness, but they've got a sense of humor about it.

Honestly, I've run into a lot of lovely people over the last couple of days. Thanks to the HOM reveal I got back into the game and had a chance to finally sell some of that stuff I'd always hoarded for the right time. And people have been unfailingly polite to me, during trades, or when I try to find Zaishen groups, or even when trying a UW run for that 2009 Halloween quest.

There are a few bad apples out there, it's true, but I think they were always there and will continue to log on just for the purpose of complaining about something. The costumes are very nice and I see them around a lot - it's hard now, for me, to decide between wearing my Shining Blade outfit or the Raiments of the Lich. There's just something about those thigh high boots and the wings!

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 8:45PM (Unverified) said

Well Rubi after all the replies above I think the picture is getting clearer, more fan = more immaturity. The satisfied and patient people are the ones you won't hear from unless they have a compliment to give you. I think Anet is doing a wonderful job. Even I get impatient and I'm filled with anticipation so when I'm bored from a certain lack of juicy bits I come to the forum less and turn my attention to other games.

If I'm not mistaken Guild Wars is for 12 years old and above that's very young but also very impatient, we're dealing here with the I want it yesterday generation. Also while online they are without parent supervision, meaning they can be very ungrateful and curse at you every other word.

Sadly enough Anet employees can't become their online parents so a software must replace that preventing them form typing certain words. I'm aware that Guild Wars already has one but I think that it must now include more words, banning not only cursing word but also any words leaning towards ungratefulness and rantings to a point of zero tolerance.

I've seen it done on some forums and it works Guild Wars Guru doesn't have it I think. I think it's one thing to speak your mind and voice your opinion but to do so without respect and consideration for Anet employees after all their hard work is unacceptable. Keep up the good work and your spirit up. :)

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 9:06PM lucas42 said

I hope the first thing ArenaNet does after releasing GW2 is to write the book on how to release games (assuming they live up to the standard they've set for themselves). I am enjoying the ride, from the restrained hype to the genuine excitement. I am so fed up with how A-list games are released, being beta-point-five with patches expected within a week.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 9:38PM (Unverified) said

I wish these events weren't limited to a single day. :(

If I had those furry ears I wouldn't need to spend anymore time looking at Final Fantasy XIV.

Posted: Nov 1st 2010 10:02PM BarGamer said

Having worked many holidays (and the days afterwards) in the retail industry, let me assure you that this overblown sense of entitlement doesn't occur only online, much less Guild Wars.

Some customers simply will not be happy with what you give them unless you cram their SUVs full of free product, and encouragement to come back tomorrow and do it again. At my store, we have never subscribed to the yellow-bellied "The customer is always right" concept. Rather, we respect the customer, acknowledge that mistakes happen, and if they are still not happy, call the manager, and get back to work as quickly as possible. 99% of the time, they leave happy and come back. 1% of the time, they're a known scammer and shoplifter, and we are instructed to call the police if they come back.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 2:29AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
You're an embarrassment to journalism Rubi. You are the most biased joke for a source of gaming information I've seen covering Guild Wars. Keep writing entries like this one and I'm sure ArenaNet will keep giving you exclusives, after all it's natural to favour the media that does your PR excuses for you. I found it laughable when you ranted at PC Gamer's journalistic credibility considering you are basically an extension of ArenaNet's PR department mixed with blind fangirl dribble.

ArenaNet are game designers and they should have known that by increasing the resource rewards for quests they would make the resource rewards from the Mad Kind far less appealing and almost meaningless. Why have them if they are meaningless? ArenaNet should have seen this problem coming and buffed other rewards to keep pace with the better rewards from quests (quests people otherwise wouldn't have done).

As far as players being greedy for reward, well again that's the game designer's fault. When there were no titles linked to festival items there was no economy for them. Players received and used them without a care and enjoyed them for what they were - there was no pressure to collect as many as possible in the shortest amount of time and you couldn't sell them because they had little to no value beyond the novelty of 3 seconds of pixel glitter. Once ArenaNet created a title and gave title's greater value via the HoM they turned festival items from a novelty fun thing into a resource to be conserved and desired. Not only did you want to save them or sell them, but if you use them on the wrong character you "waste it" on the title progression (because it's single characters not account wide).

If you had any critical thinking ability at all you would have seen this and if you had basic journalistic values you would have included this in your post. Instead you get on your high horse ranting at players for being disappointed in a situation where ArenaNet had all the control and stuffed it up.

As far as passionate fans, wow could be brown nose more than that? No company would ever be upset that their fans are that passionate. No PR person would ever say something as stupid as that because it's full on crazy and fangirl blind. ArenaNet has passionate fans - that's something to celebrate. They found the video early - good for them. Those videos were intended to be shown to the public - the audience that was supposed to get them got them. Honestly, I saw the video on the ArenaNet site before I heard of the early leak and it didn't effect how I reacted to them one bit - I don't care if it's on some page with "paragraph after paragraph" of information (it was kinda lame you tried to make it sound like a lot) or if it's some youtube video. As a journalist it's embarrassing to see you argue against freedom of information especially when it didn't harm ArenaNet, especially when you attack the passionate fans for doing that. The forums are filled with passionate fans dissecting every piece of information they've given us looking for things like this.

As for the blog posts, well people are free to express their opinions about ArenaNet's information rate of reveal or the kinds of content they reveal. Mindlessly praise ArenaNet every time they pass wind and we end up with a room full of hot hair, not a better experience. That blog post was pretty meaningless, I think the point most people were making is no post would have been better than that post. As far as the dervish update is concerned, the class has been broken for years and the play styles and builds it is capable of is no-where near the standards of other classes. We were promised an update months ago (originally they were supposed to be bi-monthly) and we still have nothing. I guarantee you a dervish update would mean more to the GW1 community than a bunch of token Halloween quests.

Final note. It's condescending for you to keep calling the discontent people as the vocal minority. I wasn't aware you conducted a poll to see where the fans sat on the range of satisfaction. Most of the people I know express views different from the ones you put forward in your article. You don't like it when I call you an extension of ArenaNet's PR department combined with fangirl dribble so shove off and stop undermining the views of others based on your opinion.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 7:36AM (Unverified) said

"shove off" ? It's Rubi's blog dude. Thanks for helping to vividly illustrate the point Rubi was making.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 8:32AM (Unverified) said

The point of this blog in my opinion is that everyone is entitled to their opinions and to play how they want, but they shouldn't complain about A-Net's way of doing things, as this game is their idea of a game. If you don't share that view, it's your problem and no use complaining to other people.

Summing up - It's A-Net's game, they can do what they want, if you don't like it, it's not the game for you.

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 3:53AM (Unverified) said

Having recently switched to a different guild in the same alliance due to immature players I'm right there with you on that note.

On October 31st I went to both LA and Kamadan (and quite like both masks), spent some time as a drunken face-planting Rainbow Phoenix, some more time as a candycorn person with a flaming head, dutifully followed the Mad King's "suggestions" and had a great time.

I completed the Kamadan quest chain (pretty easy), and the first part of each of the LA quest chains - the UW chain is tough for me due to severe rubberbanding (I'm Australian) and the dragons in the other chain just plain kicked my butt.

The festivals and other special events in Guild Wars are fantastic, and I participate in them whenever I can. By and large I've found other players to be equally excited but there's always a few complainers. Depending on my mood I either bait them or ignore them.

I'm really looking forward to GW2 (whenever it's ready, I can wait!) and the festivals there. How cool would a Halloween themed shooting gallery be? :-D

Posted: Nov 2nd 2010 10:26AM (Unverified) said

There is more to the disappointed fan reaction than mere entitlement. Imagine if you sat down with your kids Christmas morning and started opening presents, and told them, "some of these presents go with your last present, which will be your really big gift", and then several presents in you break for a meal and just ignore the rest of the presents all day, and further, all week. ANet has basically set up this scenario by establishing a constant stream of reveals for several months in the Spring, and then practically running dry for a few months now. They were asking for the attention by providing this information, and it's hardly surprising some people would get annoyed that they are tuned in to a dead air channel waiting to see if they "will soon resume your regularly scheduled broadcast".

I suspect ANet simply began the hype machine too early, and the game is still nearly a year away from completion, so they don't have enough finished content to keep up the pace of reveals. How many companies advertise a product and finish the ad by saying they don't know when the product will be ready? I have little doubt in ANet's dedication to "getting it right" before they release GW2, and ultimately this policy will pay off, and it's certainly the right one. But they need to be smarter about making their marketing dovetail with their design philosophy. One thing they could do is at least establish a date for the next reveal, and sometimes the topic (sometimes saying its a surprise). Then the blog updates that appear more randomly will be little bonuses, not potential disappointments because they aren't meaty enough.

Posted: Nov 4th 2010 8:24AM (Unverified) said

i had a wonderful time at the halloween event. and i am a patient gamer. i check gw2.com frequently for updates but i know that its all in the master minds plan. its that people today cant stand not having something NOW. when in all honesty i think the time period building up is like making a slow cooked meal. give it TIME it will taste better :3. i hate the fact we gotta deal with immature impatient players. and with the generation of NOW we forget that things take time. and trust me Anet. take your time and make this baby into the beautiful creature it needs to be, and dont skimp on the rainbowey feathers!

Posted: Nov 7th 2010 2:42PM (Unverified) said

LOL.

I wouldn't call it a sense of "entitlement" but the phenomena is definitely not something one wouldn't expect. I trawl the internet for news, watch every single video post on youtube, check the official website for updates and keep track of Anet twitters.

The recent weeks has seen a cooldown of new information and I must admit I am feeling rather let down...slightly upset, and maybe angered....then I realize: OMG, I have become *stereotype alert* that "crazy girl" waiting for "him" to call.

In my defense, Anet did such a immaculately wonderful job in wooing us with all the hype: their manifesto movie, the skill videos of the released classes...in geekdom those were like the best first dates ever. And all the previews from gamescon/PAX became reinforcement on what a great catch GW2 would be.

I couldn't blame those who went hunting for the necro videos pre-release...it's no more than cyberstalking someone on facebook or myspace. Yes, for some of us it has become a gamer's obsessive love-affair...so we end up in front of computers, refreshing webpages, checking mobiles for texts, and when "he" doesn't call, we become agitated.

Little surprise that when Anet shows up in new costumes, this bunch of emotionally-questionable eccentrics would go up to them and scream as to why they've seem to have disappeared when we were all so ready to *AHEM* buy the game, bring it home, and put their enormous content into our hard-drives.

Yes. Well. Sob.

Anyway, I have since moved on...I understand that Anet has been really busy...amongst things wooing new fans in France and what-not. But I will always have my Manifesto video (which I downloaded from their site) to replay on those lonely nights.

Signed,